United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-01-2020, 11:33 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Ferguson thought appointing Moyes was a good idea though. Let's not take his view (imagined or otherwise) as gospel on this topic.
And he also got his tactics wrong in the odd important game. He still knows a damn site more about managing the club that any of us will ever do.

He's a Director of the club, no? And had the following to say in his second biography (copied and pasted after a quick Google). To think he might not have been consulted and given Ole his absolute blessing doesn't make sense to me:

"His thought processes underpinned his skills," Ferguson wrote. "He had that analytical mind. As soon as he arrived in a shooting position, he had it all sized up. He had mental pictures everywhere.

"Yet he didn’t play all the time because he wasn’t the most aggressive of strikers. He developed more of that later, but was a slender young man without the physique, in his early days, to clear a path. In games, sitting on the bench, and in training sessions, he would make notes, always.

"So, by the time he came on he had analysed who the opponents were, what positions they were assuming. He had those images all worked out. The game was laid out for him like a diagram and he knew where to go and when."

Fergie was also reported to have some sort of consultancy role in team matters when Ole took over.

Unread 09-01-2020, 12:38 AM
ScarFace

Ole is getting sacked before feb. Thank £#%&!.

Loved him as a player but he's terrible as a manager at this level.

Unread 09-01-2020, 01:17 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
And he also got his tactics wrong in the odd important game. He still knows a damn site more about managing the club that any of us will ever do.

He's a Director of the club, no? And had the following to say in his second biography (copied and pasted after a quick Google). To think he might not have been consulted and given Ole his absolute blessing doesn't make sense to me:

"His thought processes underpinned his skills," Ferguson wrote. "He had that analytical mind. As soon as he arrived in a shooting position, he had it all sized up. He had mental pictures everywhere.

"Yet he didn’t play all the time because he wasn’t the most aggressive of strikers. He developed more of that later, but was a slender young man without the physique, in his early days, to clear a path. In games, sitting on the bench, and in training sessions, he would make notes, always.

"So, by the time he came on he had analysed who the opponents were, what positions they were assuming. He had those images all worked out. The game was laid out for him like a diagram and he knew where to go and when."

Fergie was also reported to have some sort of consultancy role in team matters when Ole took over.
Fergie also thought David Moyes should be manager of Manchester United.

Unread 09-01-2020, 01:26 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Fergie also thought David Moyes should be manager of Manchester United.
It's hard to tell if a post on the internet is being sarcastic, but in case you didn't read it, that was the very point I was responding to.

Unread 09-01-2020, 01:45 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
It's hard to tell if a post on the internet is being sarcastic, but in case you didn't read it, that was the very point I was responding to.
Apologies

Later on he did also oversee us hoovering up players like Young, Smalling, Bebe whilst rivals signed Hazard, Aguero, Kompany etc

Unread 09-01-2020, 01:55 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Apologies

Later on he did also oversee us hoovering up players like Young, Smelling, Bebe whilst rivals signed Hazard, Aguero, Company etc
TBF he did bring in Van Persie and De Gea, at the time, and the Da Silva twins not long before

Unread 09-01-2020, 02:45 AM
shenwen

We can't surely be comparing Ole's situation with Fergie? It's madness. We've got to get out of this sentimental, nostalgic mindset (one which Ole also revels in) and face some hard truths. We've been bad under Ole. Worse than any manager since Fergie. That doesn't mean he should be sacked - we all agree that the bigger issues are operational - but it also doesn't mean his bad performance can be excused by referencing to what happened almost 40 years ago with possibly the greatest manager the football world has ever seen If anyone is hoping that Ole is fergie Mark II - sorry, life doesn't happen like that. We've got to be dispassionate about this.

Was thinking last night about what Ole is missing. Maybe it's that element of madness. Most of the best managers have it - Fergie, Pep, Mou, Klopp. Ole just seems too soft for the task ("yeah, but behind the scenes he's got a mean streak" ). Sitting on the bench looking at his shoelaces when the opposition score (copyright Sparky) and smiling through post-defeat press conferences doesn't cut it. He needs some steel and I'm not sure he's ever going to get it.

Unless we see a productive January window and a huge upturn in results, I think he'll go at the end of the season. It would be sad, but if his current win ratio continues it's the best and most pragmatic solution. In answer to those who say who would you replace him with - anyone. In no job would you keep an under-performing manager simply because you can't guarantee a successful replacement. There are no guarantees. You just need to do your due diligence (I know, Woodward) and try again.

Unread 09-01-2020, 06:56 AM
puressence

Quote:
Apologies

Later on he did also oversee us hoovering up players like Young, Smelling, Bebe whilst rivals signed Hazard, Aguero, Company etc
company

Unread 09-01-2020, 08:22 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
We can't surely be comparing Ole's situation with Fergie? It's madness. We've got to get out of this sentimental, nostalgic mindset (one which Ole also revels in) and face some hard truths. We've been bad under Ole. Worse than any manager since Fergie. That doesn't mean he should be sacked - we all agree that the bigger issues are operational - but it also doesn't mean his bad performance can be excused by referencing to what happened almost 40 years ago with possibly the greatest manager the football world has ever seen If anyone is hoping that Ole is fergie Mark II - sorry, life doesn't happen like that. We've got to be dispassionate about this.

Was thinking last night about what Ole is missing. Maybe it's that element of madness. Most of the best managers have it - Fergie, Pep, Mou, Klopp. Ole just seems too soft for the task ("yeah, but behind the scenes he's got a mean streak" ). Sitting on the bench looking at his shoelaces when the opposition score (copyright Sparky) and smiling through post-defeat press conferences doesn't cut it. He needs some steel and I'm not sure he's ever going to get it.

Unless we see a productive January window and a huge upturn in results, I think he'll go at the end of the season. It would be sad, but if his current win ratio continues it's the best and most pragmatic solution. In answer to those who say who would you replace him with - anyone. In no job would you keep an under-performing manager simply because you can't guarantee a successful replacement. There are no guarantees. You just need to do your due diligence (I know, Woodward) and try again.
...unless the next one he hires is big Sam

Unread 09-01-2020, 09:19 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Tbf people have no faith in that process, at the rate we bin players off and replace them we will have a squad capable of challenging in 4 years if we're lucky.

People are arguing that a manager should be able to do better with what we have available in the meantime, I don't necessarily agree but when you see teams spending less and getting more out of both tactics and results it is extremely frustrating.
By which time Liverpool and City have moved even further ahead of us...

Unread 09-01-2020, 10:29 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

A fair and well made post. But likewise, you've got to question whether Fergie's hairdryer would have worked in this day and age, what with player (and agent) power reaching such silly heights. In 2020 nearly every premier league player is a wannabe Beckham. Me me me me me, as opposed to the club.

Whatever your take on whether to keep Ole is, surely if we don't sign a first class midfielder this month (and offload Pogba, who clearly is an issue) Woodward should be the first to go.

Unread 09-01-2020, 10:33 AM
utd99

Would like to have seen what Ole was capable of had he been allowed to bin off at least most of the shitbags and replace them with players who wanted to be here, were actually capable of following instruction and had some quality tbh. But now the roundabout crew have teamed up with the abu’s, tabloids and fan blogs no doubt the hysterical screeching will become loud enough to force him out before we find out.

Shame.

Unread 09-01-2020, 10:36 AM
BarryX

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Would like to have seen what Ole was capable of had he been allowed to bin off at least most of the shitbags and replace them with players who wanted to be here, were actually capable of following instruction and had some quality tbh. But now the roundabout crew have teamed up with the abu’s, tabloids and fan blogs no doubt the hysterical screeching will become loud enough to force him out before we find out.

Shame.

Unread 09-01-2020, 10:46 AM
shenwen

Quote:
A fair and well made post. But likewise, you've got to question whether Fergie's hairdryer would have worked in this day and age, what with player (and agent) power reaching such silly heights. In 2020 nearly every premier league player is a wannabe Beckham. Me me me me me, as opposed to the club.

Whatever your take on whether to keep Ole is, surely if we don't sign a first class midfielder this month (and offload Pogba, who clearly is an issue) Woodward should be the first to go.
But it’s not going to happen. Woodward for life. That @#%&!’s. It going anywhere. He’s Teflon. Almost seven years of on pitch disaster and nothing sticks

On Fergie, I get your point but I don’t see that much difference. You think Pep or Klopp don’t tear into players? It’s more a question of respect. Player goes crying to his agent after a %@#$&!ing by pep and he’ll get told to suck it up.

Unread 09-01-2020, 10:47 AM
windy waffles

Quote:

Shame.
You are delusional.

Unread 09-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Spock

Quote:

people keep saying this as if it might acually happen (not you specifically Bazza) Woody will be there as long as the glazers are. He is the perfect yessir stooge and as the other post showed also a shareholder. Results are meaningless tbh, he nor the yanks are going anywhere at the moment

Unread 09-01-2020, 10:54 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
You are delusional.
You should be proud of yourself. Fancy teaming up with Goldbridge, that fat idiot who gets interviewed by rants, the Sun and the Mail.

#Oledeathsquad.

Unread 09-01-2020, 10:55 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
[/b]

people keep saying this as if it might acually happen (not you specifically Bazza) Woody will be there as long as the glazers are. He is the perfect yessir stooge and as the other post showed also a shareholder. Results are meaningless tbh, he nor the yanks are going anywhere at the moment
Even the Glazers must realise that results on the pitch have an impact on those off it. But I get your point

Unread 09-01-2020, 10:58 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

Shame.
I do think that if we don't get anyone in this window then that is Woodward saying to Ole that he's probably done.

The frustrating thing is that fans should be venting their spleen against Woodward. Whatever the rights and wrongs of Ole, this is our 4th manager in 5/6 years, our weakest squad in living memory brought about by a chaotic, scatter gun shambolic approach to manager and player recruitment. The reason we are such a shambles is Woodward.

He needs to hear and feel that anger each and every week.

But no, fans and simpletons on here are focussed entirely on Ole/the manager because they see Woodward as immoveable so disproportionately go after the manager.

Ole's making some poor decisions and at times looks out of his depth. He most certainly isn't without fault. But the line of attack has to be Woodward at this point. That isn't because we expect him to be removed - it's simply because he is the person most clearly at fault and that should be publicly acknowledged.

Unread 09-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Finport Red

Quote:

Shame.
That would indeed be nice but, to date, he has got rid of 8 (I think) of such players and replaced them with 2 (plus 1 with potential for the future). His attitude to this transfer window is 'we will do something if the right player becomes available, but are happy with the squad' which is the type of thing Fergie used to say when we were winning trophies nearly every year.

Let's be honest, while it would be brilliant to see Ole succeed here, his record over the last 9 months or so is abysmal and completely deserving of the sack. That he insists on persisting with Lingard despite him contributing nothing for more than a year now is worrying enough.

If there was a world class manager in there, I think we might have seen glimpses of it by now.
Closed Thread