20-30 11 25.58%
30-40 4 9.30%
40-50 4 9.30%
50+ 14 32.56%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 10-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Rhodzy

Default How many crosses will we attempt against Arsenal?

Poll pol.

Unread 10-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Harri Jaffa

Loads

Probably the best team to use that tactic on tbph

Unread 10-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Football taught by Jack Charlton.

Unread 10-02-2014, 03:38 PM
dunk

Not that many I wouldn't have thought. We barely got out of our half in the 2nd half of the game at OT

Unread 10-02-2014, 03:40 PM
naes_sean

you're assuming we'll get a touch of the ball??

we shouldn't even bother.

Unread 10-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Saw a great statue of him in Cork airport, full size, fishing tackle, waders, the £#%&!ing lot.

Unread 10-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Saw a great statue of him in Cork airport, full size, fishing tackle, waders, the £#%&!ing lot.
typical cork boggers, always missing the point.

Unread 10-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Mr Castro

Hmm well Arsenal won't let us have 75% possession so it won't be as much but I reckon we'll achieve at least 24

Unread 10-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Sparky***

10-20 I reckon.

Only because Arsenal just won't give us the ball.

Unread 10-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Torquemada

Does it matter? We'll probably get thumped or scab something by playing woeful football. At least it's the Arse who, on their day, can eclipse anyone for being dreadfully inadequate! :shakehead:

Unread 10-02-2014, 04:15 PM
dodger

Thumbs up

Quote:

Unread 10-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

i've gone for 50+ but then I'm always optimistic. hoping for more tbh.

Unread 10-02-2014, 04:21 PM
jem

banner for liverpool (h): "come back when you've crossed it 80 times"

Unread 10-02-2014, 06:37 PM
zzalsar3

Whats people problem with crosses all of a sudden ?

No one complained when Beckham or Ronaldo or Giggs crossed for Hughes, Cantona or Ruud to score from.

Noone complained when Coppell or Hill crossed the ball either.

We want wingers and width and wide players...so long as they dont cross the ball into the box too much ?

Unread 10-02-2014, 06:40 PM
RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzalsar3
Whats people problem with crosses all of a sudden ?

No one complained when Beckham or Ronaldo or Giggs crossed for Hughes, Cantona or Ruud to score from.

Noone complained when Coppell or Hill crossed the ball either.

We want wingers and width and wide players...so long as they dont cross the ball into the box too much ?
I don't recall the above doing it 80 times in one game

Unread 10-02-2014, 06:47 PM
zzalsar3

Even this BS about "only 18 out of 82 reached a United player"...

Anyone stopped to think thats a very normal ratio ?

Some article about cross rations that reach a team mate from last year...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...st-season.html

This 18 our of 82 from Sunday would beat the top of that list of ratios and percentages ( 22% cross "success" ) and over half the PL teams have lower "cross success rates"

The only side that beats that was a team with Andy Carroll playing centre forward.

Pity RvP and Ashley Young didn't stick their chances away from these crosses.

And pity we can't defend and let in two goals from two attacks. Defend properly and those crosses win the match for us. Defend badly and you drop points.

Lets not get the ball into the box from wide areas ? Er what ?

Theres a case to be made that putting high balls into our players might have been a waste...but they weren't all big/high crosses - they were a variety - including fast low balls that zipped across...the sort that players like Rooney, van Persie, and Hernandez have scored plenty of goals from.

Don't believe the tabloid hype. The problem was we conceded two goals, not that we crossed the ball into the box - where the goals are scored from.

To be fair plenty moan when Valencia tries his low fast crosses instead of ariel balls. Now they moan when players don't do low fast crosses.

Unread 10-02-2014, 07:19 PM
zzalsar3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
I don't recall the above doing it 80 times in one game
Do you keep count ? Do you question the amount of crosses when United have won 6-0 in the past.

Or do you only question them when you are told that getting the ball in the box is suddenly a bad thing...after we concede two stupid soft goals from two attacks at the other end.

Not sure we should brainlessly let some newspaper statistic tell us NOT to put the ball into the box in a variety of ways that we did.

People cry out for width...but don't want the ball put into the box ? Cos some alcoholic journo does a spreadsheet ?
Both our goals came from...crosses.
We had other great chances from...crosses.
We conceded an early goal from...a cross.
We concede a late goal from a header inside the six yard box ( albeit from a parried shot than a cross )

I've read articles today that try to make that "success rate" sound bad when in fact its better than usual. Don't believe the hype.

Yet there will be £#%&!wits at the next match groaning if we dare to put the ball across the box after this £#%&!witted inability to cope with thinking for themselves about what happens in a football match.

The same £#%&!wits who moan when we play narrow stifled football.

When United score twice that should be 3 points against a team at the bottom of the league...if we defend properly. The fact that we cannot defend is £#%&! all to do with how many crosses we put in.

Question the defence far more than the fact that United are playing with width ffs.
Be very careful what you wish for.
And think for yourselves.

Unread 10-02-2014, 07:23 PM
andyroo

We want to put the ball in the goal, not in the box. Putting it repeatedly into the box where Fulham were having no trouble at all in putting it straight back out again, and doing it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again* in spite of all evidence that it wasn't working is just perverse.

(*and again)

Unread 10-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Manutd1999

I can see some rubbish cross going in, an arsenal player panicking and diverting it into the net for an own goal, DM will then come out in the interview and say how the players are taking in his methods and they paid off...

Unread 10-02-2014, 07:30 PM
zzalsar3

Quote:
Use your brain. If you think Jack Charlton was about getting the ball wide and having wingers and overlapping fullbacks putting crosses in...£#%&! me. Jack Charlton was long ball pump it up and have big men wrestle and throw their weight around and hope for a knock down. Route one.

If you don't think Uniteds exciting and successful teams were built on wide players getting crosses in, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Football taught by Matt Busby - certainly.
Football taught by Tommy Docherty - Gordon Hill, Steve Coppell - certainly.
Football taught by Fergie - Giggs, Sharpe, Kanchelkis, Beckham and even latterly winning titles against the odd with Antionio Valencia putting in crosses.

Not sure how you could get that mixed up with Jack Charlton. Some £#%&!wits will believe any %@#$&!s fed to them by a shite journalist with a computer.
Closed Thread