United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-01-2020, 10:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
That would be good to see.
Erm, that's why they aren't in the box cream.

Unread 29-01-2020, 10:47 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That's £#%&!ing annoying, Rashford was doing the same when he played up top too.

Must be difficult when you're the only forward on the pitch and there's nobody anywhere near you most of the time. Tend to find they drop off looking to get involved because nobody gets the ball into them when they're up top as well, due to the lack of quality. When Rashford and Martial play it's a different game for the pair of them, either on their own and they look a bit blunt. We're desperate for more options up there.
they don't know how to play with their back to goal, they've never had to. They're both at their best receiving the ball in wide areas and isolating defenders and running at them. But you can't build attacks through them when you need to get up the pitch and that's a huge problem for us.

Our distribution from the back is also absolutely woeful at times. Lindelof is a £#%&!ing disaster and Wan Bissaka looks like he's legs made of cheese string when he's trying to play it. It doesn't help one bit and as you say it leads to the forwards straying about the pitch looking for the ball.

You watch Liverpool and their distribution from the back is impeccable. It's their best feature. The other week we pressed them high and Alexander-Arnold just looked up and pinged 60 yard pinpoint crossfield passes to Mane. Every time.

It's a major issue for us and one which would improve greatly if we could find an upgrade for Lindelof.

Unread 29-01-2020, 10:56 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
they don't know how to play with their back to goal, they've never had to. They're both at their best receiving the ball in wide areas and isolating defenders and running at them. But you can't build attacks through them when you need to get up the pitch and that's a huge problem for us.

Our distribution from the back is also absolutely woeful at times. Lindelof is a f***ing disaster and Wan Bissaka looks like he's legs made of cheese string when he's trying to play it. It doesn't help one bit and as you say it leads to the forwards straying about the pitch looking for the ball.

You watch Liverpool and their distribution from the back is impeccable. It's their best feature. The other week we pressed them high and Alexander-Arnold just looked up and pinged 60 yard pinpoint crossfield passes to Mane. Every time.

It's a major issue for us and one which would improve greatly if we could find an upgrade for Lindelof.
Agreed.

You can see the difference Williams has made by just being comfortable on the ball.

Maguire in a five at the back gets more space coming forward.

Lindelof is a weird one. His passing isn't too bad, but he has that immobile awkward technique that Smalling has. Makes everything look difficult.

Unread 29-01-2020, 10:56 PM
dunk

If you watch Liverpool they aren’t pinpoint at all, they drag everyone over then hit balls into the space that their rapid as £#%&! players can get to ahead of the opposition. It’s percentage football in a way. I’ve watched them a good few times this season and they absolutely love a hoof into an empty flank. Doesn’t always come off, but forces the opposition back etc.

Lindelof’s distribution has been one of the strengths in recent weeks, picking out balls hard and low into the feet of advanced midfielders and forwards, can’t do it against Liverpool and City as we’ve all dropped off too much and isolated the forward giving him no options, or against Burnley it was into Pereira who £#%&!ed it up, which is hardly Lindelof’s fault. We get in trouble when dawdling and dicking about between keeper and CB’s, not getting it forward quick enough. Problem is the lack of quality across the front 4-5 when one of Rashford or Martial aren’t playing is so apparent it’s easy for us to be marked out of the game meaning we can’t get the ball forward quick.

Fergie said something along the lines of; if you have one or two goal threats, the opposition can deal with it most of the time, if you have 5 or 6, they don’t know who to mark/stop or how to mark/stop them without freeing up someone else.. that’s what we haven’t got.

Unread 29-01-2020, 11:32 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Erm, that's why they aren't in the box cream.
Martial doesn't make runs or do anything much at all when he does get involved.

He looked afraid tonight. Zlatan would've engineered a move or two. Ronaldo would've probably scored. Rashford. Even that lump Lukaku.

Unread 30-01-2020, 04:21 AM
shenwen

Terrible touch, bad positioning, zero effort. I don't see what his positives are.

The sequence just before Matic got sent off summed it up. Desperate for a goal, not much time left and Martial is standing on the left with three other United players. No attempt to create space, make a run, offer a target n the middle. Just standing still.

Rashford's injury has at least confirmed that Martial is no longer potential. He's just not good enough.

Unread 30-01-2020, 07:02 AM
The taste of...

He’s literally just a pair of £#%&!ing gloves on the pitch

Unread 30-01-2020, 07:08 AM
d_knight

Sell him in the summer before his value drops

Unread 30-01-2020, 07:19 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
He’s literally just a pair of £#%&!ing gloves on the pitch

and a scowl.

Just like Natalie Imbrugliuglia - I'm torn on him.

On one hand, I expect him to be Superman.

On t'other - we are so inconsistent with a soft centre that it is hard for a player like him. He needs Take That to sing 'Shine' to him - or even Aswad - but also he needs better midfielders behind him and more experience next to him.

He'd actually benefit from one of these moody tough guy Eastern European centre forwards. someone whose name ends in '-ovic' ideally. Someone who can cause havoc and let fancy dan twinkle toed Tony 'Boney' M be daddy cool and drown our opponents in the rivers of babylon, football wise.

What the £#%&! was in my coffee this morning

Unread 30-01-2020, 07:23 AM
My Name is Keith

When he has the ball at his feet facing defenders then he’s fairly shit hot. But he just doesn’t work nearly hard enough at the rest of his game. You look at all the top strikers and they bust a gut to find space and get on the end of things whilst tony somehow gives the impression that he doesn’t need to try too hard because he has a gitane to smoke. Even Vardy works his socks off.

For me it’s his attitude not his ability and ultimately, people have to eventually stop making excuses for him. Frustratingly there’s a fair few players at united who show glimpses of greatness but otherwise put in shit performances. For too long we’ve been blaming every other factor we can find other than the player themselves.

Unread 30-01-2020, 07:25 AM
Patty_b

Been done with him for a while. Useless without someone next him with talent that does all the hard work. Rashford was papering over all his failings as a player.

He's pointless. Would be OK as backup but no-ones going to be happy with that arrangement so just get rid. Perfect for PSG and the majority of Micky Mouse fixtures they play.

Unread 30-01-2020, 07:32 AM
Knockers

Just compare him to Aguero, who’s on the wane at this point but even last night was all over our defenders like a lampshade. We need someone in his image, not this moody overrated tart. I stand with Sueders, who’s had his number from minute one.

Unread 30-01-2020, 07:34 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Just compare him to Aguero, who’s on the wane at this point but even last night was all over our defenders like a lampshade. We need someone in his image, not this moody overrated tart. I stand with Sueders, who’s had his number from minute one.
I've been advocating racial profiling for a bit and I honestly think every top team needs a short, stocky South American who works hard and knows where the goal is.

Suarez. Firminho. Aguero.

It's right up there with an African energetic midfielder in my Football Racial Profiling Team Selector.

Unread 30-01-2020, 07:45 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
He’s literally just a pair of f***ing gloves on the pitch

Unread 30-01-2020, 09:44 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Terrible touch, bad positioning, zero effort. I don't see what his positives are.

The sequence just before Matic got sent off summed it up. Desperate for a goal, not much time left and Martial is standing on the left with three other United players. No attempt to create space, make a run, offer a target n the middle. Just standing still.

Rashford's injury has at least confirmed that Martial is no longer potential. He's just not good enough.
You need gigantic balls to be a top forward at a big club.

I knew Rashford was gonna make it when he stepped up to take a free kick in the dying seconds of a match we were losing, and losing in a terrible manner.

He missed. But that wasn't the point.

And obviously there was the penalty in Paris.

Martial is not that guy. What irks is that he's done the whole contract/shirt number thing like he deserves special attention. Hasn't earned it, has he?

In his defence, the lad will score goals and be a threat. He has been trying harder of late. And he's still nowhere near as toxic as Pogba.

Unread 30-01-2020, 09:50 AM
windy waffles

This why we are crying out for a striker - possibly even two.

We currently only have one at the moment - Mason Greenwood.

No idea what has happened to Martial these past couple of weeks.

Unread 30-01-2020, 09:51 AM
redhegemony

I don't think he's earned his placed and hasn't stepped up in the post Lukaku world. Looks good with rashord as they work well together but looks a bit lost on his own.

Unread 30-01-2020, 11:19 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
This why we are crying out for a striker - possibly even two.

We currently only have one at the moment - Mason Greenwood.

No idea what has happened to Martial these past couple of weeks.
Nothing happened. He’s the same as he ever was. Just doesn’t have Rashford next to him to do all the work and make him look good when he sneaks in his one decent performance every five games.

I’m not even convinced he’s that good when facing defenders. Nine times out of ten he runs the ball into a defenders shins or gets the ball stuck under his feet.

Unread 30-01-2020, 12:05 PM
plopborsky

just £#%&!ing sell the @#%&! to inter and be done.

Unread 30-01-2020, 12:25 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
just f***ing sell the c*** to inter and be done.
This.
Closed Thread