United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 15-08-2023, 03:29 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Need to give him time to adapt really, and last night was a horror show of a performance from the side.

The biggest issue I have with Mount from watching him for years is that he doesn't get involved enough. It happens when he is playing for England. He needs to get on the ball more, as we do not have a playmaker (for want of a better term) in the side. He seems to be happy to drift through games and only be on the ball when he can impact the game with a pass in the final third. We need him to advance the play from deeper and be the player who breaks the lines with a pass to spring counters and maintain possession when under the cosh etc. He's played #8 before, but there is more emphasis here on his ability to help us to dictate games, rather than simply score / create as Casemiro isn't really in that mould - will be interesting what type of player replaces him.

Could probably argue that we have bought the wrong player, as we will need to mould him into that player.
Yep, he's played within himself a bit & I hope ETH can coach & provoke some more personality from him. Young enough to really grow into his true role, maturity & the move to United can hopefully be the making of him nailing the role.

If not, he's still a fine player & one that we can utilise a lot over a season.

Unread 15-08-2023, 03:33 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
lol.

casemiro was exposed because mount is so good at pressing? ok, love.
she might as well be part of the Erik tan Hoes..

they will defend mount to the end.

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:12 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
If we're playing like that after 10 games we'll be in the bottom 3.

Aside from Aston Villa's performance at Newcastle, that was without doubt the worst performance from any side i've seen this opening weekend. It was absolutely abject.

I'm not really willing to shrug and go 'oh well we won lets move on' because it's alarming. There's no way a top club who have intentions on moving onto challenging for the league should be allowing their standards to drop to that extent. If you want to challenge then there has to be a level that you don't drop below and this side drops far below it too often.

There's no discernable difference from last season in terms of performance. The only difference I saw there was wolves couldn't finish. Other than that it was pretty much exactly the same as the brighton and brentford games last season. Bullied, disorganised and huge gaps all over the pitch.

How can that be? How can a side like wolves who lost 20 games last season... have had to sell and release about 15 players, scratching around for free transfers, spent about £40 million quid total and got their manager in barely a week ago, come to old trafford and run rings around us like that? I'm sorry that's not £#%&!ing good enough. What exactly is happening at carrington causing them to perform like that? And this isn't exactly a new phenomenon is it. We got absolutely hustled and bullied so many times last season especially away from home simply because we weren't up to it physically.

Wolves signed that Cunha for 40 million quid and he ran that game like he was £#%&!ing Zinedine Zidane. Maybe we'd have been better off signing him and not wasting 60 million on an absolute nothing footballer like Mount.
Yes it was bad. But it’s clear to see they weren’t match sharp. That is on the club to make sure they’re ready it’s not an excuse. I think you have to give time to a new style before you write it off. Personally I don’t like the idea of moving shaw into CM. I preferred what he was doing last season in which the full back would join a back three as the other attacks down the wing.

If he wants to bring mount and Bruno into the fold he will have to play 433 or move one of them or stick to what he attempted to play last night. Maybe until hojlund comes back it might not be a bad idea to stick mount on the left .

Suppose there isn’t really a CM to partner Casemiro if you do that. Eriksens legs have gone and Casemiro looks like he will need a few games to get it together. Do you risk playing The Scottish Player there? Maybe start donny next to Casemiro . I don’t know. His options are limited .

We need to sign another CM if he wants to play this way. Either that or he hopes yesterdays team and tactics click. A lot depends on Casemiro imo. We better hope he can put in 40-50 good appearances this season otherwise we are £#%&!ed. He wasn’t great last night I’m hoping it’s down to fitness and sharpness.

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:16 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
We need to sign another CM if he wants to play this way.
at least.

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:43 PM
pedr0

caracao and baron talking a lot of sense.

mount didn't have an especially bad game. it was a pure 6/10 performance, tidy but ineffectual. there will be more like it.

sadly, it looks like ETH is just a pep rip-off merchant and wants to play this hybrid 4-3-3 / 3-4-3. through that lens, mount is an understandable signing. he's a mobile number 8 who can follow instructions. im just not convinced that we have the players with the requisite fitness, discipline and intelligence to make it work. it really doesn't suit either of our full-backs, case, or Bruno.

I'm predicting a messy few weeks before we end up reverting to a more traditional 4-2-3-1 with mount competing for minutes across the band of three.

Unread 15-08-2023, 07:30 PM
browser

I wonder if in the games against the lesser teams, we might see Martinez step into midfield when we have the ball. Mount and Bruno winning the ball high up has big advantages when our attackers are on form but they were all wasteful last night and the turnover of possession made it seem like Bruno and mount were just continually doing doggies and Casemiro kept getting overran on the counter. Martinez stepping in might help this, we could do with a pacy centre half in behind him tho if this were to happen and we don’t have one.

There might have been the element of surprise last night too. Wolves showed none of that dynamism and running from deep last season with Neves and Moutinho in the middle, O’Neill said after the game that he knew how we’d set up and he really did counter it intelligently.

Big games I think we’ll see mount off the left and Eriksen in alongside Casemiro, as Jem has suggested in the past. It’s not been an eye catching start for Mount but he has the tactical and physical capabilities to offer a lot, he needs backing for the season.

Surprised the front 3 aren’t taking more heat for last night, they were appalling and the biggest reason for the performance imo.

Unread 15-08-2023, 07:49 PM
Baron

It’s all very early, incorporating him & the new striker and having options is a great thing. Hopefully Sancho is fit and at it. Forwards that score and assist make it a lot easier for the midfield to shine, we will improve no end I’m sure, and build those relationships between players, triangle’s everywhere, fast interchanges. We’ll be good.

Unread 15-08-2023, 07:52 PM
jem

to be fair to wolves, cunho's penetration was epic. we really shouldn't be caught by surprise or unable to adapt, though.

also, to be fair to wolves, semedo handled nacho well.

and I'm not just saying that in case the pipe comes on.

Unread 15-08-2023, 08:01 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
It’s all very early, incorporating him & the new striker and having options is a great thing. Hopefully Sancho is fit and at it. Forwards that score and assist make it a lot easier for the midfield to shine, we will improve no end I’m sure, and build those relationships between players, triangle’s everywhere, fast interchanges. We’ll be good.
that’s fair enough but aren’t you worried about attacking quality or lack of it.

rashford hasn’t proven he can do it consistently, and Antony is useless ! There’s barely anything else and we are taking this lot into the champions league.

That 60m should have been spend on a forward. Simple as imo

Unread 15-08-2023, 08:11 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
That 60m should have been spend on a forward. Simple as imo
who

Unread 15-08-2023, 08:12 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
who
Should have stuck it on top of what we paid for our 9 goal assassin and got Kane...

Unread 15-08-2023, 08:16 PM
BigJim

Quote:
she might as well be part of the Erik tan Hoes..

they will defend mount to the end.
Well, to the end of his first game at least.

It's a tough one, not gonna lie. Marlo...ten Hag, Marlo...ten Hag....

Unread 15-08-2023, 08:20 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Should have stuck it on top of what we paid for our 9 goal assassin and got Kane...
nah would have been gutted to miss out on razzers. i think we can survive with our attacking players for another season. what we need more than anything right now is a midfielder to replace mount.

Unread 15-08-2023, 08:27 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
Well, to the end of his first game at least.

It's a tough one, not gonna lie. Marlo...ten Hag, Marlo...ten Hag....

If i was Dutch i could get away with murder on here….

After the West Ham and Sevilla game it’s was obvious we needed a reliable source of goals and a midfielder to help us not be so weak and hapless in midfield.

We spent 130m on two players and still need both players we needed initially yet it’s be said on here we had a brilliant window.

The Erik Tan Hoes are dangerous!

Unread 15-08-2023, 08:30 PM
BigJim

Quote:
If i was Dutch i could get away with murder on here….

After the West Ham and Sevilla game it’s was obvious we needed a reliable source of goals and a midfielder to help us not be so weak and hapless in midfield.

We spent 130m on two players and still need both players we needed initially yet it’s be said on here we had a brilliant window.

The Erik Tan Hoes are dangerous!
You DO get away with murder on here. I've never seen such energy and commitment put into a wum tbh. (outside of Jem and Welly)

Unread 15-08-2023, 08:57 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
You DO get away with murder on here. I've never seen such energy and commitment put into a wum tbh. (outside of Jem and Welly)
firstly, wumming should be effortless (although it pays to do your research).

secondly, I never wum.

Unread 16-08-2023, 12:34 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Ronaldo’s Bolton game?
Where he scored a total of <checks notes> zero goals?

Unread 16-08-2023, 06:05 AM
BigJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
firstly, wumming should be effortless (although it pays to do your research).

secondly, I never wum.
Sorry, I must have been thinking of someone else who would spend all night arguing with his alt-account on RI.

Unread 16-08-2023, 06:22 AM
marlo

yep the signing that we needed , Mason Mount

So Gary thinks we still need a striker and a DMF. Interesting

Unread 16-08-2023, 08:10 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
https://x.com/gnev2/status/169147699...Nn5G1bnpwj1gww

yep the signing that we needed , Mason Mount

https://x.com/gnev2/status/169147549...Nn5G1bnpwj1gww

So Gary thinks we still need a striker and a DMF. Interesting
So what other prolific, experienced striker do you want with Hojlund? And Hojlunds preferred position is right through the middle, so where would this other forward play?

What formation do you want to see?