United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Default Oh £#%&! off with your 4-2-3-1 Rooney on the wing

Please, if you wouldn't mind, it doesn't work you see.

£#%&!ers.

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:11 AM
puressence

agreed

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

It doesn't work in Europe either by the way.

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:13 AM
S/Side.Red

It clearly came very close to working. Poor defending cost us that result, not the formation. The gameplan looked to be working perfectly for 83 minutes.

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It clearly came very close to working. Poor defending cost us that result, not the formation. The gameplan looked to be working perfectly for 83 minutes.
I thought after United scored the Arseholes dominated the £#%&!ing midfield, again.

Where the £#%&! was Giggs in the 2nd half.

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:23 AM
wiganste

We needed John O'Shea on the pitch to close up the midfield.

AND HE WASN'T EVEN ON THE BENCH. WHAT THE £#%&! ARE YOU PLAYING AT FERGUSON, YOU £#%&!ING SCOTTISH @#%&!ING £#%&!TARD?

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Qwertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Please, if you wouldn't mind, it doesn't work you see.

£#%&!ers.
Agreed.

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:35 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Unfortunately, a football match is a minimum of 90 minutes.

The only way we were ever going to beat the arse was by playing 4-4-2. We can never defend a single goal lead and the win was always going to be a more positive result than losing would be negative. We should have gone all out to win that match, knowing that we would still be 6 points clear even if we lost. Instead Fergie played it safe and tried to play not to lose and still did. After 20 £#%&!ing years in charge of Manchester United you would have thought he'd know what he was doing by now

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:35 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
It doesn't work in Europe either by the way.
you have a natural talent like rooney yet play him on the wing , you have an ageing giggs and play him upfront , you have a good player in park and he doesnt get a sniff ... you get paid 4 million a year to do your job correctly .

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:40 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Unfortunately, a football match is a minimum of 90 minutes.

The only way we were ever going to beat the arse was by playing 4-4-2. We can never defend a single goal lead and the win was always going to be a more positive result than losing would be negative. We should have gone all out to win that match, knowing that we would still be 6 points clear even if we lost. Instead Fergie played it safe and tried to play not to lose and still did. After 20 £#%&!ing years in charge of Manchester United you would have thought he'd know what he was doing by now
I'm sorry but I don't see how that stands up. Had Arsenal been putting United under good amounts of pressure, or had van der Sar been keeping up in the game - I might agree with you.

As it was, we were extremely confortable until some poor defending (and a foul on Scholes) led to their equalier and we fell apart at the back again for the winner.

I just don't see how that can be blamed on the formation.

Had we played 4-4-2, it probably would have been a different game, but they may well still have won. Like I say, it was close to being a perfectly executed away win against a very good side in a high-pressure match.

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:42 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
... you get paid 4 million a year to do your job correctly .
Does being top of the league by six points in January and still in the FA Cup and Champions League not quality as doing your job?

Or should he win every single match?

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:45 AM
puressence

Quote:
Does being top of the league by six points in January and still in the FA Cup and Champions League not quality as doing your job?

Or should he win every single match?
does playing a talent like rooney on the left wing mean your doing your job

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

S/Side, have United played well with this formation this season? Because unless I'm mistaken everytime he started like this they struggled. He then changed to Giggs on the left. Usually leaving it late. Yesterday it never happened.

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:49 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Had we played 4-4-2, it probably would have been a different game, but they may well still have won. Like I say, it was close to being a perfectly executed away win against a very good side in a high-pressure match.
But at least we might have lost showing some £#%&!ing balls.

The "game plan" didn't work because we entered the last 10 minutes with only a 1 goal lead. Now that might be Carlos's idea of how to win a football match, but it doesn't £#%&!ing work at United. We should have £#%&!ing battered them, not been "comfortable". You have to legislate for a £#%&!-up leading to a soft goal in every match you play in. When was the last time we kept a £#%&!ing clean sheet. We were always going to let one in so we needed to score at least two to win the game. SAF really should know this by now.

Let's just hope this result doesn't come back to haunt us eh.

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:56 AM
S/Side.Red

I think we have to have some respect for the oponent we played yesterday. Of course, in an ideal world we'd have played them off the pitch and won easily, but that would be pretty unrealistic.

United rarerly try to win through unpretty means, and had we held out yesterday it would have been a superb day's work.

Like I say, I just think defending let us down more than anything else. It was an evenly-contested game but we did a great job on them for 83 minutes.

If you want to start picking the bones about the Evra/Heinze/Ronaldo tinkering then that's a slightly different matter, as I don't think that did us any favours.

Unread 22-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Whalefish

Defending a 1 goal lead is not just down to CQ. Who - IMO - happens to be a bloody good coach. But he's an easy target I guess.

The buck stops with Fergie. He made a point post match that we started sitting 10 yards deeper. Well Fergie, instead of snuggling up next to Phelan on the bench get in your technical area and do something about it.

Better still get a captain in who has a pair and will recognise what's going on and will then drag the team out of the mire. You know, like how Roy used to.

Unread 22-01-2007, 11:08 AM
TheNew

What was plainly obvious is that all the space that they were getting was down their right, our left....Evra was committing too far forward and wasn;t getting any protection from Rooney or Ronnie.

Bringing Heinze on earlier and sticking Giggs on the left to offer more protection and I'm certain we would have won the game.

As it is, I was gutted yesterday, but in the cold light of morning, it's not that bad. We're six points clear and we've got Watford and Charlton coming up. £#%&! em'.

Unread 22-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Enjoying Insanity

Anyone defending SAF over yesterday is really defending the indefensible.

At 1-0 it was quite clear there was always going to be another goal in the match. Why didn't we press for it instead of sitting back and trying to absorb the pressure, against Arsenal of all teams, the best passing team in the league.

What in god's name the Ronaldo/Giggs/Rooney nonsense was all about as well, I will never know. Also why did Saha not come on earlier for Larsson, who looked tired and isolated ??

Time for a new manager methinks....

Unread 22-01-2007, 11:26 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
But at least we might have lost showing some £#%&!ing balls.

The "game plan" didn't work because we entered the last 10 minutes with only a 1 goal lead. Now that might be Carlos's idea of how to win a football match, but it doesn't £#%&!ing work at United. We should have £#%&!ing battered them, not been "comfortable". You have to legislate for a £#%&!-up leading to a soft goal in every match you play in. When was the last time we kept a £#%&!ing clean sheet. We were always going to let one in so we needed to score at least two to win the game. SAF really should know this by now.

Let's just hope this result doesn't come back to haunt us eh.
Spot on. Top post.

Unread 22-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Lazarus

No offence but some of you lads have reached the point where you seem to believe that 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 can't lose.. You seem to forget that we've been torn apart away from home playing it before and had good results away to the top sides with the dreaded 4-5-1/whatever you call it.

Now I don't like it and I thought it was patently a mistake to play it at home to the likes of West Brom but we had some significant away results with it.

We also started playing it because we were getting turned over in Europe by nomarks (no change there I suppose) and losing to the top sides in the prem a lot.

I don't even blame Ferguson for yesterday - it was going to plan,we'd contained the most in form attacking side in the country and were on course to be the first side to win there.

What cost us was Bennett not blowing for a foul and lapses in concentration in our players. Vidic and Ferdinand had both been showing signs of it but it looked like we would be alright.

If we'd had Roy Keane circa 1999 - 2003 on the field making sure that no one dared lose their shape,or concentration,we'd have at the very least drawn.

I understand that everyone is gutted but bear in mind that we could have gone there,attacked them with 4-4-1-1 and been two down in no time.
Closed Thread