United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-04-2013, 02:05 PM
taff

Default Nemanja Matic (Benfica)

united in for him according to this completely unspeculative article.

http://gu.com/p/3f5f2

a quality, quality player that i for one know £#%&!-all about.

Unread 14-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Mr Castro

Was at Chelsea very briefly. I don't know much about him.

Unread 14-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Cream

thought vidic was bringing out a washing machine.

marginally less exciting news.

Unread 14-04-2013, 02:12 PM
The Mull

There's only 2 Nemanja's

Unread 14-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
united in for him according to this completely unspeculative article.

http://gu.com/p/3f5f2

a quality, quality player that i for one know £#%&!-all about.
Quote:
Apart from the teenager Nick Powell, and not including Scholes coming out of retirement, Ferguson has not signed a central midfielder since Owen Hargreaves in 2007.
:stairsetc...:

Unread 14-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Part 36 Offer

Was a centre half at Chelsea

Unread 14-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Was a centre half at Chelsea
Ah, that's because Chelsea didn't know where to play him whereas our management will know exactly what to do with him

Unread 14-04-2013, 02:56 PM
rebelcountyred

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
Ah, that's because Chelsea didn't know where to play him whereas our management will know exactly what to do with him
yep, on the wing

Unread 14-04-2013, 03:02 PM
VodkaAndCoke

From that link.

"United's manager increasingly believes a team's ability to control midfield is key in Europe and Matic ticks the boxes because of his refinement on the ball"

Unread 14-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Liu Jian

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/t...cording-to-por

Quote:
Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias (see left) carried a big story on Saturday claiming that Nemanja Matic had given a 'yes' to Manchester United after agreeing to join them in principle. They say that contacts were first made in February and that Matic has given the Manchester club the go-ahead to sign him.

However, there is no agreement with Benfica and the newspaper says that Manchester United haven't even contacted the Portuguese club, let alone made a bid for the player. He has a buy-out clause of around €45m but it's stated that Manchester United would rather pay closer to €25m.

If it hadn't been for the comical nature of the Matic to Manchester United reports a couple of weeks ago then this would sound quite believable and therefore exciting. The Portuguese press picked up a Bleacher Report blog which said United should look at Matic instead of Strootman and misunderstood it, with A Bola running the following at the time:

'According to the news website bleacherreport.com, the Benfica midfielder will be an option if Alex Ferguson decides to strengthen the squad's midfield sector with a view to next season. Listed previously with the English club is also Dutchman Kevin Strootman, PSV, but Matic allegedly appears in the first position.'

That led to numerous reports in England, citing A Bola as the source and conveniently ignoring the obvious misunderstanding and that it had originated from a Bleacher Report blog. Just because those reports were a fine example of transfer rumour nonsense, it doesn't make interest impossible and Manchester United have been attending many Benfica games this season to scout one or more players.

There's three possibilities on this one. Firstly, Diario de Noticias have made the whole thing up on the back of the reports earlier this month. Secondly, Manchester United have made a move and got an agreement to sign him. Thirdly, and perhaps most likely, the rumours earlier this month have got to the player and/or his representatives and they'd like to see if there's any chance of it becoming a reality.

Diario de Noticias do say in the article that their source also told them that Matic is satisfied at Benfica and could stay, and that the club want him for another season, meaning that whatever happens the newspaper have covered their backsides. He's got a contract until the summer of 2018 so there's no pressure for an early sale and therefore his continuation at Benfica for another season is what looks the most credible outcome at this stage.

Unread 02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Having a cracking game for Benfica tonight.

Worth watching, brilliant game so far.

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Pop

£#%&! him, whoever he is.

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
thought vidic was bringing out a washing machine.

marginally less exciting news.

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
£#%&! him, whoever he is.
This. Pissing me off already and he'll never live up to Vidic. Kill him.

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

He can tackle, he's aggressive & can pick a pass.

Erm....

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
He can tackle, he's aggressive & can pick a pass.

Erm....
So you watch him him play once on TV, in the Europa Cup, or whatever the £#%&! it's called these days, and you're slobbering all over his balls like some wannabe super scout? Let's be honest here, if he was a pallid looking but enthusiastic lad from Barnsley named Sam you wouldn't be reacting like this, would you? You make me sick.

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
So you watch him him play once on TV, in the Europa Cup, or whatever the £#%&! it's called these days, and you're slobbering all over his balls like some wannabe super scout? Let's be honest here, if he was a pallid looking but enthusiastic lad from Barnsley named Sam you wouldn't be reacting like this, would you? You make me sick.
I'm confused why we're linked with him.

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
I know, he's a midfielder.

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Got all the excuses ready, don't you, pal? I'm on to you.

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:06 PM
saffers

The usually reliable Superliga snouts love him.

A real hassle to buy from Benfica(and Porto) though.

Give this one a 30% chance of happening.
Closed Thread