United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-11-2017, 10:22 AM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I seem to recall his dad on the early bit of the Treble DVD saying he turned United down because Arsenal were goong to dominate. Oops
£#%&! him. Murdering @#%&! (might have been manslaughter tbf)

Unread 27-11-2017, 10:29 AM
andyroo

Quote:
I seem to recall his dad on the early bit of the Treble DVD saying he turned United down because Arsenal were goong to dominate. Oops

Sadly he actually says something like "there was only one team for me and that was Arsenal", which I think meant they were the only team that he actually spoke to, rather than the only one he wanted to sign for.

Unread 27-11-2017, 12:15 PM
windy waffles

ALEX FERGUSON yesterday made public his disgust that Patrick Kluivert has turned down a move to Manchester United and insisted that he still intends to sign Dwight Yorke from Aston Villa.

The Old Trafford manager said he had been led to believe that Kluivert wanted to join United - for pounds 9m from Milan - but that the player had now committed himself to another 12 months in Serie A in Italy.

"It won't be the last time this kind of thing happens but players we really want we usually get," Ferguson said. "We were led to believe he wanted to speak to us, but you know what agents are like. Maybe he doesn't know how big a club Manchester United is."

It is the second time that Kluivert has talked himself out of a move to England. The 22-year-old Dutch striker's excessive wage demands cooled recent interest from Arsenal, although it now seems, if he did choose to move to the Premiership in the future, he would prefer London to Manchester.

"I'm surprised he didn't give himself the opportunity to speak to us and now we hear he wants to go to London," Ferguson said. "If that is where he wants to live, there is nothing we can do about it."

Unread 27-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo

Sadly he actually says something like "there was only one team for me and that was Arsenal", which I think meant they were the only team that he actually spoke to, rather than the only one he wanted to sign for.
Prefer my made-up version tbh

Unread 27-11-2017, 12:57 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Prefer my made-up version tbh
So do I

Unread 27-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Paul Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo

I can vaguely remember him saying there's only one team in England and that's Arsenal, seem to recall he'd spoken to Overmars or something. He then got "kluivert kluivert what's the score" sang at him when he was sat in the stand during the game against Barca at OT.

Unread 27-11-2017, 05:45 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smith
I can vaguely remember him saying there's only one team in England and that's Arsenal, seem to recall he'd spoken to Overmars or something. He then got "kluivert kluivert what's the score" sang at him when he was sat in the stand during the game against Barca at OT.
He did well to contact an unbiased and objective observer of the English football scene, nqat.

Unread 28-11-2017, 12:06 AM
tatty

I was gutted we missed out on him and signed Yorke instead.

Unread 28-11-2017, 06:53 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
You're missing the point here. Yorke was always coming regardless. The real butterfly effect is it meant we kept Andy Cole (who wasn't in Fergie's plans) and done ok himself that season...

Unread 29-11-2017, 03:48 PM
LFOD

I think Pat and Ruud were born on the same day.

Unread 29-11-2017, 04:49 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFOD
I think Pat and Ruud were born on the same day.
Indeed so it appears, I had presumed Kluivert Snr was a bit older.

Unread 29-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smith
Was at a Q&A with Martin Edwards last night before the game, and someone asked about Kluivert. Gave it very short thrift, it appears both he and fergie seemed to think big Pat was a bit of a @#%&!. As per fergal's quotes.

Unread 29-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Was at a Q&Q with Martin Edwards last night before the game, and someone asked about Kluivert. Gave it very short thrift, it appears both he and fergie seemed to think big Pat was a bit of a @#%&!. But we were definitely in for him prior to that astonishing revelation.
Surprised he answered.

Unread 29-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Surprised he answered.
lolz give you that one. He was like a politician to be fair, answering a question with a question. Obviously the PLC was in the best interests of the club etc.

Unread 29-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Was born the same day as Ruud too which would have saved in Birthdays. Mad theyre the same age cos in my head they feel like they’re from different generations.

Unread 29-11-2017, 05:32 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Was at a Q&A with Martin Edwards last night before the game, and someone asked about Kluivert. Gave it very short thrift, it appears both he and fergie seemed to think big Pat was a bit of a @#%&!. As per fergal's quotes.
Should have asked him why he vetoed the Batigol transfer

The #@&%!!

(I know it was because of 'wage structure', but still...)

Unread 29-11-2017, 06:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Was born the same day as Ruud too which would have saved in Birthdays. Mad theyre the same age cos in my head they feel like they’re from different generations.
Yeah, Ruud a late bloomer in comparison. Was playing Dutch second division when Kluivert was the national prodigy.

Kluivert would probably have been brilliant for United. No surprise Fergie was fuming. Worked out alright though.
Closed Thread