United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Music > Tissue Island Discs (TID's)
Closed Thread

Unread 24-09-2009, 09:37 PM
BarryX

Thumbs up Re: Pearl Jam - Black

(pours another double for myself and the host and puts on that youtube link switchingoff just posted)....

what a great version. really powerful live...

Brenner - the track does indeed remind me of a first love, and the split up. And maybe even the second......One of the most powerful songs I ever heard. It just has that effect one me.

Also I love a bit of rock/grunge as much as the next man, so wanted to feature something from the genre. To this day I still think that the whole Seatle movement has produced some of the best guitar based tracks of all time. Too hard to choose just one track from this era, (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and Jeff Buckley, who can’t be branded with the others but was from the same era, all came close).

But this particular beauty from Pearl Jam stands out.

Thanks again for that version, too Switching Off. I'll be putting it on again many times

Unread 24-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Switching Off

Default Re: Pearl Jam - Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
(pours another double for myself and the host and puts on that youtube link switchingoff just posted)....

what a great version. really powerful live...

Brenner - the track does indeed remind me of a first love, and the split up. And maybe even the second......One of the most powerful songs I ever heard. It just has that effect one me.

Also I love a bit of rock/grunge as much as the next man, so wanted to feature something from the genre. To this day I still think that the whole Seatle movement has produced some of the best guitar based tracks of all time. Too hard to choose just one track from this era, (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and Jeff Buckley, who can’t be branded with the others but was from the same era, all came close).

But this particular beauty from Pearl Jam stands out.

Thanks again for that version, too Switching Off. I'll be putting it on again many times
Im not sure if its Benaroya or MSG from 2003 that has Betterman with crowd participation, that evokes the same emotions. I dont want to tie up this thread but if you're in to those bands you should get Dust by Screaming Trees. And join the Rock and Indie forum

Unread 24-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Brenner

Default United Memories

I thought I saw a tear in your eye Baz as you poured me that double. I wasn't sure if it was the spice from the sudjuk though, or the smoke from the cigars...

Taking a break from the music now, fill us all in on your early United memories...

Last edited by Brenner; 24-09-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Unread 24-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Zorg

Default Re: TIDs (3) #3 - BarryX

Quote:
Fast forward indeed to Glastonbury 1993.

As a 17 year old, me and my best mate worked on of the gates taking tickets off people. We started off by let in a few ticketless people (generally nice looking birds and lads we felt sorry for) before realizing that people were actually willing to pay face for the tickets (60 quid a piece if I remember). To us, at that the time, the tickets were just bits of paper that we were ripping up and putting into big plastic bins. Who were we to stop people walking into a fenced off field – we ended up only doing half a shift and to cut a long story short made in the region of 1500 quid on the blackmarket outside. And the festival had only just gotten underway..

Needless to say the next few days were totally insane. Two 17 year olds with a big wad of cash to spend, which we couldn’t take back home (for fear of getting accussed of dealing and general naivety). We spent the lot (bar 100 pounds each). It was like Brewster’s millions only a smaller scale and in the muddy fields of Sommerset surrounded by hippies, public school girls and our mates. We didn’t sleep for 3 days. We treated all our friends to everything. Even strangers. We had the time of our little lives…

Watching The Orb was the highlight of the weekend (even though I was completely wasted and on my own dancing round the crowds for half the set), and this track was the highlight. I was on a different planet….
Excuse the interruption but that's a belting story.

Unread 24-09-2009, 09:44 PM
BarryX

Thumbs up Re: Pearl Jam - Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Im not sure if its Benaroya or MSG from 2003 that has Betterman with crowd participation, that evokes the same emotions. I dont want to tie up this thread but if you're in to those bands you should get Dust by Screaming Trees. And join the Rock and Indie forum
will look into Screaming Trees.

Music is like food to me. ...variety is important, but more so the quality. I love all sorts of music me..

Last edited by BarryX; 24-09-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Unread 24-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Brenner

Quote:
will look into Screaming Trees.

Music is like food to me. And birds (before I got hitched!)...variety is important, but more so the quality. I love all sorts of music me..
*Ahem*

Chardonnay?! Can we hold the listeners calls please until we get to the luxury item please luv, ffs...

Unread 24-09-2009, 09:47 PM
captain scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Its here but no video. its the "I know someday..." bit i meant, f***ing spine tingling

YouTube - Pearl Jam - Black (Benaroya Hall version)
Dear God but that's beautiful.

Unread 24-09-2009, 09:50 PM
BarryX

Default Re: United Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
I thought I saw a tear in your eye Baz as you poured me that double. I wasn't sure if it was the spice from sudjuk though, or the smoke from the cigars...

Taking a break from the music now, fill us all in on your early United memories...
I was born in Nottingham in the mid 70's. My old man was a proper man about the town, and used to go and watch Forest all the time and take me with him (as luck would have it was the only decent time to go and watch them, but as 5 year old I didn't know much about what was going on anyway)..

Anyway watching Cloughie's Forest most people would have thought that I would have been spoilt for choice. However that was until they played United. I vaguely remember it now (but the old fella reminds me of the story) about how my mum was refusing to let him take me to see Utd because she was scared of the trouble that the Red Army would cause But my old man took me anyway....I don't remember the game much, but I do remember the noise made in the away section and the paranoia about the place. My first taste of Utd aggro...

From that moment on I fell in love and have been a lifelong red ever since.

Have been listening (in the early days) or watching, nearly every Utd game since that very day.

Unread 24-09-2009, 09:50 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
*Ahem*

Chardonnay?! Can we hold the listeners calls please until we get to the luxury item please luv, ffs...

sorry boss.

Unread 24-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Erics Collar

Quote:
Fast forward indeed to Glastonbury 1993.

As a 17 year old, me and my best mate worked on of the gates taking tickets off people. We started off by let in a few ticketless people (generally nice looking birds and lads we felt sorry for) before realizing that people were actually willing to pay face for the tickets (60 quid a piece if I remember). To us, at that the time, the tickets were just bits of paper that we were ripping up and putting into big plastic bins. Who were we to stop people walking into a fenced off field – we ended up only doing half a shift and to cut a long story short made in the region of 1500 quid on the blackmarket outside. And the festival had only just gotten underway..

Needless to say the next few days were totally insane. Two 17 year olds with a big wad of cash to spend, which we couldn’t take back home (for fear of getting accussed of dealing and general naivety). We spent the lot (bar 100 pounds each). It was like Brewster’s millions only a smaller scale and in the muddy fields of Sommerset surrounded by hippies, public school girls and our mates. We didn’t sleep for 3 days. We treated all our friends to everything. Even strangers. We had the time of our little lives…

Watching The Orb was the highlight of the weekend (even though I was completely wasted and on my own dancing round the crowds for half the set), and this track was the highlight. I was on a different planet….
i was there aswell 17 years old, just passed my test......took two birds with me Robert Plant awesome too but the ORB were amazing that night....
good memories
Closed Thread