United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Spiffy

Default Zidane - My Biggest Regret Is That I Did Not Play Alongside Scholes.

Zinedine Zidane knows precisely why England continue to knock on Paul Scholes’s door six years after he called time on international duty.
England coach Fabio Capello will once again attempt to talk the 35-year-old Manchester United midfielder into coming out of retirement, despite *failing with a last-ditch bid to take him to the World Cup in the summer.
Yet it is no coincidence that the two England managers who preceded him — Steve *McClaren and Sven Goran Eriksson — also tried and failed to get the red-head to *represent his country again.
To this day Zidane’s declaration that Scholes was his toughest opponent is used as the ultimate tribute to the United star. Assessing *Capello’s latest move to woo Scholes, Zidane said: “It’s only natural to want to select your best players and there is no doubt for me that Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own.

“He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get.
“One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.”
Zidane’s status as the *greatest midfielder of the past 20 years remains unchallenged.
He mixed breath-taking skills and a lethal eye for goal with a physical power that few *opponents could live with.
Physically he stood head and shoulders above Scholes, but in terms of football skills and savvy he regards the Old Trafford hero as his equal. *Zidane went on: “He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn’t get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life *terribly uncomfortable.
“He is the type of player you want on your side, not in *opposition because he could do so much damage.
“He is very gifted. He makes the game look easy because he’s so much natural *ability.”
There is no doubt Scholes’s decision to call time on his international career was a contributing factor in his *on-going success at United.
Zidane said: “It has enabled him to solely concentrate on club football which has *undoubtedly extended his domestic playing career.

Unread 22-08-2010, 12:58 AM
thatsfuctit

Default Re: Zidane - My Biggest Regret Is That I Did Not Play Alongside Scholes.

much scholesy love going on at the moment, and quite right too, £#%&! does he get some cred accolades.

Unread 22-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Camel

Default Re: Zidane - My Biggest Regret Is That I Did Not Play Alongside Scholes.

would've put xavi and iniesta to shame. you'd need a top class dm behind them tho, someone like fletcher. hargreaves or de jong

Unread 22-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Get it posted on RAWK on their 'i hate Paul scholes' thread! No doubt ZZ only wanted to play alongside him to protect himself or some such %@#$&!s!!

Unread 22-08-2010, 01:30 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
Get it posted on RAWK on their 'i hate Paul scholes' thread! No doubt ZZ only wanted to play alongside him to protect himself or some such %@#$&!s!!
Mr Ferguson and Sky and The Sun have clearly paid Zidane to say that

Unread 22-08-2010, 01:34 AM
liamb123

don't see where zidane would have fitted into our team

Unread 22-08-2010, 01:54 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Zidane’s status as the *greatest midfielder of the past 20 years remains unchallenged.
%@#$&!s

Unread 22-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
%@#$&!s
Exactly, he was a fantastic player but the non stop shite about him being on another planet to anyone else is laughable.

Unread 22-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
%@#$&!s
Go on then oh fount of all wisdom!

Please inform us mere mortals who merely attend matches whom you decree to be better than Zidane

Unread 22-08-2010, 02:03 AM
shenwen

Quote:

Please inform us mere mortals who merely attend matches whom you decree to be better than Zidane
carrick, gibson, etc.

(sorry, is too easy)

Unread 22-08-2010, 02:10 AM
taff

Quote:
if you added together all the attributes of zidane and scholes you'd only have half a mascherano.

Unread 22-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Cream

i'd love to meet zidane and crack on i didn't know who he was.

'what's your name? Zidane? Oh, that has a nice RING to it'

A HAH AHAH AA.

Hang on , no; I meant Nicky Butt.

Unread 22-08-2010, 06:38 AM
croberts

Quote:

Please inform us mere mortals
who merely attend matches whom you decree to be better than Zidane

Unread 22-08-2010, 07:07 AM
borsuk

Quote:

you feeling all right?

Unread 22-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamb123
don't see where zidane would have fitted into our team
I'm glad we didn't sign him, I would have much rather have given Ronnie Wallwork a chance.

Unread 22-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem
i'd love to meet zidane and crack on i didn't know who he was.

'what's your name? Zidane? Oh, that has a nice RING to it'

A HAH AHAH AA.

Hang on , no; I meant Nicky Butt.
Many moons ago our kid worked at Ian Skelly VW dealership in Mcr. One day a lad comes in to trade in his 325i Cab for an Audi.
"Nice car, you must have a good job, what do you do?" he asks.
"I'm a professional footballer"
"Oh right, who do yo play for?"
"United"
"What's your name?"
"Ryan Giggs"
"Never heard of you"

Our kids a blue.

Anyway when I found that article last night I started wondering if Scholes had died. I've never seen so many people compliment someone who was still alive.

Unread 22-08-2010, 04:54 PM
dunk

Funny, it's one of my biggest regrets too.

Unread 22-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Funny, it's one of my biggest regrets too.
You wanted Scholes to sign for Juve?

Unread 22-08-2010, 05:10 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
You wanted Scholes to sign for Juve?
Or Madrid....

Unread 22-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Or Madrid....
im old school
Closed Thread