United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 03-10-2022, 11:53 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
Don't you think Fred gives more defensive cover than Eriksen?
leaving aside my comment above about simply swapping one player for another (50/50 on whether you are being #@&%!ed or deliberately annoying)....

I wanted us to play mct, cassie and fred. all of them. with either eriksen or bruno ahead of them and two quick split strikers. the team is unbalanced and eriksen is never a defensive midfielder.

if you simply swap mct and eriksen for cassie and fred, you are still not stopping city's midfield.

Unread 03-10-2022, 12:00 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Come on believe, you can't honestly believe The Scottish Player is a better option than Casameiro ffs.
No I don’t. I don’t also know that if this week Casemiro is a better option than The Scottish Player because I haven’t seen him play for us yet and our manager, who is meant to be the best in the business doesn’t think he is.

Unread 03-10-2022, 12:02 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
leaving aside my comment above about simply swapping one player for another (50/50 on whether you are being #@&%!ed or deliberately annoying)....

I wanted us to play mct, cassie and fred. all of them. with either eriksen or bruno ahead of them and two quick split strikers. the team is unbalanced and eriksen is never a defensive midfielder.

if you simply swap mct and eriksen for cassie and fred, you are still not stopping city's midfield.
Casemiro + Fred for McT + Eriksen/Bruno is not "swapping one player for another"? But maybe I'm just #@&%!ed as you say and struggle with the numbers.

Yes, you've said you wanted to play a diamond formation before (I'm presuming that's how the formation translates), but it does not address that i) there is then even less protection for the wing backs (and several of City's goals came down the wing) and ii) City at their weakest are most susceptible down the wings (St Maximin, Bailey, Eze etc doing jobs against them of late). They are a hard side to play against at the best of times clearly, but the common denominator for sides that do well is having legs in midfield and the pace to break out wide when they are dispossessed. They are easier to counter on with Haaland in their team.

Agreed that Eriksen is clearly not a conventional central midfielder .. may get away with a Bruno/Eriksen pairing away against bottom-of-the-table rabble like Leicester/Southampton/Wolves but will be found out quickly otherwise .. needs to be 1 or the other.

Unread 03-10-2022, 02:02 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Real Madrid are the most effective selling club in the world. They consistently move on players at the right time, and usually for big money, then re-invest the cash into an immediate upgrade. They made a profit on Ronaldo, ffs.

Can't think of many players at all who they've sold that went on to prove them wrong for selling them. Casemiro could be another long line of players that they get the best from, then dump onto some mug.

Varane and Di Maria are two others, FWIW.
This. Giving them loads for a player they think has peaked and past his best is barmy players, with the odd exception, are peaking earlier these days due to the athelicism of the game and yet utd still keep buying these older guys

You could pick up a handful of decent prospects with that kind of money and 1 or 2 might turn out to be something. Same old shuffle of a type of buy.

Unread 03-10-2022, 02:20 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Doesn’t matter if you can’t move: and can he pass? He can knock it sideways to Kroos or Modric, but can he be the main man?

As I say, early days but when he has played he’s not looked great, hopefully just because he’s not up to speed yet.
That Scottish @#%&! has never been up to speed.

Unread 03-10-2022, 02:25 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
This. Giving them loads for a player they think has peaked and past his best is barmy players, with the odd exception, are peaking earlier these days due to the athelicism of the game and yet utd still keep buying these older guys

You could pick up a handful of decent prospects with that kind of money and 1 or 2 might turn out to be something. Same old shuffle of a type of buy.
Yep. Not the United model though, apparently. They don’t want to be buying up and coming stars, they want established players, or have done up until recently (Malacia and Antony). Which is ludicrous.

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:03 AM
Dr Stranger

Dusted off the rust now. Looking good.

Loved his celebration for Bruno’s goal

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:04 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

someone that can break up play and then give a quality pass.

is it, could it be, an actual midfielder!!

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:05 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Based on what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
No I don’t. I don’t also know that if this week Casemiro is a better option than The Scottish Player because I haven’t seen him play for us yet and our manager, who is meant to be the best in the business doesn’t think he is.
Parters could have a field day with this

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:12 AM
windy waffles

Questioning if The Big Dog is a better player then McTomimeh.

Christ.

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:18 AM
Joe Biden

Rolls Royce.

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:28 AM
Mr_Ed

Big, big upgrade in midfield. Shaking off the cobwebs and adding value.

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:30 AM
Jethro

The confidence in the back four because of his presence brings a tear to my eye. My god can he pick a pass too.

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:37 AM
Patty_b

Immense. Was world class with a performance that could easily go unrecognised. Just seemed to pop up everywhere at just the right time. Got a yellow card (which should have been Fred's after seeing the replay) and still wasn't scared to stick his foot in to win the ball.

Took a few games for him to get up to speed, but my god has he got up to speed.

Watching him come off was wonderful as well. On that note, every other broadcaster should take a note from Amazons book and give the option for no commentary.

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:44 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Immense. Was world class with a performance that could easily go unrecognised. Just seemed to pop up everywhere at just the right time. Got a yellow card (which should have been Fred's after seeing the replay) and still wasn't scared to stick his foot in to win the ball.

Took a few games for him to get up to speed, but my god has he got up to speed.

Watching him come off was wonderful as well. On that note, every other broadcaster should take a note from Amazons book and give the option for no commentary.
Dare I say it, Shearer wasn't that bad

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:45 AM
puressence

hes has that snide about him . which city and pep have mastered . breaks up play fouls smiles looks innocent yet you know hes a dirty hard player .

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:45 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I don’t mind Shearer at all tbh.

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:47 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
He came across as a fan at points seemed genuinely chuffed we were playing well

My Name is Heath

Quote:
He was really good heh? Self effacing when talking about songs United sang about him. Spotted early on how good Dalot was etc.

Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
He came across as a fan at points seemed genuinely chuffed we were playing well
Cheeky bid?…