United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Barca '91

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i wonder if benitez might go with 3 cbs and wing backs. i seem to remember him saying something along those lines.

lahm is a wonderful player. he's actually right-footed, isn't he? he always plays lb, though, and i still think we have a more pressing need for a decent rb to cover neville.
too many commas in there bors, made me a little queasy

Unread 07-08-2007, 08:52 AM
The Return of JC

I've thought the same thing. Liverpool's back four is very solid and he'll have a hell of a job disodging Riise at left back.

I don't see the thinking behind it, and that's not just me being biased.

I'm starting to think now that it's best to let him go. I mean, it's not going to greatly improve them is it? And the last thing we need is more bloody legal rumblings.

I can't see now how he can stay and if he wants to go there so badly then fine, but he'll be hated more than anyone I can imagine in recent times.

Considering that Phil Chisnall was playing in an era so very different from today, this is virtually unprecedented. If he can live with that, then let him go.

We'll have the last laugh when Ronaldo tears him a new one in front of the stretty.

Unread 07-08-2007, 08:55 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca '91
too many commas in there bors, made me a little queasy
sorry, barca. it is, i suppose, or might be, quite early, you might say, in the morning, if morning it is, or was when you posted, wherever you are.

i'll try and cut down.

Unread 07-08-2007, 09:19 AM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
we could put in some clauses relating to extra payments for trophies won - it would have comedy value at least.

now THAT i DO like

Unread 07-08-2007, 09:22 AM
El Calafate

the fact that not one big european team has come in says it all. Gabby has really £#%&!ed me off. nft.

Unread 07-08-2007, 09:36 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
could sell him to liverpool with a buy-back clause?

£#%&! it, he's an idiot for wanting to go to liverpool, but surely our rivals are the likes of real, barca, inter and milan?

part of me wants to see him get fit and return to his early form for united.

the other part of me thinks he's always been a £#%&!ing liability. um... although evra is a £#%&!ing liability in defence too.

I'd happily let him go to liverpool if we had a decent left back.
That's utter %@#$&!s Jem. They will always be our rivals.

Unread 07-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Norm

I'm surprised alot of people seem to have a downer on Evra. I believe he is quality and gives us balance in both full back positions getting forward (Him on one side, Nevile on the other) and IMHO he is a hundred times better defensively than heinze EVER was.
Suppose people still judge him on his debut.

Unread 07-08-2007, 09:46 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm
I'm surprised alot of people seem to have a downer on Evra. I believe he is quality and gives us balance in both full back positions getting forward (Him on one side, Nevile on the other) and IMHO he is a hundred times better defensively than heinze EVER was.
Suppose people still judge him on his debut.
He was our best player on Sunday, covered two positions after Silvestre decided to slide in at every opportunity, was easily the division's best left back last season and he's still labelled a liability?!

All I can see is he lacks a little bit of discipline and gets caught high up the pitch, but no more so than Ashley Cole and he's regarded as one of the best in the world. And he can work on that.

Evra is improving all the time, still young enough to learn and it's only his second full season.

Unread 07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Mr_Ed

I don't care if we had all the left backs in the premiership... it's just that he wants to go to them... and they will adore him for that fact and I will personally hate him.

For some reason I'm really miffed about all this.

Unread 07-08-2007, 08:01 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
That's utter %@#$&!s Jem. They will always be our rivals.
well, yes, obviously. they are our spiritual rivals. but it's not like we actually need to worry about giving them heinze. he won't turn them into convincing challengers for the premiership this season (which is what I meant by rivals in this instance. and don't point out none of the teams I mentioned can win the premiership).

I like the idea of lahm, though.

Unread 07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

Evra is a fine footballer who can defend very well and attack superbly, and I wouldn't have it any other way. We have cover in Silvestre for now, albeit that would worry me for the most part. Across the entire defence we have fine young players coming through, and that is the most important thing. Simpson, Bardsley, Foster, Evans, Evans, Pique, Cathcart, Lee, Eckersley; if we're lucky, and they keep progressing as they are, we could end up with an entire back 5 of real quality from that lot, in keeping with the true traditions of Manchester United.

On this basis alone we can afford to make Heinze rot unless he agrees to £#%&! off abroad and not move to the vermin for at least 2 years (when his contract with United would've allowed him to do so freely).

Unread 07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
celtbion

Incidentally, I heard an interesting theory elsewhere today.

Fergie is just holding out as long as possible so Heinze will start his Liverpool career without a pre-season and a few games into the Premiership calendar.
Closed Thread