United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Baron

Football Rio, Giggs & Scholes - 6 months left on their deals

Surely Giggs & Scholes know the jig is up - well, surely Froggles does? Doesn't he? He must... :shakehead: Keep them around in coaching capacities by all means.

Rio - 34 now, creaking & the likes of Evans, Smalling, Jones (lol) & Vidic to contend with for a place. Undoubtedly been a magnificent player, but I think he'll be allowed to run his deal down & leave.

You'd imagine all three are on circa £100k p/w - that's something like £15m in wages alone.

How much would Hummels cost ?

Unread 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon

You'd imagine all three are on circa £100k p/w - that's something like £15m in wages alone.

?
No way.....rio maybe.

Also think rio has a few seasons left and Giggs has played well recently, pay as you play deals or scholes and Giggs, rio new contract.

Unread 02-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Surely Giggs & Scholes know the jig is up - well, surely Froggles does? Doesn't he? He must... :shakehead: Keep them around in coaching capacities by all means.

Rio - 34 now, creaking & the likes of Evans, Smalling, Jones (lol) & Vidic to contend with for a place. Undoubtedly been a magnificent player, but I think he'll be allowed to run his deal down & leave.

How much would Hummels cost ?
Going rate must be around £25 million. He is perfect for us

Unread 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

Giggs was terrific over christmas

currently has 6 starts and 5 sub apps in the league for a team that has 52pts from a possible 63, has scored 54 goals and is 7pts clear...

there is life in the old dog yet...

Unread 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
No way.....rio maybe.

Also think rio has a few seasons left and Giggs has played well recently, pay as you play deals or scholes and Giggs, rio new contract.
this.

rio is far from finished.

Unread 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM
silv

deffo wouldnt get rid of Rio.

you may think hes a #@&%!/crock, but hes a proven winner and that experience in the dressing room is vital.

Unread 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Baron

I think Rio could go on for a couple of years, I'm wondering if he wants to do the bit-part though. Doesn't spout of about his deal in the papers like Lampard tbf so I guess he may. Fergie's willingness to keep experience at the club as opposed to ruthlessly chopping of yesteryear speaks volumes. I still think Smalling should get in the side & stay there if we're to see the best of him - look what's happened to Rafael since he was instilled as the first choice without being hooked left right & centre.

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Cream

Quote:
I think Rio could go on for a couple of years, I'm wondering if he wants to do the bit-part though. Doesn't spout of about his deal in the papers like Lampard tbf so I guess he may. Fergie's willingness to keep experience at the club as opposed to ruthlessly chopping of yesteryear speaks volumes. I still think Smalling should get in the side & stay there if we're to see the best of him - look what's happened to Rafael since he was instilled as the first choice without being hooked left right & centre.
Evans seems to have been given that chance.

Vidic and Rio rotating for the time being.

You get the feeling that Giggs would stay as long as we'd have him, not sure about Scholes. Be interesting to see how much pitch time he gets in the second half of the season.

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
forwardirektion

I'd let all three go, bring cole and lampard in

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
RedMenace

Rio may not be overly keen on the drop in wages that the one year contracts for older players apparently bring. He'd definitely get more cash in China or the USA if he felt like bringing his "5 #movement" to pastures new.

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:28 PM
borsuk

Thumbs up

see how they are in the summer

cotton wool and good management, still got plenty to offer on and off the pitch

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
you could look at it like that I suppose

or you could say that now that Rafael has grown up a bit he is able to hold down his place because he is good enough

Smalling isn't good enough to hold down a place in central defence imo. On the ball or with the play in front of him he's very good usually. Anything else and he's far too easily panicked. Hard to imagine this not being exposed in training by the likes of RvP and Hernandez as well, seeing as it's shown up regularly by far lesser mortals on match-days.

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

let giggs, scholes and ferdinand go and bring in a couple of chelsea veterans instead

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM
RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
you could look at it like that I suppose

or you could say that now that Rafael has grown up a bit he is able to hold down his place because he is good enough

Smalling isn't good enough to hold down a place in central defence imo. On the ball or with the play in front of him he's very good usually. Anything else and he's far too easily panicked. Hard to imagine this not being exposed in training by the likes of RvP and Hernandez as well, seeing as it's shown up regularly by far lesser mortals on match-days.
Far too fond of grabbing hold of his opponent too.

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM
forwardirektion

33 and 32 for a 38 and 39 year old. Don't want Rio to start struggling for us, go build #5 brand in the US or China

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
borsuk

Quote:
think that's a bit of a myth tbh. unless players become disruptive in some way it's far more common for fergie to show enormous loyalty imo.

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
deffo wouldnt get rid of Rio.

you may think hes a #@&%!/crock, but hes a proven winner and that experience in the dressing room is vital.
Totally agree. He's got a fairly major role for at least another year I'd say

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
think that's a bit of a myth tbh. unless players become disruptive in some way it's far more common for fergie to show enormous loyalty imo.
The arse seeing on here when Ince and Kanchelskis were binned at the same time...

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM
MJ Ramone

Rio's got another couple of seasons in him easy
give Giggsy some kind of coaching role
I think Scholesy will retire anyway.

Giggs has had a couple of good games of late but if he's still getting a shirt this time next season when he's 40 we simply aren't moving on.

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Rio's got another couple of seasons in him easy
give Giggsy some kind of coaching role
I think Scholesy will retire anyway.

Giggs has had a couple of good games of late but if he's still getting a shirt this time next season when he's 40 we simply aren't moving on.
progress and stability aren't mutually exclusive in team building

if Giggs is still getting the odd game here and there this time next season it's because he is good enough and/or because we didn't sign Ronaldo - although I'd love to see him and Ronaldo in the same side a few times before he retires
Closed Thread