United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-04-2011, 11:06 AM
borsuk

Default Re: How shite did you feel yesterday

the champions league is a pile of shite. individual games, fine, i can enjoy them and look forward to them etc. and there's no disguising the fact than any pot that lifts us up is great, especially one that makes every other £#%&!er jealous. but the competition? plastic crap which long ago stopped being a football tournament which was on tv and became a tv show which happens on a football field. and it's really £#%&!ed up umpteen leagues around europe and countless great traditions.

Unread 18-04-2011, 11:14 AM
dunk

Thumbs up Re: How shite did you feel yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the champions league is a pile of shite. individual games, fine, i can enjoy them and look forward to them etc. and there's no disguising the fact than any pot that lifts us up is great, especially one that makes every other £#%&!er jealous. but the competition? plastic crap which long ago stopped being a football tournament which was on tv and became a tv show which happens on a football field. and it's really £#%&!ed up umpteen leagues around europe and countless great traditions.
Including the marginalising of the FA Cup

Unread 18-04-2011, 11:17 AM
elephantstone

im still going through a state of depression.

Unread 18-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
without the league format at the start, which is boring for fans of United or other teams that always qualify out of them, it would throw up too many jammy cup runs. If that's your cup of tea fair enough but it weeds out the shite in some people's opinion.
Don't necessarily know what you mean by ruining great traditions across europe? money has done that but the european cup?

Unread 18-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
im still going through a state of depression.
likewise

drunk far too much since sat pm, managed at least one argument with each of my family members and can't get the images of those inbreds £#%&!ers squealing away at the end out of my head

Unread 18-04-2011, 11:30 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
without the league format at the start, which is boring for fans of United or other teams that always qualify out of them, it would throw up too many jammy cup runs. If that's your cup of tea fair enough but it weeds out the shite in some people's opinion.
Don't necessarily know what you mean by ruining great traditions across europe? money has done that but the european cup?
the champions league channels money to the top clubs in the biggest leagues every year. the likes of united, real, barca etc are guaranteed to be in it and the effect is to put an ever-increasing distance between the haves and have nots, including once-great sides like ajax which are steadily slipping further and further behind. it's a competition which entrenches the top clubs and makes it harder for smaller clubs to challenge them. and the league format is shite in sporting terms. no tension and upsets are meaningless as the top clubs invariably amass enough points to get out of the groups.

Unread 18-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Bunker Buster

Still feel like shit now.

Tried to self medicate the pain away.

It wont go.

Unread 18-04-2011, 11:39 AM
carlosartorial

I agree the CL format is a pile of shit but all that goes out of the window once the KO stages kick in.

Unread 18-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Maybe the problem with the champions league is that it attracts wealthy investors who have the means to turn the rest of europe into selling clubs. Regulation/wage caps or Platini's plan might help that.

When was the european cup at it's best is another question?
e 60s when it was basically Madrid, Inter, Milan(s) and United, the 70s when it was share between Munich and Ajax for 6 years or after that when english teams won it six years in a row?

Unread 18-04-2011, 11:52 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I agree the CL format is a pile of shit but all that goes out of the window once the KO stages kick in.
Three words....

Away. Goal. Rule.

Unread 18-04-2011, 04:20 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
agreed...although i think we would have won it a LOT more if it was the old European Cup format...we'd be lookiing at 19 plus 7 at least
Closed Thread