No. Just a difficult season. 9 13.64%
Wait and see. 13 19.70%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 19-07-2020, 10:55 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPolk
I was so gutted when that transfer did fall through as I knew this would cost united more in the longrun turns out I was absalute correct
Hi Louis.

Unread 19-07-2020, 10:55 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
It's been two years mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
You have a very different idea of what constitutes a “knee jerk” reaction than I do.
It was a dreadful attempt to bring a touch of humour.

If there had been an option to fire him in to the sun i'd have hit that.

Unread 19-07-2020, 11:14 PM
JamesPolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
It was a dreadful attempt to bring a touch of humour.

If there had been an option to fire him in to the sun i'd have hit that.
The club could always cancell his contract if they want but that would cost Glazernomics to much.

Unread 19-07-2020, 11:20 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Nah, that's exaggerating things considerably. At times he has been one of the few players barely keeping us afloat.

But this is a crisis point, nqat.

Unread 19-07-2020, 11:25 PM
Buck

Career going down the Casillas route. Such a sudden downward spiral.

Unread 19-07-2020, 11:35 PM
JamesPolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Nah, that's exaggerating things considerably. At times he has been one of the few players barely keeping us afloat.

Exaggerated? I have felt it has gone one for much longer but from that 3-3 match at World Cup it has been surfing more and be more glaring and obvious for everyone that wants to see.

Maybe Ronaldo wants point United towards a new keeper. after all he pointed United towards Bruno.

Unread 20-07-2020, 12:35 AM
Stickman

I can't believe how bad his shot stopping has become.

That's the non negotiable and a total reach to attribute the downturn to coaching. He's been like a Spanish Loris Karius in 2020.

Unread 20-07-2020, 01:00 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPolk
Exaggerated? I have felt it has gone one for much longer but from that 3-3 match at World Cup it has been surfing more and be more glaring and obvious for everyone that wants to see.

Maybe Ronaldo wants point United towards a new keeper. after all he pointed United towards Bruno.
Are you for real?

Unread 20-07-2020, 01:13 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Career going down the Casillas route. Such a sudden downward spiral.
Was thinking similar, but then van der sar had an up and down career.

It’s like he’s lost his marbles the way he’s performing.

Unread 20-07-2020, 02:37 AM
jesper

He's never been a great all round 'keeper, he just had brilliant reflexes. Now that's gone there's no part of his game that's good...

Dealing with crosses/corners - nope
Kicking - weak and inaccurate
Throwing - average at best
Organising the defence - absolute wallflower
Penalties - probably the worst I've ever seen, appears to try and get out of the way of them

There's zero risk in putting Henderson in next season instead, if Ole doesn't fancy that we should go all out for Nick Pope. Just hope PSG haven't been paying attention and will take him off us, he's certainly finished here.

Unread 20-07-2020, 03:07 AM
MrBishi

Cheeky bid for that Dean Henderson

Unread 20-07-2020, 06:26 AM
believe

His head seems to be completely gone but I'd still be more confident going in to the next two games with him in net rather than Romero ffs

Unread 20-07-2020, 07:07 AM
Lodestar

After yesterday it is time for a change but he should play the remaining two games in the league. Put out the signal we're open to offers..

Second one was painful to watch. You can't switch off mentally to that degree.

Unread 20-07-2020, 07:25 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria

Not really. Ok, 18 months, at best. This 'form' was happening in the middle part of last season.

He hasn't been keeping us afloat for a good while now.

And I'm sorry, but making a couple of decent saves when you've already thrown two in doesn't mean anything.

It's the nature of being a keeper. They can't really make up for a mistake in the same way a striker can.

He's conceded 8 goals since we got back. 5 of them were directly his fault

Spurs
Bournemouth 1st
All three yesterday

You could also portion blame to him for the Southampton second goal too.

He's cost us at least 2 points and completely killed us yesterday, despite how poor we were.

Add this to Everton away, Watford away and I'm sure there are others.

He's averaging a major f*** up pretty much every other game since we got back

This isn't bad form. This is the norm for him now. He's making these errors on a regular basis and any keeper who didnt have his reputation, would have been binned off long ago.

Good keepers have failed here. Barthez, Bosnich, Howard all had spells that were nowhere near as protracted as this and it cost them their United career.

I said it yesterday, but I can't think of an example of a keeper who has come through such a long spell of poor performances and it's turned out rosey at the same club.

We have a goal keeping problem now. We've seen in recent years what that has done to likes of City and Liverpool with the likes of Bravo and Karius, and the subsequent improvement in replacing them.

De Gea has more pedigree, sure, but honestly....does it matter what he's done? It only matters what we think he will be. And I have no faith at all that he will turn this around. It's been too long and I don't think he has the personality for it.

And this is before we even get into his other shortcomings... distribution, sticking to his line.

I think a move is best for everyone. We've got years out of him and he deserves to be remembered more fondly than this.

The club wont sell him though. It would be too big a climbdown after handing him a bumper deal and fending off Madrid for so long.

And if we stick with him, then every f*** up he makes is on us.

Unread 20-07-2020, 07:41 AM
Patty_b

His shot stopping ability was enough for people to forgive his other limitations as a goalkeeper in previous years. But it's ridiculous how many goals he's costing us now.

It's also going to have a knock-on effect to the rest of teams. It's going to play in their mind that even the shittest shot at goal could go straight through De Gea and cost us a goal.

The problem we have now is that we really haven't got enough games left in the season to see if he can play his way out of it. Either try our best to shift him in the summer, or see if he can turn things round next season first.

I'd go for option A, nqat.

Unread 20-07-2020, 07:45 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
His shot stopping ability was enough for people to forgive his other limitations as a goalkeeper in previous years. But it's ridiculous how many goals he's costing us now.

It's also going to have a knock-on effect to the rest of teams. It's going to play in their mind that even the shittest shot at goal could go straight through De Gea and cost us a goal.

The problem we have now is that we really haven't got enough games left in the season to see if he can play his way out of it. Either try our best to shift him in the summer, or see if he can turn things round next season first.

I'd go for option A, nqat.
Yep. We've actually been quite fortunate that it hasn't yet spread through the team. Despite all our gripes with pretty much our entire back five, collectively, they're ok... but a keepers errors stand out and you can count up the points from them.

I'd drop him. Romero is limited, but steady enough and experienced enough. More importantly, he's no more a risk than De Gea right now.

The biggest gamble we can take right now is to stick with him.

Unread 20-07-2020, 08:07 AM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
You told me it was 18months on the other thread

Thing is he has always relied heavily on reflexes, never commanded his area or come off his line to close angles, the problem is his reactions are no longer as quick as they were 3/4 seasons ago and it only takes a milli second longer to react and it’s a goal.

Couple that with him having no confidence in his defence and them having no confidence in him and the fact we cannot play out from the back so it’s more pressure and less confidence.

They will give him another season for sure but his errors are here to stay just have to hope they are not at important times

Unread 20-07-2020, 08:16 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stella Fella
You told me it was 18months on the other thread

Thing is he has always relied heavily on reflexes, never commanded his area or come off his line to close angles, the problem is his reactions are no longer as quick as they were 3/4 seasons ago and it only takes a milli second longer to react and it’s a goal.

Couple that with him having no confidence in his defence and them having no confidence in him and the fact we cannot play out from the back so it’s more pressure and less confidence.

They will give him another season for sure but his errors are here to stay just have to hope they are not at important times
18 months... 2 years... point is, it ain't just some patch of form.

His reactions are strange. He is still good at pulling off bigger saves. When he's actually stretched, he's fine. It's when things are closer to him that he struggles. He seems to set himself wrong. He never seems sure whether to go with his feet or his hands and he keeps getting his angles wrong. His positioning for the 3rd was awful yesterday. And against Bournemouth for their first.

As you say, I think they'll stick with him.... but I'm not sure on this notion that we'll just have to live with his errors. You can't have that in a keeper. Not at a top club with ambitions of winning things.

Unread 20-07-2020, 09:39 AM
ScholesGingerSheen

Blaming him for the first Yesterday is very harsh, he's got a hand to a shot close to his feet and it's bounced on to his foot and in, it could happen to anyone, not every goal is a goalkeeping error, blaming him for the third is utter horse shit, when you're own player deflects the ball straight at goal from 3 yards there's a decent chance it's going in, no matter who you have in net..

Every armchair supporter and pundit becomes Gordon Banks when they're talking on goalkeeping errors, 'ooh his positioning', the myth that being beaten near post is always the keepers fault. Jermaine Jenas sagely discussing how keepers should've definitely done better when he could barely play midfield.

Not arguing De Gea shouldn't be dropped, because his confidence is shot if nothing else, but we will still concede soft goals with Henderson or whatever £70million keeper you put in there if our defence plays like it did Yesterday.

Unread 20-07-2020, 10:30 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
Blaming him for the first Yesterday is very harsh, he's got a hand to a shot close to his feet and it's bounced on to his foot and in, it could happen to anyone, not every goal is a goalkeeping error, blaming him for the third is utter horse shit, when you're own player deflects the ball straight at goal from 3 yards there's a decent chance it's going in, no matter who you have in net..

Every armchair supporter and pundit becomes Gordon Banks when they're talking on goalkeeping errors, 'ooh his positioning', the myth that being beaten near post is always the keepers fault. Jermaine Jenas sagely discussing how keepers should've definitely done better when he could barely play midfield.

Not arguing De Gea shouldn't be dropped, because his confidence is shot if nothing else, but we will still concede soft goals with Henderson or whatever £70million keeper you put in there if our defence plays like it did Yesterday.
So just don’t talk about it then?
Closed Thread