United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-02-2023, 12:15 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Has there ever been less fanfare for a British record signing

Can’t get over that fee for a midfielder who doesn’t real score or create that much
£#%&! knows what Dortmund will now want for Bellingham in the summer
The market in this country has reached ludicrous proportions. There has to be a tipping point because the other leagues around europe are operating on a completely different level to England. The levels of money being spent here are just insane, it surely can't go on like this.

Average players being bandied about for 40-50 million and the top ones go for near on 100 mill. It's just absolute insanity at this stage.

Unread 01-02-2023, 12:40 AM
GBMUFC2020

I think teams like Bouremouth and Brighton have got the right idea. look deep, buy cheap, sell for mega bucks.

Unread 01-02-2023, 02:38 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMUFC2020
I think teams like Bouremouth and Brighton have got the right idea. look deep, buy cheap, sell for mega bucks.
For sure, but it's much easier to do that when there's no pressure to do well.

Unread 01-02-2023, 07:35 AM
puressence

Southampton as well bought some good players for not alot like sparky says the pressure isn't as intense as long as fans accept that way forward , think the 12 million on malacia was an absolute steal , thi ng is Erik given time can develop players but they don't get time by the masses , what chelsea have done is £#%&!ing mental . they must have a 30 plus squad of first team players when all fit which at some point you'd imagine will happen , i bet you potter isn't overly happy . They will be off loading to £#%&! in the summer .

What's also mad is if argentina hadn't won the world cup maybe gone out round of 16 or qtrs this wouldn't have happened

Unread 01-02-2023, 08:54 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The market in this country has reached ludicrous proportions. There has to be a tipping point because the other leagues around europe are operating on a completely different level to England. The levels of money being spent here are just insane, it surely can't go on like this.

Average players being bandied about for 40-50 million and the top ones go for near on 100 mill. It's just absolute insanity at this stage.
In Chelsea’s case, it’s little more than dick-swinging. There’s no way they’ve identified those players this month and pulled out all the stops to get them. Potter isn’t knocking the door down to hand them that list. It’s just a scattergun approach. They’ve just signed a £100m midfielder and I’ve no confidence he’ll improve them or that he’s part of some bigger plan.

It’s a crazy approach and it probably won’t even work.

Unread 01-02-2023, 09:15 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
In Chelsea’s case, it’s little more than dick-swinging. There’s no way they’ve identified those players this month and pulled out all the stops to get them. Potter isn’t knocking the door down to hand them that list. It’s just a scattergun approach. They’ve just signed a £100m midfielder and I’ve no confidence he’ll improve them or that he’s part of some bigger plan.

All seems disconcertingly familiar.

Unread 01-02-2023, 09:33 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

Decent player with potential but how many times have we had a hit or miss when players come to the premier league.

We alone have probably had 5 successful transfers post fergie . Personally I think he has lots of potential but not what Chelsea need. Kante will be back from injury.

I just hope these 8 year deals bite them back on the arse and players refuse to leave when they inevitably get a new manager who wants 4/5 new players

Unread 01-02-2023, 10:47 AM
redhegemony

And not all the new signings can be added to the CL squad...

Unread 01-02-2023, 11:01 AM
Ethers

5 successful signings post Ferguson is a bit over the top ffs

Unread 01-02-2023, 11:11 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethers
5 successful signings post ferguson is a bit over the top ffs
4 have been last summer

Unread 01-02-2023, 11:11 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Was thinking this

Ibrahimovic, while old as £#%&!, was still great for us in his first season
Matic wasn’t bad - just didn’t have the legs to carry the entire midfield
Blind was very good
Mata was top at first, was brilliant under LVG iirc, do find it weird how he was so under used from Mourinho onwards
Luke Shaw has grown into the role and is now one of our best players
Varane is magnificent
Dalot turning out very good
Martinez is a king
Eriksen has been a top signing
Casemiro - do I even need to say anything?
Fernandes is great

I’ve probably missed a few.

It’s the midfield neglect that has killed us, along with Mourinho and the PE teacher. And Harry Maguire. And Woodward splurging on gash like Lukaku and Pogba.

Unread 01-02-2023, 11:41 AM
Marvel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins

I just hope these 8 year deals bite them back on the arse and players refuse to leave
I do wonder if they are using the NFL cash over cap system?

NFL teams use this to manipulate the salary cap. Basically they pay a player a huge signing bonus that then gets spread out over the term of the players contract, so the teams give players supposed 5/6/7 year contracts but the last year/years can be voided by the team. Chelsea could be doing something similar with transfer fees to manipulate FFP.

Unread 01-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Minus the current year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Was thinking this

Ibrahimovic, while old as £#%&!, was still great for us in his first season
Matic wasn’t bad - just didn’t have the legs to carry the entire midfield
Blind was very good
Mata was top at first, was brilliant under LVG iirc, do find it weird how he was so under used from Mourinho onwards
Luke Shaw has grown into the role and is now one of our best players
Varane is magnificent
Dalot turning out very good
Martinez is a king
Eriksen has been a top signing
Casemiro - do I even need to say anything?
Fernandes is great

I’ve probably missed a few.

It’s the midfield neglect that has killed us, along with Mourinho and the PE teacher. And Harry Maguire. And Woodward splurging on gash like Lukaku and Pogba.
Shaw
Fernandes
Mata (maybe he never nailed down a position)
Ibrahimovic

Dalot has has about 10 good games. He needs to do it over seasons to prove successful. Even shaw has had one good season with ole and another with ETH. He’s been great this season . But across his contract he’s had more worse seasons than good. I hope he continues how he has been playing and of course he will turn into a good signing .

But even if I give you shaw, minus the current year il give you 4 good signings. Tbh I’m being harsh, even if I give bigger scope and say we have had 7 good signings.

My point was, there’s a strong chance atleast some of the Chelsea signings will fail with their approach

If you have all of our post fergie signings (minus this year ) I’m sure we have more poor signings than good.

Unread 01-02-2023, 01:37 PM
Hank Scorpio

Would have been a great signing for us in the summer.

Could just as easily flounder at Chelsea with all the chaos there. Very good player though and could be great but he should probably have waited a few more months at Benfica. May not even be playing in champions league next year.

Unread 01-02-2023, 02:56 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMUFC2020
it's a great business model.

it's a bit shit if you want to win trophies like a big club.

Unread 01-02-2023, 02:59 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it's a great business model.

it's a bit shit if you want to win trophies like a big club.
Bournemouth ffs
Closed Thread