United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 06-10-2015, 04:07 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
It is to an extent. You only have to look at the same fixture last season, Arsenal could have been 3 or 4 up at HT, missed their chances, Utd go on and it ends up as a fairly comfortable away win in the end, setting up a good run of results.
We missed a couple of chances in the first half as well. Mainly due to Di Maria (sob sob poor Di Maria) who was about to have his house robbed so couldn't be expected to perform. The poor lad.

Unread 06-10-2015, 04:20 PM
utd99

Quote:
It is to an extent. You only have to look at the same fixture last season, Arsenal could have been 3 or 4 up at HT, missed their chances, Utd go on and it ends up as a fairly comfortable away win in the end, setting up a good run of results.

Arsenal have enough attacking talent to severely punish any team if they are off their game. I would question the lack of reaction to what was happening, even at 2-0 down the same midfield problems were visible.
Arsenal often start that way at home, same as City at the Etihad. If you can weather their early energy you have a very good chance of getting a result there. We made mistakes for sure, but usually those types of mistakes are not punished as badly as that. They were very clinical.

That said, I'm still not entirely sure why we think knocking the ball backwards to retain possession is safe; It's not. In fact, it may well be the most dangerous way you can play. If you are going to lose possession lose it higher up the field with more of their team back defending. Make them build, don't let them break.

Unread 06-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

Arsenal have enough attacking talent to severely punish any team if they are off their game. I would question the lack of reaction to what was happening, even at 2-0 down the same midfield problems were visible.
The biggest difference on the pitch was Alexis. He's a fabulous player and he's bang in form. That first goal he scored was all down to his desire to get infront of Darmian, his 2nd was just world class.

Unread 06-10-2015, 04:23 PM
silv

Quote:

one thing i did think. LVG seemed not to be scared to make instant or decisive subs if they were needed.

We needed more legs in midfield and would've thought he might have addressed it.Though it may have been seen as a defensive mood and at 3-0 down...

Unread 06-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
That said, I'm still not entirely sure why we think knocking the ball backwards to retain possession is safe; It's not. In fact, it may well be the most dangerous way you can play. If you are going to lose possession lose it higher up the field with more of their team back defending. Make them build, don't let them break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
one thing i did think. LVG seemed not to be scared to make instant or decisive subs if they were needed.

We needed more legs in midfield and would've thought he might have addressed it.Though it may have been seen as a defensive mood and at 3-0 down...
Lvg does not seem to like to change the plan he has been working on all week, he is all about the structure and his belief in it. Plenty of times Fergie would have ripped up his plans after 5 mins and adapted if he did not like what he was seeing, that is in tune with his more freewheeling approach.

15 mins of going long to Martial against Metersacker to draw the sting from Arsenal, knowing they like to start fast and tend to be nervous if it does not succeed, not how he perhaps wants the team to play when he is all about establishing control but sometimes neccessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The biggest difference on the pitch was Alexis. He's a fabulous player and he's bang in form. That first goal he scored was all down to his desire to get infront of Darmian, his 2nd was just world class.
I actually thought that Di Maria would be the better signing The difference in attitude is embarrassing, Sanchez has such a work ethic, no fear of the physical side of the PL.

Depay could do with looking at Sanchez.

Unread 06-10-2015, 04:56 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Lvg does not seem to like to change the plan he has been working on all week, he is all about the structure and his belief in it. Plenty of times Fergie would have ripped up his plans after 5 mins and adapted if he did not like what he was seeing, that is in tune with his more freewheeling approach.

15 mins of going long to Martial against Metersacker to draw the sting from Arsenal, knowing they like to start fast and tend to be nervous if it does not succeed, not how he perhaps wants the team to play when he is all about establishing control but sometimes neccessary.

I actually thought that Di Maria would be the better signing The difference in attitude is embarrassing, Sanchez has such a work ethic, no fear of the physical side of the PL.

Depay could do with looking at Sanchez.
I think its not that simple tbh. There were lots of concerns/questions about sanchez's attitude at barcelona. Arsenal is just a much better fit for sanchez.

Unread 06-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydimaria
I think its not that simple tbh. There were lots of concerns/questions about sanchez's attitude at barcelona. Arsenal is just a much better fit for sanchez.
Maybe, out of the shadow of Messi who by all reports is @#%&!tish in his treatment of some of his teammates. Perhaps happier being the big fish.

I still think Di Maria is a superb player but the only one to blame for his failure at Utd is himself, Utd deserve a lot more than the effort and application he showed.

Unread 06-10-2015, 05:22 PM
utd99

Quote:
Maybe, out of the shadow of Messi who by all reports is @#%&!tish in his treatment of some of his teammates. Perhaps happier being the big fish.

I still think Di Maria is a superb player but the only one to blame for his failure at Utd is himself, Utd deserve a lot more than the effort and application he showed.
They are fragile little primadonna's who have no idea what should or shouldn't make them happy.

Unread 06-10-2015, 05:23 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:

You could say the same about LVG and di maria too. For whatever reasons they just couldn't get on together. I am sure di maria isn't the the first player to fall out with LVG (whether its due to players ego/shortfalls or not etc).

Di Maria has himself to blame for his united career but I guess in hindsight united should have been more careful knowing how reluctant he was to come here.

But all in all it was a sad mess tbh. I think with him in the form he was for madrid, we would have been in much better shape. Lot of our problems are because we are so static.

Unread 06-10-2015, 05:49 PM
red in cumbria

Players have come here in the past despite not busting a gut beforehand to do so, and done OK.

I expect Navas would have had a pretty decent time here had the move ever happened, for instance.

Nope, this is down to the individual concerned.

Unread 06-10-2015, 05:54 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
OFFICIAL thread.

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=30

They've hit the Jackpot
TBR doing a watcher on the watcher. This place is officially out of control.

Unread 06-10-2015, 09:30 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Got a very bad feeling about this

3-0 or 4-1 loss

Chest monster on for the last 20 minutes

Season over
Im not gonna read through the whole thread to see if it's been mentioned already but if TBR had saged this he'd mention it in every post. Are you mystic peg(seller)?

Unread 11-10-2015, 03:46 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs grimson
youtube.com/watch?v=dBZFFZcfcbc

Couple of bad results and you'll be calling for Wengers head again. That's the Arsenal cycle these days isn't it; two games in, two games out?

Unread 11-10-2015, 01:43 PM
red in cumbria

So we've had the wives of jem, Grimson and Watcher on here recently. When will the peg seller make another appearance?