United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-10-2022, 02:14 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
On the plus side, arsenalfantv will probably be a great watch around December/January. It’s been dull for a couple years now with them being unable to get giddy.
The meltdown after we beat them was vintage

Unread 01-10-2022, 02:18 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I reckon they’ll be pretty happy all season tbh. They aren’t challenging for the title, but look best equipped to offer the consistency required to get top 4, or even 3. Assuming the dippers eventually get back on the gear.

United, Spurs and Chelsea all further behind in evolution and have far more glaring issues in line ups and squad.
We know they’re not challenging, but I guarantee they think are right now. Like rooers said, they couldn’t hack losing to us in a one off game. They’ll be getting giddy as today, you’ll have Robbie and co. Sitting back all smug providing the quotes we’ll be reminding them about in a few months time.

Unread 01-10-2022, 02:21 PM
andyroo

Spurs fans borrowing the chair suits from their neighbours

Unread 01-10-2022, 02:21 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
We know they’re not challenging, but I guarantee they think are right now. Like rooers said, they couldn’t hack losing to us in a one off game. They’ll be getting giddy as today, you’ll have Robbie and co. Sitting back all smug providing the quotes we’ll be reminding them about in a few months time.
Everything will sort itself out after the world cup. The season is effectively in two parts. City will canter away with it like they always do and Liverpool will have a late season 'revival' after they come back from Qatar and get back on the gear.

Unread 01-10-2022, 02:23 PM
dunk

We’ve just not got the legs or the goal threat, deffo looking like another 5th or 6th place finish for us imo.

Unread 01-10-2022, 02:24 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
We’ve just not got the legs or the goal threat, deffo looking like another 5th or 6th place finish for us imo.
We beat them 3-1 less than a month ago. Not saying we’re challenging, but we’ve shown we are more than capable.

Unread 01-10-2022, 02:46 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Nah, reckon utd will be in amongst it, nowhere near ciddy but there ain't a lot there outside of them. Runners up maybe, but deffo top four.

Unread 01-10-2022, 03:39 PM
dunk

Quote:
We beat them 3-1 less than a month ago. Not saying we’re challenging, but we’ve shown we are more than capable.
In a one off game, we can give anyone a go to some degree, we just haven’t got the consistency and aren’t likely to have it with such unreliable forward options, imo.

Unread 01-10-2022, 03:45 PM
Dr Stranger

Any weaknesses we’re seeing in Arsenal, spurs and Chelsea, I’m sure they’re thinking the same about us.

Arsenal seem markedly improved. Jesus has given them another dimension and the likes of Odegaard and Martinelli have really kicked on. They’ll drop daft points because they’re flawed and painfully naive. They won’t be near the title, but with the money they’ve spent and how long Arteta has had his feet under the table - they SHOULD be showing the development they have.

Spurs are still Spurs. Big question marks over Chelsea with sacking Tuchel and this mental new owner. I expect us to be in and around them and that’ll do for now. We need a much bigger sample size of four wins to be making any Billy big %@#$&!s shouts about finishing top 3 or 4.

Just keep improving.

Unread 01-10-2022, 03:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Any weaknesses we’re seeing in Arsenal, spurs and Chelsea, I’m sure they’re thinking the same about us.

Arsenal seem markedly improved. Jesus has given them another dimension and the likes of Odegaard and Martinelli have really kicked on. They’ll drop daft points because they’re flawed and painfully naive. They won’t be near the title, but with the money they’ve spent and how long Arteta has had his feet under the table - they SHOULD be showing the development they have.

Spurs are still Spurs. Big question marks over Chelsea with sacking Tuchel and this mental new owner. I expect us to be in and around them and that’ll do for now. We need a much bigger sample size of four wins to be making any Billy big %@#$&!s shouts about finishing top 3 or 4.

Just keep improving.
There's weaknesses in every team in the top 5. Unfortunately none of them are going to reward us with an 18 month period of complete and utter collapse like you've had with United. You'll get a blip here and there, maybe even City will drop some silly points, but no other team in that top 5 are going to turn in the type of consistently putrid, spiritless and clueless performances we saw in the last days of Ole and under Ragnick.

If at any stage of the season we have to rely on Maguire and Lindelof at the back again, the wheels will again come off.

Unread 01-10-2022, 04:00 PM
shenwen

sample sizes. no consistency, despite having won four in a row in the league, including arsenal and Liverpool

I mean I get it, let's not get carried away but...

...top 2 nailed

Unread 01-10-2022, 04:08 PM
dunk

Scrappy and scrawpy 1-0 wins at an utterly bereft Leicester and Southampton hardly fill me with confidence, a slight improvement and something to build on though.

Reliance on… actually I’ve no idea who will score double figures for us this season, if anyone.

Unread 01-10-2022, 04:09 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
sample sizes. no consistency, despite having won four in a row in the league, including arsenal and Liverpool

I mean I get it, let's not get carried away but...

...top 2 nailed

Well, yes. Four games. That’s what a small sample size means, you £#%&!ing dope.

Quote:
Scrappy and scrawpy 1-0 wins at an utterly bereft Leicester and Southampton hardly fill me with confidence, a slight improvement and something to build on though.

Reliance on… actually I’ve no idea who will score double figures for us this season, if anyone.
Exactly. Delighted with the progress we’ve shown, but it’s very early days. ETH has said so himself too.

Confident a couple will hit double figures. Rashford, Bruno and Sancho are easily capable of it.

Unread 01-10-2022, 04:12 PM
dunk

Capable, but will they be on the pitch enough?

Bruno should manage it, back on pens with Grandad on the bench.

Unread 01-10-2022, 04:12 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Well, yes. Four games. That’s what a small sample size means, you £#%&!ing dope.

and don't all teams have the same parameters, against which we're doing not too badly?

and anyway when did sample sizes become a thing?

Unread 01-10-2022, 04:39 PM
Ethers

Quote:

Scrappy, scraped wins haven’t exactly been in abundance over the past 18 months tbf. I’d say coupled with 2 deserved victories over top 4 sides, they’re definitely something to be positive about.

City won the league last season with a midfielder as their top scorer. The fact we might not have a striker who’s going to get 25+ goals is neither here nor there. There’s goals all over the pitch in this side, and we’ll see that when we really click

Unread 01-10-2022, 06:17 PM
dunk

Varane - 1 PL goal
Maguire - hopefully won’t ever play
Lindelof - got about 3 hasn’t he?
Martinez - 0
Shaw - got about 3 ever
Malacia -0
Dalot - 0
AWB - 2
Casemiro - 0 bagged 2 or 3 a season in Madrid in the league usually.
Eriksen - non for United but a 4-5 goal a season man for spurs in the PL.
Bruno - our best hope for consistent goals atm.
Fred - 2-3 a season, maybe?
McT - might get 5
Beek -
Sancho - 6 or 7 so far?
Rashford - started well, I £#%&!ing hope he’s on the way back to 20 a season form
Martial - not scored in the league since 2020? Can’t get the £#%&!er on the pitch.
Antony - 1 so far, unknown quantity
Elanga - 2 league goals ever so far
Ronaldo - who the £#%&! knows. Might bag 30, might never score again unno.
Garnacho - 0

So, as I say, whether it’s one player scoring shit loads or a lot chipping in with double figures, you couldn’t point to any of them and say that’s where the goals are coming from.

Unread 01-10-2022, 06:22 PM
Ethers

Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Martial and Ronnie will all get near or beat 10 goals this season. Eriksen will chip in with 4 or 5. Elanga will somehow score a few. Add in a few from midfield and unknown quantities and I think we’ll be fine.

Unread 01-10-2022, 06:23 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Martial and Ronnie will all get near or beat 10 goals this season. Eriksen will chip in with 4 or 5. Elanga will somehow score a few. Add in a few from midfield and unknown quantities and I think we’ll be fine.
I hope you’re right pal.

Unread 01-10-2022, 10:31 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
and don't all teams have the same parameters, against which we're doing not too badly?

and anyway when did sample sizes become a thing?
No, because the teams we’re up against don’t have as much to prove, as they all finished comfortably above us last season.

They become a thing if people start suggesting we will finish top 3 based off 4 good results.
Closed Thread