United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 26-12-2017, 11:54 PM
LFOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
A winning team. Isn't that what we want ? Thats what he has always delivered & the improvement is crystal clear from under the last manager. Its not an instant fix as you have alluded to yourself. There is a lot of deadwood left over from previous managers & we didn't have the quality spine of fernandinho, Aguerro , Silva & De Bruyne that Pep inherited .
We have been involved in 2 really entertaining games in 3 days yet because we didn't win the haters are out. So, tell me what you want ? Entertainment or results ?
easy. under LVG we got neither. moyes poor man - never was a top manager , dull too. i'd ask jose to play united football - or leave.

Unread 26-12-2017, 11:54 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I see your point. If football was only about winning then you should just follow the scores like the old ceefax days. Clearly the actual play doesn't matter if you're that way inclined.
Exactly.

You remember 1999 because we won't three trophies.... but also how we won them..... two 3-3 games against Barca that year were a highlight....we didn't win either. Both were sensational games

Football is meant to be fun ffs.

Quote:
Those things have made him the winner he is .
Is he my favourite manager? No, but he is the manager at the club I support & despite all the negatives comments he is improving us.
He certainly is a winner.... but he does it in a way I don't want at my club and goes against our traditions.... he's improved our results, but that only really supports the argument is is successful. He's done nothing to allay fears he doenst care about style.

Again.... great manager, never a United manager.

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Did you watch the football we played in the latter part of fergies tenure? It was no more attacking than we are seeing from Jose. Fergie became very pragmatic, possibly following the 6-1 home defeat to City. Countless times we resorted to simply hanging onto a 1 goal lead. Remember us kicking Arsenal off the pitch game after game because they were technically far better than us ? Is that the ' Utd way " you yearn for ? . fergie has gone, I doubt any other manager could ever get so much out of so little. Moyes inherited the squad which had won the league by 11 points & finished 7th with it. LVG dismantled it altogether & a major rebuild is needed.

The Utd way is to win . Mou is a winner.

TBF the last 2 games have been as entertaining as you will see yet he is still being hammered. Todays draw I blame on him picking Rojo, the Leicester draw I blame the players you want to rebuild around.
I did . And I agree. Difference is that he was at end. He's earned the right to finish that way after years of style . He wasn't his style over his career . It wasn't his M.O.

The last couple of games were entertaining because we conceded shit goals and had to come out.

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:13 AM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
I did . And I agree. Difference is that he was at end. He's earned the right to finish that way after years of style . He wasn't his style over his career . It wasn't his M.O.

The last couple of games were entertaining because we conceded shit goals and had to come out.
We would always come out & attack Burnley at home, remember last season when we set a record for chances created but even without Rom to £#%&! it up we managed to miss a million chances

We led at Leicester & still created loads of chances. I love counter attacking football & that is what Mou is trying to play but unfortunately the decision making & execution from the players is awful at times, never more obvious than in that game.
This is why MickyT has been so disappointing . In the big games we need a player like him to pick the ball up on the counter & find the pass & keep moving, he hasn't been able to fill that role the way Jose would have expected . We have the pace but lack the clinical aspect

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:18 AM
armchair

all we had to do is beat Bristol to get (the chance of) some kind of revenge on city and we couldn't even do that

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:23 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
League isn't any worse than normal.

Leicester won it two years ago. Spurs second last two seasons. Neither will happen again. City settings records and we used to have Derby setting records with 16 points at the bottom
11, wasn't it?

They still almost got something against us in their super duper cup final that season - some things never change

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:27 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

He was shit@#%&!ing it with Ralphie etc and got 5 years and lower league finishing before his last four years of drudgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
all we had to do is beat Bristol to get (the chance of) some kind of revenge on city and we couldn't even do that
Even if we did beat city, (we wouldn’t) you’d still get the moaners saying we did it in a shit comp.

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:29 AM
utd99

He’s not bought well, he’s not inspiring the players to become better, the football, while better than Van gaal’s, is not consistently good and we are a massive 4 points better off than last year. I Don’t think we demanded the Premier League title yet, but a challenge would have been nice. Feeling like you’re building to something would have been nice; right now it feels like we’re more likely building to an implosion than a title.

We made a decision, and i think it’s important we let stick with and support him, but I’d hoped to be more optimistic 18 months in than I am tbh.

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:31 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
He’s not bought well, he’s not inspiring the players to become better, the football, while better than Van gaal’s, is not consistently good and we are a massive 4 points better off than last year. I Don’t think we demanded the Premier League title yet, but a challenge would have been nice. Feeling like you’re building to something would have been nice; right now it feels like we’re more likely building to an implosion than a title.

We made a decision, and i think it’s important we let stick with and support him, but I’d hoped to be more optimistic 18 months in than I am tbh.
Tbf, at our historical best we’d have struggled to put a credible title challenge in this season

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:33 AM
dunk

Quote:
The Utd way is to win . Mou is a winner.
Let’s all stop watching the games and just watch the results on the BBC App, or, even better, just tune in in May for or the final table and the off chance of a big final..

Ferguson was a winner, not United. Ferguson also knew how to entertain..

Quote:
TBF the last 2 games have been as entertaining as you will see yet he is still being hammered. Todays draw I blame on him picking Rojo, the Leicester draw I blame the players you want to rebuild around.
Didn’t mind the Leicester game that much, frustrating, and idiotic, but football can be.. neither game was entertaining due to intent and quality of football on show but rather for the mistakes and the hectic nature, and the drama, which is fine now and then, but not ideal.

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:37 AM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Let’s all stop watching the games and just watch the results on the BBC App, or, even better, just tune in in May for or the final table and the off chance of a big final..

Didn’t mind the Leicester game that much, frustrating, and idiotic, but football can be.. neither game was entertaining due to intent and quality of football on show but rather for the mistakes and the hectic nature, and the drama, which is fine now and then, but not ideal.
Another one who has airbrushed the last fews seasons of fergies reign .

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:37 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Even if we did beat city, (we wouldn’t) you’d still get the moaners saying we did it in a shit comp.
It’s important to be honest though. One version says that the league cup is a competition, and that the best you can do is win it; another version says that teams usually don’t even take it seriously enough to field a proper team in most rounds before the semi. It’s a tournament that was, and still is, seen a nuisance and an impediment to winning serious trophies. That’s honest.

Similarly the Europa is a competition, and all you can do is win it. However it’s a tournament no one wants to be in and none of the best teams -even in our own league- are in. We used to take the piss that Liverpool constantly won the best of the rest league. Well we won a best of the rest tournament, and while credit is due for that, it should be tempered with the realisation that failure qualified us for it.

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:38 AM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99

4 points at the halfway stage is a substantial improvement .

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:39 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

So, both games entertaining but we didn’t mean to entertain?

Leaving Barca at their peak aside, how many entertaining games have you seen without mistakes?

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:40 AM
utd99

Quote:
4 points at the halfway stage is a substantial improvement .
Hmmm, not really. Circumstance could easily account for 4 points over 19 matches mate.

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:40 AM
dunk

Quote:
You’ve already been put in your place by Clowny on this, so best you pipe down.

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Buck

On a positive I think Shaw played well again. Final ball will get better with more games but he was making a lot of good runs all game. Plus one thing I've always liked about him is he isn't simply a kick,run, cross full back. He can come infield and look for quick 1-2s which opens up space.

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:42 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Another one using their spurious unreliable memory of it to justify this shit

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:43 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
So, both games entertaining but we didn’t mean to entertain?

Leaving Barca at their peak aside, how many entertaining games have you seen without mistakes?
Mate, I’ve watched conference level games that were entertaining, but for entirely different reasons that United games should be entertaining. As I said, occasionally a game littered with errors can be accepted and on we go. But if dull as £#%&! or mistake littered, deficit chasing chaos are the only options, wtf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
On a positive I think Shaw played well again. Final ball will get better with more games but he was making a lot of good runs all game. Plus one thing I've always liked about him is he isn't simply a kick,run, cross full back. He can come infield and look for quick 1-2s which opens up space.
He did. Nice to have someone driving forward, trying to get to the byline and a natural left footer on that side. Leave the £#%&!er there now ffs.

Unread 27-12-2017, 12:45 AM
Kangared

Quote:
You’ve already been put in your place by Clowny on this, so best you pipe down.
Really ?

Him saying playing attractive football in his earlier years allowed him to have the rite to become every bit as pragmatic as Jose later was a killer blow ?