United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-04-2011, 01:25 PM
red in cumbria

Default Re: Players who never reached their full potential while playing for United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo
John Curtis

( Highly regarded at one point ..never the same player after Overmars ran him ragged at OT 1997/98 season )

From a similar vintage : Ben Thornley

( Terry Cooke )
Agree about Cooke - people used to rave about him when he was a youth teamer.

Unread 15-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Stickman

Default Re: Players who never reached their full potential while playing for United

Glad someones pointed out what a £#%&!ing waste of time the world club championship is. Super Cup is held in higher regard.
Bosnich was good at the bernabeu. But £#%&!ing £#%&! in the main, hated him. Was never Utd in a month of Sundays for me. Actually liked when he joined Chelsea and hit the charlie.

Unread 15-04-2011, 01:51 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Glad someones pointed out what a £#%&!ing waste of time the world club championship is. Super Cup is held in higher regard.Bosnich was good at the bernabeu. But £#%&!ing £#%&! in the main, hated him. Was never Utd in a month of Sundays for me. Actually liked when he joined Chelsea and hit the charlie.
Which we haven't won for two decades

Unread 15-04-2011, 02:01 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Glad someones pointed out what a £#%&!ing waste of time the world club championship is. Super Cup is held in higher regard.
Bosnich was good at the bernabeu. But £#%&!ing £#%&! in the main, hated him. Was never Utd in a month of Sundays for me. Actually liked when he joined Chelsea and hit the charlie.
Bosnich is the only player I've ever heard Fergie talk about as a genuine mistake. Not like 'oh, it hasn't worked out for him' kinda sentiment. I remember him admitting that they got that one wrong and he was never a United player.

Ouch!

Unread 15-04-2011, 02:03 PM
PaulParkers

Jordi Cryuff

Unread 15-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Mr_Ed

Mark Robins

Unread 15-04-2011, 02:08 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkersPubes
Jordi Cryuff
Didn't think he had much potential to reach, tbh. Probably better once he left us, but an average player really.

For me, Saha would be high on the list. He really did have everything, but injuries and mentality set him back. You still see it in fleeting moments at Everton.

Unread 15-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo
( Terry Cooke )
City destroyed his career by not playing him when he was flying in division 2 cos it would have cost em half a mil for another game.

Unread 15-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Glad someones pointed out what a £#%&!ing waste of time the world club championship is.
I got slated for saying the same on here once. It's an international charity shield, nothing more.

Unread 15-04-2011, 03:45 PM
red in cumbria

I remember his equaliser at Derby in the Treble season best - nicely taken goal

He did well for Alaves after he left us - shame he/they couldn't quite stop the Dippers plastic treble

Unread 15-04-2011, 03:55 PM
dunk

Kieran Richardson
Tony Gill
Deniol Graham
Giuliano Maiorana

Unread 15-04-2011, 04:58 PM
roterteufel

gary birtles

Unread 15-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Sandman

Johnny Giles

Unread 15-04-2011, 05:34 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Johnny Giles
Actually, not a bad call - can't think of many others who went on to greater things after leaving in the Busby era.

Unread 15-04-2011, 05:58 PM
£#%&! KFC

agreed on Butt obviously

Stam was great and would have been a real legend if he hadn't written the book the silly @#%&!

surprised no one has mentioned Barthez

or Terry £#%&!ing Gibson

Unread 20-04-2011, 12:43 PM
dunk

Thumbs up Re: Players who never reached their full potential while playing for United

This is as good a thread as any for this...

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articl...ts-him-1580281

Quote:
Brazilian legend Carlos Alberto is convinced Manchester United midfielder Anderson can be the world's best - if he is played to his strengths.

With United manager Sir Alex Ferguson hoping to rebuild his midfield as Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs near the end of their careers, Anderson is expected to live up to his price tag and early reputation.

Alberto is convinced he can do that – if United play to his strengths.

“In Brazil, we compared him to Ronaldinho because he is a very skilled player,” he told the Manchester Evening News. “But over here, he seems to be playing more defensively and this is not the best way for him to play.

“I hope they change their ideas and give him a free role. Then he can start to show just how good he is.

“He has shown at times how good he can be but if Sir Alex gives him freedom to play, he is going to show that he can be one of the best players in the world.

“Any good Brazilian player can play here or in any other country. They only need to have some time because when they come over here they change their style and the tactics.

“If they are given a chance to get used to it they will prove that they are good players.

“The example is Anderson. He came from Brazil and they changed his position. It takes time but they can prove that they can play here.”

Unread 20-04-2011, 01:10 PM
andyroo

I really cannot believe he was ever, ever compared to Ronaldinho :shakehead:

I'm not a hater, but he does make everything look like such hard work. The complete opposite of Ronaldinho. Mental.

Unread 20-04-2011, 01:18 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
This is as good a thread as any for this...

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articl...ts-him-1580281

Carlos Alberto ought to be thankful he hasn't had to watch the useless £#%&!er on a close up basis for the last 3 years.

Unread 20-04-2011, 01:22 PM
beansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
I really cannot believe he was ever, ever compared to Ronaldinho :shakehead:

I'm not a hater, but he does make everything look like such hard work. The complete opposite of Ronaldinho. Mental.
Got the kiss of death from Marlo calling him 'Big Ando'. Rest was history.
Closed Thread