United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 11-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Neo

I still think our strongest XI with everyone fit is:

Dave De Save

Rafael -- Smalling -- Vidic -- Evra

Carrick -- Cleverley

Kagawa

Nani ---- RVP ---- Rooney

Unread 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM
The Return of JC

'when everyone is fit'

Unread 11-11-2012, 03:48 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Dave De Save

Carrick -- Cleverley

Kagawa

Id start Nani too but Fergie hates him + his contract will have 18 months left on it in January. Will probably be sold..

I don't see that much quality wing players out there anymore, might be time to join the 'fake winger' bandwagon and grab ourselves an Isco.

Unread 11-11-2012, 03:50 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Dave De Save

Carrick -- Cleverley

Kagawa

That's it for me as well but I might have different centre backs

Unread 11-11-2012, 03:52 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Btw, Dunk. Has your overall opinion of Hernandez changed in recent weeks?

(that's not meant in an arse-holey way. Genuine question)
His form, confidence and the way he's putting himself about make him twice the player he was last season, I've said it a few times tbh, I still wouldn't be inclined to pick him in our strongest XI, or even from the start too often tbh. Yesterday was the perfect situation for him, a tired Villa with something to protect and United pushing hard. His impressive stints/impacts have all come as a sub so far this season, the two games against Braga he started he was on the periphery throughout, I know he scored, but he puts pressure on the rest of the team as he offers little outside the 18 yard box. I'm biased though, I don't like poachers, never have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Who should be starting, that isn't in that team?
Not Welbeck on current form, but not Anderson under any circumstances. Your hate for Cleverley is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Dave De Save

Carrick -- Cleverley

Kagawa

Much more like it.

Unread 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
That's it for me as well but I might have different centre backs
Yeah, Evans probably deserves to be in there, tbf.

Will be interesting to see how Jones is used when he's back. I still think he's going to be absolutely class.

Unread 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Not Welbeck on current form, but not Anderson under any circumstances. Your hate for Cleverley is laughable.
I have no hate for Cleverley, i've just been more unconvinced than convinced about him. He doesn't have the steel and guts Ando provides when he's on.

I just want us to give Anderson that 5 or 6 games in a row run he has not had at United since 07/08. One thing nobody can deny is we look miles better with an on song Anderson in the team than without.

No welbeck on current form but no Anderson under any circumstances...thats the only laughable thing here. That and your anti Hernandez agenda.

How does 7 goals in 5 games smell. Smells like battered pumpkin.

Unread 11-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Neo

Quote:
I have no hate for Cleverley, i've just been more unconvinced than convinced about him. He doesn't have the steel and guts Ando provides when he's on.

I just want us to give Anderson that 5 or 6 games in a row run he has not had at United since 07/08. One thing nobody can deny is we look miles better with an on song Anderson in the team than without.

No welbeck on current form but no Anderson under any circumstances...thats the only laughable thing here. That and your anti Hernandez agenda.

Ffs.

Unread 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM
dunk

Quote:

Pretty pathetic that saffers tbh.

7 goals in 5 games implies he's found a bit of form, chances are dropping to him and things are going his way, good luck to him. Still wouldn't be in United's best XI, deserves a few starts based on form though.

Agree on the consecutive games for Anderson, I just don't think he's done enough to suggest he'd make our strongest XI. Cleverley still has some improving to do, but he must be 100 games behind Anderson, the more he plays the better he'll get, and he's already proven how much he improves us just with his energy and what he does to the tempo we play at.

Unread 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

Unread 11-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Tiberian

Actually think that Fergie is handling the Cleverley/Anderson situation very well. Both players have histories of injury and long spells out. Anderson has had 3/4 major(6 months+ out) injuries already in his career and Cleverley missed the majority of last season.

With the Olympics Cleverley played a lot of games earlier in the season, has been getting less time recently. Anderson has been gradually eased into the season, hopefully they are doing a lot of core fitness work, strengthening his hamstrings etc.

Ultimately I would like Carrick with the pair of them.

Unread 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i think evra's been good this season
A big improvement recently, nqat. Not before time, mind

Unread 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Actually think that Fergie is handling the Cleverley/Anderson situation very well. Both players have histories of injury and long spells out. Anderson has had 3/4 major(6 months+ out) injuries already in his career and Cleverley missed the majority of last season.

With the Olympics Cleverley played a lot of games earlier in the season, has been getting less time recently. Anderson has been gradually eased into the season, hopefully they are doing a lot of core fitness work, strengthening his hamstrings etc.

Ultimately I would like Carrick with the pair of them.
What would you do with Kagawa, Tibs?

Unread 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
What would you do with Kagawa, Tibs?
Alternating with one of Anderson and Cleverley. Still very early in his Utd time but he has struggled a little with the physical nature of the PL.

If Utd stick with a 4-4-2 then he is going to have have to play as one of the forwards.

Unread 11-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Alternating with one of Anderson and Cleverley. Still very early in his Utd time but he has struggled a little with the physical nature of the PL.

If Utd stick with a 4-4-2 then he is going to have have to play as one of the forwards.
Not necessarily though - Fergie isn't shy about using a narrow side in midfield, especially on the left. Cleverley, Kagawa, Young, Rooney and even Welbeck cou;d give him a combination on that side...

Unread 11-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Not necessarily though - Fergie isn't shy about using a narrow side in midfield, especially on the left. Cleverley, Kagawa, Young, Rooney and even Welbeck cou;d give him a combination on that side...
Seems a waste though in Kagawa's case, tracking up and down the wing with full backs. He will have to find a way to be effective defensively but it would make it an odd signing.

It was one of the reasons why I did not expect the Van Persie signing to happen, if it came off then it was bound to mean a partnership with Rooney, but Kagawa in a central role was how most of us expected him to be used and automatically it would be less likely if Fergie wanted to keep the wide threat.

Unread 11-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Seems a waste though in Kagawa's case, tracking up and down the wing with full backs. He will have to find a way to be effective defensively but it would make it an odd signing.

It was one of the reasons why I did not expect the Van Persie signing to happen, if it came off then it was bound to mean a partnership with Rooney, but Kagawa in a central role was how most of us expected him to be used and automatically it would be less likely if Fergie wanted to keep the wide threat.
I think we can safely say it was an odd signing

I think it was inspired by the failing attempt to use Rooney as a 10

Problem is that Van Persie is the main man in the attack now, Rooney has done well enough in a more withdrawn role but we have more natural midfielders certainly, United can't function properly without genuine width in their game, and the spare player is almost always in the back line...

If Ferguson is prepared to make a 3 by breaking the backline ratrher than using a forward dropping in then Rooney and Kagawa can operate as the link to the last 3rd but other than that I can't see how they can be in the same side without one of them being shoe-horned in...

Doesn't matter for now anyway with Kagawa injured and Hernandez challenging Rooney's starting position for the next game

Unread 11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
be quite happy to see rvp, hernandez, rooney and valencia all start

rvp - pea
rooney
cleverley - carrick - valencia
back four
ddg
a lopsided diamond, ooh baby :mmmonkey:

Unread 11-11-2012, 07:10 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
:mmmonkey:

Unread 11-11-2012, 08:56 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Think Rooney's injury has come at a good time for Ferguson tbh, cus it'll save him having to actually make the decision to drop him for Norwich. Then Galatasaray away is a rest day and he can bring him back for QPR at home if needs be
rooney should not and will not be dropped. he played well in a number of positions against villa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Why would he drop him?
His form has been very good up until yesterday. One bad game means you get dropped??

Rooney had a poor game, but the service from our midfield - both centrally & out wide was appalling.
can't believe even you're sucking up their bad game crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Havent read any of the thread, but I imagine I'm not the first to suggest that, after the Spurs defeat, we should never start Carrick and Scholes in a two again. Yesterday was just more evidence of this. They both sit deep, both default to the flanks, Carrick just defers to Scholes and we get marched through by any team who is prepared to press us. It was all so predictable and it takes the gloss of an outstanding comeback because we never should be in that kind of situation against a spirited (but shite!) villa.
fergie must be the only person in the world who would pick scholes and carrick and that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Dave De Save

Carrick -- Cleverley

Kagawa

cleverley and kagawa can't be in the same team.

de gea

rafael - smalling - vidic - evra

carrick - anderson

valencia - cleverley - rooney

van persie

could play nani instead of valencia quite happily (and would probably have to against a really good team and take the risk) or rio. bench of pea. padded out with welbeck, kagawa, scholes.