United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Smalling is more than a decent defender. He’s up there with any central defender in the tier below world class. His main issue is his passing, which is a liability and a weakness which hampers us in numerous ways.

He isn’t good enough to be first choice for Manchester United if we want to be a top team again. He never has been. He’s a clear step down from Rio and vidic. Third or fourth choice is his level at united. Maguire may also not be at the rio level, but he has qualities the team needs that smalling doesn’t provide.

Lindelof, Maguire, smalling and axel would be a decent set of central defenders. But would smalling want to be backup at his age?
Are you kidding?

To this day he drives into Carrington, finds a quiet corner, and him and Phil pinch each other.

Giggling like schoolboys they are.

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:39 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Are you kidding?

To this day he drives into Carrington, finds a quiet corner, and him and Phil pinch each other.

Giggling like schoolboys they are.

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Smalling was brilliant when we won in Paris. It got lost in the buzz of the winning penalty.

He was good because we were defending a lot and he's good at the basics. He's good in the air, good tackler, hard to beat in 1v1.

As good as Maguire as any of that.

His flaws are exposed more in other aspects. He's prone to lapses in concentration, poor decision making. Basically, he's a bit thick.

Maguire strikes me as similar. Makes a lot of errors and you see these things more at England level where they're largely on the front foot.

We don't see it as much because most games for Leicester are 'PSG Away' type games.

It's completely different here. It changes players. Makes them look worse. Makes them look different.

Look how many start well, like the players we signed, then fall to bits. Even class ones like Veron and Di Maria. Some start a wreck and grow in to it (Vidic, Evra... Lindelof ), but we all know United is a different animal.

To use Evans again: He came into the side as calm player, good on the ball. We liked him. He left a wreck. Hated.

Goes to West Brom and reverts to the former.

Jones was similar at Blackburn (Jones looked like he had more potential at Blackburn than Maguire has ever had IMO), now he's a joke.

Stick him or Smalling back to that level and I guarantee they'd look ten times the player. No pressure. No serious scrutiny.

That's the level we are judging Maguire from and what we no longer judge Smalling from.

And seeing as we are, we need to see some serious potential to grow. I just dont see that in Maguire. I don't see him being anything more than what we see already.

Smalling has spent 8 years at United under the most intense spotlight. He's had good moment, bad ones and horrific ones. He's played in title winning sides and some of the worst in recent.

He's been through it and has the scars.

Nobody thinks he's great, but I think these guys deserve a little more recognition sometimes.

When Magure has done a little more than looking pretty good for Hull and Leicester, maybe then I'll be a little more open to find the prospect of him not being that much better than Smalling completely laughable.

£#%&! me they've broken him.

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:41 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
Just imagine how much world football could learn from visiting this site

Pep and Klopp could learn a bit from logging on here and listening to the musings of a chartered account on his dinner hour
In fairness I think Utd would have done a better job in the transfer market if they had

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Just imagine how much world football could learn from visiting this site

Pep and Klopp could learn a bit from logging on here and listening to the musings of a chartered account on his dinner hour
This is such a weird stance to take.

Do you have any reactions to any signings or anything to do with club, or do you just blindingly trust every move?

I don't see how klopp or pep have anything to do with this because they've been largely been successful.

We, however, have made error after error and about 90% of all our signings in the last five years have failed.

So forgive me if I'm a little sceptical on trusting the club's intentions or judgements on anything.

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:43 PM
elhombre

Quote:
This is such a weird stance to take.

Do you have any reactions to any signings or anything to do with club, or do you just blindingly trust every move?

I don't see how klopp or pep have anything to do with this because they've been largely been successful.

We, however, have made error after error and about 90% of all our signings in the last five years have failed.

So forgive me if I'm a little sceptical on trusting the club's intentions or judgements on anything.

I am off my face in a bar in Thailand - i wish I was sober enough to read that post with both of eyes open

I’m not - so I won’t

I hope it’s not offensive

god bless, mate x

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
I am off my face in a bar in Thailand - i wish I was sober enough to read that post with both of eyes open

I’m not - so I won’t

god bless, mate x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
£#%&! me they've broken him.

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:47 PM
Whip Hubley

Exclamation

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

I’m not - so I won’t

god bless, mate x
Maybe log off a boring Harry Maguire chat and enjoy your holidays then you annoying little borrower @#%&!.

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:49 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Maybe log off a boring Harry Maguire chat and enjoy your holidays then you annoying little borrower @#%&!.
I think I will do

Have fun - all the best 👍

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
I think I will do

Have fun - all the best 👍

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

Unread 02-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

Yeah!

Wait a minute....

Unread 02-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Dont disagree with any of that apart from the last bit. He has passing. That's not enough for £90m. We could have just kept Daley Blind.
Clearly he has the qualities Ole has identified as being lacking, whatever they may be.

Having 2 central defenders playing week in week out is important. Something we haven’t had for almost a decade, and the cornerstone of any top team. In addition, one significant weakness we have is how we panic and crumble as a team when put under pressure. Maybe he’s wanted to address those issues, as well as whatever else.

Mourinho also identified central defence as something that hampered our attacking play. Moaned about defenders not being decisive enough. Ole seems to have come to the same conclusion on the main weakness within the team, and sees Maguire as the right fit to address it. Maybe his character and mentality mark him out, because smalling certainly doesn’t have it.

Unread 02-08-2019, 03:16 PM
Vedder

Unread 02-08-2019, 03:17 PM
naes_sean

scenes

Unread 02-08-2019, 03:17 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Sam "take me seriously" Wallace?

£#%&! off

Unread 02-08-2019, 03:18 PM