United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-04-2011, 01:05 AM
oohahhpaulmcgrath

Default Re: Players who never reached their full potential while playing for United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Mark Bosnich for me. Was a very good keeper prior to going back United. Don't recall much outrage at him being brought in after schmeichel left.

Then his career completely nosedived. Complete waster who could have done far more if he wasn't a mental midget.
i wasn't happy when we signed the fat ,balding, ill looking @#%&!

Unread 15-04-2011, 01:07 AM
dunk

Default Re: Players who never reached their full potential while playing for United

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohahhpaulmcgrath
i wasn't happy when we signed the fat ,balding, ill looking @#%&!
Me neither. Never liked him. File with Shay Given.

Unread 15-04-2011, 01:08 AM
jem

bosnich won us a world club thing (just don't mention shearer).

you don't have to play as long as giggs to reach your potential.

speaking of which, imagine if giggs had played his whole career without having to worry about his hamstrings.

Unread 15-04-2011, 01:18 AM
beansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Sad to think though if you read his auto biog, there seems to have been nothing that could have helped him. Big Ron took the piss, black and irish, a walking target.
Talk about the short straw.

Unread 15-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Rhodzy

Rossi still pissed about that.

Unread 15-04-2011, 06:15 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmufc
A few for starters

Lee Sharpe
Nicky Butt
John Oshea
Phil Neville
Dwight Yorke
Japp stam

Gerry Daly
Brian Kidd
Gordon Strachan
Brian Greenhoff

Jesper Olsen
Norman Whiteside
Paul Mcgrath
plenty of those reached their potential in terms of ability, just didn't prolong it. more a question of longevity/dedication than not reaching their potential.

big norm is the one. could have been one of the greatest of all time, that lad.

Unread 15-04-2011, 06:31 AM
elephantstone

Russell Beardsmore

Unread 15-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmufc
A few for starters

Nicky Butt
Phil Neville
Dwight Yorke
Japp stam
couldnt agree less.

Unread 15-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Tim Howard. He's proven that he's a quality goalkeeper at Everton, but never really looked confident enough at United.

The thought of his flapping attempt to stop that last-minute free-kick against Mourinho's Porto at Old Trafford still hurts.
Evern the way that draw worked out for Porto, I still dont give a £#%&! about that game on the grand scale of things, Bayern last season was far worse for me.

That Utd team wouldnt have done it imo. Did you see us away to Porto? Dismal and were lucky not to come away 3 or 4-1.

Djemba Djemba was marking Deco in the 2nd leg ffs

Unread 15-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Fountz

Spoiler:
click to showhide
click to showhide

Unread 15-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Zorg

I think it is fair to mention McGrath. When United were winning titles he was coming 2nd with Villa. That's not fulfilling your potential imo - he was far too good for them.

Unread 15-04-2011, 08:00 AM
gbmufc

Quote:
Originally Posted by moransbleedinghead
are you smoking something? McGrath is one of the best central defenders that has ever played for United, his reading of the game was incredible, forget the drink demons and the way his time at United finished, and remember the fantastic performances he put in for us.
No not smoking anything, I said whilst playing for United.

Yeah he was great for us but he still had plenty left for Villa and argueably became a better allround player with them.

Kidd still had plenty to offer after he left us as did Strachan Some of the others lost there way for other reasons like Sharpy, again probably as good as Giggs on his day, Whiteside Ian Storey Moore and Hargreaves (good calls) through Injury. Oshea Anderson Butt Neville didnt or havent matured in to the players they looked capable of being.

Scott McGarvy

Unread 15-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Sgt Howie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
bosnich won us a world club thing (just don't mention shearer).
A meaningless friendly in Japan to raise cash.

Sorry, but the World Club Championship is about as prestigeous as the charity shield.
If we won the Champions League ten times in a row, I'd be quite happy to lose the World Club Championship on every occassion

Unread 15-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Stickman

Keith Gillespie couldve been a player imo. Seemed to go down hill rapidly agter his first season at Newcastle too.

Unread 15-04-2011, 09:42 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Howie
A meaningless friendly in Japan to raise cash.

Sorry, but the World Club Championship is about as prestigeous as the charity shield.
If we won the Champions League ten times in a row, I'd be quite happy to lose the World Club Championship on every occassion
as would we all. it doesn't change the fact that his performance won it. maybe he shouldn't have taken it seriously, eh?

Unread 15-04-2011, 09:57 AM
dunk

Jesper Blomqvist

Unread 15-04-2011, 10:14 AM
believe

Jon Obi Mikel
Adam Llajic

Unread 15-04-2011, 10:15 AM
beansy

xoran tosic

Unread 15-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansy
xoran tosic

Unread 15-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Dr Gonzo

John Curtis

( Highly regarded at one point ..never the same player after Overmars ran him ragged at OT 1997/98 season )

From a similar vintage : Ben Thornley

( Terry Cooke )
Closed Thread