United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-05-2018, 07:55 AM
sub three hours

Question As I don't remember Harry Gregg I'm going to say that De Gea is the best i've seen bar none for us.

My Dad and my Grandad would both have said Harry Gregg but I don't remember him.

Over the years and just off the top of my head I can remember; Stepney, Roche, Rimmer, Bailey, Leighton, Schmeichel, Barthez and Van Der Sar. For me though De Gea is quite literally the number one. Your opinions please?

Unread 22-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

been watching a few 90s highlights recently. (this is how it feels to be liverpool)

Schmeichel for me. He was a typical scandi bell. But just a joke when it came to pulling off 1v1 miracles.

what a an utter dork though.

Unread 22-05-2018, 07:59 AM
TheFatGoth

Yep, best for me. Feel sorry for him that he's surrounded by such shite - he deserves to go to Barca or Real tbf.

Loves his metal too, which apparently pisses off the like of "JLingz" .

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:00 AM
andyroo

He's not very cool because of that bertie nonsense after he left but it's Schmeichel for me. Dave makes fewer mistakes and is more ice cool but Schmeichel dominated his area in a way Dave can't.

Dave suits the modern game better though. Basically I'm glad we had Schmeichs when we did now I'm glad we have Dave

Loved Ed. Hated Boz the gobshite. Miss Les

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:03 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
been watching a few 90s highlights recently. (this is how it feels to be liverpool)

Schmeichel for me. He was a typical scandi bell. But just a joke when it came to pulling off 1v1 miracles.

what a an utter dork though.
This.

Best I've seen also.

Can never forgive him, though, for leaving the Premier League due to the 'tiredness' only to get a massive signing on fee at Sporting to then come back a year later for another huge signing on fee at Villa. Then buggers off to Manchester City. Played us like a fiddle...

That celebration when they beat us...

Always remember reading in Backbeat that he was on the phone to his agent the night we won the treble asking about which offers were on the table....

That aside, he was a colossal.

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Whip Hubley

In the last 2 decades we've had, for me, 3 of the greatest of all time - VDS I still feel was hugely underrated. It's not all about 1 on 1's and incredible shot stopping.

Where's grimmers when you need him

Les was always my GK hero growing up though

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:11 AM
Seamus

DeGea for me. Peter Switchmichael tarnished his legacy with his derby antics. He was a close 2nd but he was a shoutey %@#$&!s at the time and maybe we could benefit from that today

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:12 AM
puressence

would have been peter but he ceases to exist in any great team after that maine rd performance ... so degea first edwin second alwys liked gary walsh and steve pears

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:13 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

Les was always my GK hero growing up though

I forgot about Les Sealey

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:13 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
In the last 2 decades we've had, for me, 3 of the greatest of all time - VDS I still feel was hugely underrated. It's not all about 1 on 1's and incredible shot stopping.
We've clearly got a good eye for keepers, which makes some of these all the more baffling...

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:16 AM
AK14

Schmeichel and VDS were brilliant and both had class back fours in front of them

Dave has a bunch of absolute cretins in front of him.

It’s Dave for me.

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:25 AM
andyroo

Forgot about Andy Goram. And Andy Goram.

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:29 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Forgot about Andy Goram. And Andy Goram.

Oh aye, I'd forgotten about Andy Goram too.....Roy Keane's best mate.

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:29 AM
dragflick

Not much between them but Dave is the best imo. How often does he make mistakes nowadays? Some of the saves I've seen him make are £#%&!ing ridiculous and can't imagine anyone else making them. Schmikes was the best in the world aswell in his day, but he made more £#%&! ups than De Gea does.

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Pop

God almighty, look at that cretin.

He looks like some pathetic middle aged old @#%&! who has spotted kids playing football in the park and asked to join in before one of them launches the ball into his %@#$&!s following a feeble overly dramatic attempt at a save, is doubled over in agony on the ground and has to be helped to a bench by his wife

1 - DDG/Schmeichel (cartwheeling @#%&!)
2 - Van Der Sar

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Bunker Buster

Keepers are very Meh for me....

VDS then Barthez have been my personal favourites...

DDG Maybe the best but he actively sought to leave the club and had signed for another club.

Schmieks is an utter @#%&!, everything that has been explained and IRL when I met him at the millennium stadium and asked for a picture...

Utter #@&%!....told him as well....

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:38 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Schmieks is an utter @#%&!, everything that has been explained and IRL when I met him at the millennium stadium and asked for a picture...

How old were you? “Pete! Pete! Peter!”

VDS for me. Steady keeper. Great feet. And a gent. Saw him at a pre-season game in Beijing climb into the stands and give a kid (full VDS goalkeeper kit £#%&!er) his gloves

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:42 AM
believe

Based on their ability and how they played for United, rather than how I know them IRL or what they did elsewhere, Schmeichel is number one.

There was a lot more trust in VDS but I think the way Schmeichel revolutionized goalkeeping and the way the whole game was played goes largely unnoticed (or is forgotten because he worked for someone else)

I think De Gea has a long way to go before he even gets close but he’s on the right path.

Unread 22-05-2018, 08:53 AM
Whip Hubley

Presume you're on a wum about Barthez bunks

big pete though... proper miserable bastard. Used to deliver his paper, never had a smile or owt.

Brucey on the other hand.....

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:01 AM
TheFatGoth

Barthez was great fun in his first season. His little forays outside the box and chipping Kevin Phillips etc.

The fun stopped in his second season though...

Save v Liverpool in his third season almost makes up for his Madrid performances though.
Closed Thread