United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 16-09-2019, 12:11 PM
utd99

No one knows whether The Scottish Player is the future or not, but I think it’s clear that Matic is the past. At best he should be a last resort if nothing else is working.

Unread 16-09-2019, 12:14 PM
ZiggyStardust

The Scottish Player looks like a box to box midfielder to me
Doesn't look like a DM at all especially when it comes to positioning himself to receive passes from the defence

Unread 16-09-2019, 12:24 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
The Scottish Player looks like a box to box midfielder to me
Doesn't look like a DM at all especially when it comes to positioning himself to receive passes from the defence
Yep.

Much better as B2B midfielder

Won us a penalty and set up a goal already this season with his runs into the oppo’s half and box.

Get a proper holding midfielder (or try axel) and let Pogba and Mactominay get forward.

Unread 16-09-2019, 01:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by saayfooty
Loads of players gave the ball away yet Matic is targeted.
Because of the manner in which he gave it away, where he gave it away and the frequency. The manager practically dragged him off the pitch. Says it all.

Unread 16-09-2019, 01:09 PM
AK14

Quote:
Loads of players gave the ball away yet Matic is targeted.

He can be a squad player who is used for very specific reasons at best.

My comments are in reaction to people praising his performance and giving him MOTM.

Still question marks about his quality.

Also, the formation in general doesn't help any of the DMs, CMs and CAMs. We should be playing 433.
Nqat

But I guess the reason we play the 4231 is because we haven't really got a competent DM. Matic is our only one and he’s shit.

Unread 16-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
My comments are in reaction to people praising his performance and giving him MOTM.
But the issue is, he was picked out as being the MOTM by practically everyone who watched the game, pundits and fans alike.

But instead of praising him, you'd rather say that he's non-existent offensively, and all he did was run around, and that there was no difference between him and Matic, which by all accounts is %@#$&!s.

You mentioned that he has no responsibilities, but he's started all games this season as a Manchester United centre midfielder. That's definitely some responsibility.

From what you posted in the Matic thread the other week, and your reaction to the Leicester game, I'm struggling to work out what your issue with The Scottish Player really is

Unread 16-09-2019, 01:36 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Nqat

But I guess the reason we play the 4231 is because we haven't really got a competent DM. Matic is our only one and he’s shit.
That and our complete lack of anyone to play on the right side of the attack

Unread 16-09-2019, 02:01 PM
utd99

Quote:
He can be a squad player who is used for very specific reasons at best.

You have no idea if that's his ceiling; no one does, it's impossible. He's shown some very good traits and played well on Saturday. Not sure why anyone would write off a young player after 30 some odd games tbh.

Unread 16-09-2019, 02:20 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That and our complete lack of anyone to play on the right side of the attack
James is fine when he goes over there. We need another of him

Unread 16-09-2019, 02:38 PM
jem

Quote:
We stopped giving it away and passing it out of play, we were no longer penned in our own half and we even offered a couple of mild threats purely by virtue of Matic not lumbering about failing to do his defensive work and giving it away every time he touched it either directly or by playing hospital passes. He’s £#%&!ing dire. Also, hooking Matic & Matameant The Scottish Player didn’t have to babysit him and could push on a bit safe in the knowledge Fred and Pereira can run, which led to him winning the free kick Rashford hit the bar with. Small things that were caused by Matic and Mata holding us back.
you hate matic, though.

I love matic. and am lukewarm on mctog. but he was motm and that's about the worst performance matic has put in.

have a feeling you might be being wummed.
Quote:
Get a proper holding midfielder (or try axel) and let Pogba and Mactominay get forward.
one holding midfielder is not a midfield. soz. and pogba shouldn't be allowed in our half.

Unread 16-09-2019, 03:40 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
you hate matic, though.

I love matic. and am lukewarm on mctog. but he was motm and that's about the worst performance matic has put in.

have a feeling you might be being wummed.
one holding midfielder is not a midfield. soz. and pogba shouldn't be allowed in our half.
You loved Valencia. Case closed m'lud.

Unread 16-09-2019, 03:43 PM
jem

Quote:
You loved Valencia. Case closed m'lud.
so, you question my judgement when I'm agreeing with you? bold decision.

Unread 16-09-2019, 03:56 PM
saayfooty

Quote:
Because of the manner in which he gave it away, where he gave it away and the frequency. The manager practically dragged him off the pitch. Says it all.
Manager doesn't rate him. He should have sold him too if that is the case. Pointless having him if he doesn't trust/believe in him.

Quote:
Nqat

When did Matic turn so shit? I'm baffled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
But the issue is, he was picked out as being the MOTM by practically everyone who watched the game, pundits and fans alike.

But instead of praising him, you'd rather say that he's non-existent offensively, and all he did was run around, and that there was no difference between him and Matic, which by all accounts is %@#$&!s.
No SIGNIFICANT difference.

I reserve praise for praise worthy performances. McT did OK defensively. Move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
You mentioned that he has no responsibilities, but he's started all games this season as a Manchester United centre midfielder. That's definitely some responsibility.

From what you posted in the Matic thread the other week, and your reaction to the Leicester game, I'm struggling to work out what your issue with The Scottish Player really is
You misunderstand what I mean by responsibility. He is not a leading figure who everyone looks to for guidance, inspiration and leadership. Eventually, the amount of hype he is receiving will have an effect which is to increase what people expect from him. At that point, people will see that he is a very limited player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
You have no idea if that's his ceiling; no one does, it's impossible. He's shown some very good traits and played well on Saturday. Not sure why anyone would write off a young player after 30 some odd games tbh.
I didn't write him off. I said he will be a squad player at best. That's his limit. That's my opinion and I don't think I am stepping out on a ledge with that one.

Unread 16-09-2019, 03:58 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
You misunderstand what I mean by responsibility. He is not a leading figure who everyone looks to for guidance, inspiration and leadership. Eventually, the amount of hype he is receiving will have an effect which is to increase what people expect from him. At that point, people will see that he is a very limited player.
I think Jem is right, massive wum.

Unread 16-09-2019, 04:17 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
so, you question my judgement when I'm agreeing with you? bold decision.
You're not, you are suggesting Matic just had a bad day, that's been his level for a season and a bit.

Unread 16-09-2019, 04:38 PM
jem

Quote:
You're not, you are suggesting Matic just had a bad day, that's been his level for a season and a bit.

would have been immense with valencia.

Unread 16-09-2019, 05:10 PM
red in cumbria

Matic has reached the end of the road, pretty much. It happens to even the best players eventually.

Unread 16-09-2019, 05:17 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

would have been immense with valencia.
for Valencia maybe..