United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Sparky***

Default Re: United vs Chelsea - FA Youth Cup

If paul pogba doesn't make a regular in our first team i'll eat my £#%&!ing trousers.

Unread 10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Cream

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FAComp...-report-100411

Chelsea take a narrow advantage to Old Trafford in ten days' time, after a nail-biting Semi-Final first leg clash with Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on Sunday afternoon.

Dermot Drummy’s team, aiming to successfully defend their title as FA Youth Cup holders, were always ahead in this tie but a strong second half performance from United almost saw them heading back north for the second leg on level terms.

On a baking hot afternoon at Stamford Bridge, it had looked as though it was going to be Chelsea’s day when they took a two goal lead in the first half thanks to a brace from England U17 defender Nathaniel Chalobah.

But in the end, they were thankful to hold onto their lead as they came under increasing pressure in the second half from a physically stronger United outfit who will be perhaps a shade disappointed not to have levelled things up.

The first half belonged to Chelsea though and they almost edged ahead after just three minutes when Milan Lalkovic got on the end of Bobby Devyne’s cross from the right to head goalwards from close range, but United ‘keeper Sam Johnstone showed great reactions to push the ball wide.

Johnstone’s opposite number Jamal Blackman more than matched that save soon after, when Jesse Lingard’s speculative shot from 20 yards forced the big Chelsea ‘keeper into a full-stretch save.

Chelsea had another opportunity in the 16th minute, when Aziz Deen Conteh raced down the left and played an inviting centre across the area. Johnstone didn’t get hold of it and when the ball fell loose to Lalkovic, the Slovakian striker couldn’t quite re-position himself to turn the ball home from a tight angle.

The hosts had always looked the more expansive of the teams in the first half though and it was no real surprise when they took the lead in the 30th minute. A corner from Blues captain Josh McEachran on the left wasn’t claimed by Johnstone and when he dropped the ball in the six-yard box, Chalobah was there to scramble home from close range.

Ten minutes later Chalobah was on the spot again, as he rose highest in the area to loop a header over Johnstone and into the top corner from George Saville’s flag-kick to put Chelsea in firm control at the break.

United re-emerged for the second-half with the words of manager Paul McGuinness no doubt still ringing in their ears and Gyliano Van Velzen forced Blackman into a fine save less than two minutes after the re-start when his stinging left-footer from 25 yards looked to be heading for the top corner. That was a sign of things to come.

A driving run forward from Ryan Tunnicliffe then set up a shooting chance for Paul Pogba, but he dwelled too long and was crowded out. Moments later, Will Keane skilfully twisted in the area to set-up Pogba on the edge of the box, but Chalobah made a finely timed block tackle.

Pogba then forced Blackman into another good save with a thumping shot from 25 yards, with the Chelsea ‘keeper tipping the ball over at the expense of a corner. From that corner, Larnell Cole played the ball into the area and when Sean McGinty beat Blackman to flick on, Lingard was well placed to control and smash home at the far post to give United a lifeline.

United continued to press, but they were caught out with just under 20 minutes to play when Deen Conteh over-lapped to break down the left. His low cross was perfectly placed to the far post where Devyne had the simple task of tucking past Johnstone from close range to restore their two goal advantage.

They didn’t hold it for long though, as United hit straight back when Lingard crossed from the right for Pogba to direct a header past Blackman and bring his side back into it and grasp the momentum back.

Another attack saw Cole showcase his skills before picking out Lingard on the edge of the area. He lined up a shot and it looked to have Blackman beaten but flew just wide of the post.

United continued to press, but Chelsea held on and will now head north for the second leg on 20 April to decide who takes on Sheffield United in The Final.

Chelsea: 1 Jamal Blackman, 2 Todd Kane, 3 Tomas Kalas, 4 Nathaniel Chalobah, 5 Aziz Deen-Conteh, 6 George Saville, 7 Bobby Devyne (14 Ben Sampayo, 84), 8 Rohan Ince (12 Archange Nkumu, 63), 9 Milan Lalkovic, 10 Josh McEachran (c), 11 Adam Nditi (15 Lewis Baker, 71).

Substitutes not used: 13 Matthew Tomlinson, 16 Alex Davey.

Goals: Nathaniel Chalobah 30, 40. Bobby Devyne 72,

Manchester United: 1 Sam Johnstone, 2 Michael Keane, 3 Sean McGinty, 4 Tom Thorpe (c), 5 Michele Fornasier, 6 Ryan Tunnicliffe, 7 Larnell Cole, 8 Paul Pogba, 9 Will Keane (Mats Daehli, 89) 10 Jesse Lingard (14 Tom Lawrence, 84), 11 Gyliano Van Velzen.

Substitutes not used: 12 Charni Ekangamene, 13 Joe Coll, 16 Jack Rudge.

Goals: Jesse Lingard 56, Paul Pogba 77

Referee: G Ward.

Assistant referees: A Laver & T Robinson.

Fourth Official: M Thompson

Attendance: 5518

Unread 10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Coracao

Shouldnt have lost that really.

Unread 10-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Time For Heroes

Just got back, thought the lads played really well 2nd half. Gave the Chewsea rent boys loads of stick too.

BTW Poggers is a beast, huge when you see him up close, as Sparkles says, if he don't make then I don't know what the world's coming to.

Unread 10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
red in cumbria

Sheffield United in the final, isn't it?? So whoever gets though here has to be clear favourites

Unread 10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
andyroo

Still, a 1-0 at Alty (or do they play it at OT) would take us through wouldn't it?

If anyone wants to see the goals they're on the link reem posted.

Unread 10-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Rhodzy

Pogbas skill before Lingards goal.

Unread 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo

Still, a 1-0 at Alty (or do they play it at OT) would take us through wouldn't it?

If anyone wants to see the goals they're on the link reem posted.
its OT on 20th april

can you pay on the gate ?

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Nice one

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
neworder

£#%&! me, what was the attendance? sounded rocking!

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder
only 5 and a half thou

Unread 10-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Time For Heroes

We probably had a few hundred there, well it sounded like a thousand but Poggers did that dragback thing even better in the 1st half and took out two men.

Unread 10-04-2011, 09:43 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
If paul pogba doesn't make a regular in our first team i'll eat my £#%&!ing trousers.

Really excited about the lad (in a normal, non-gay way). He's fantastic.

Unread 10-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder
I went to this as well, was rocking all the way through. Impressed by Larnell Cole, played centre-mid, composure on the ball and a lot of skill, seems to have a good football brain as well. One to watch.

http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-And...nell-Cole.aspx

Unread 11-04-2011, 11:53 PM
gbmufc

Just found this with the goals on it.

http://www.footymatters.com/articles...utures-bright/

Unread 11-04-2011, 11:59 PM
dunk

Watched the highlights when I got home today. Pogba is a monster, no reason he won't break through next season, given Wilshire's progress in the last 12 months I would say he has every chance.

Unread 12-04-2011, 12:10 AM
RedMenace

I love watching Poggers. He loves his Zidane-esque "round the world" drag back in fairness to him. Such a great shot that you feel he'll score from anywhere. Get back in there and have the midfield trio back up and running and Chelsea will have a hell of a time trying to deal with them.

Unread 12-04-2011, 09:16 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
I love watching Poggers. He loves his Zidane-esque "round the world" drag back in fairness to him. Such a great shot that you feel he'll score from anywhere. Get back in there and have the midfield trio back up and running and Chelsea will have a hell of a time trying to deal with them.
Especially with Will Keane with another game or 2 under his belt. He should've scored in that 1st half.

Unread 12-04-2011, 09:18 AM
no fun

can you pay on the gate next wednesday ?

Unread 12-04-2011, 09:20 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
can you pay on the gate next wednesday ?
Dunno, you usually can for this kind of thing. I might venture down if you can.
Closed Thread