United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:27 PM
armchair

Default The Scottish Player

Worst player on the pitch again today. Lucky to not be sent off.

What exactly does he offer? He's hiding most of the time and he does £#%&! all tracking back.

Fred, an extremely limited player, is ten times braver.

I couldn't think of a club that'd want him. Maybe the SPL or mad mou at roma or a championship side when he's out of contract.

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:28 PM
AK14

Had a shocker today and has been poor for a while.

Useful squad player but shouldn’t be starting week in and week out.

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:29 PM
Jethro

Stuck up for him over a few seasons but he's completely indefensible now. I'd rather he be played as an auxiliary forward or centerback. Anything to keep him away from midfield. He offered absolutely nothing.

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:29 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Cant get in to midfield ahead of McGinn, who Villa fans now hate, for Scotland. Says it all.

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:30 PM
20LEgend1999

It's odd that managers seem to see something in him that nobody else can. I know we don't have a great deal of options, but he's been a mainstay for a number of years. Wouldn't bother me if he was 4th choice, outrageous we're starting the season with him in the manager's preferred XI.

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:34 PM
Neo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
It's odd that managers seem to see something in him that nobody else can. I know we don't have a great deal of options, but he's been a mainstay for a number of years. Wouldn't bother me if he was 4th choice, outrageous we're starting the season with him in the manager's preferred XI.
He's like the guy in the office who constantly agrees with the manager, and is the master at saying all the right things. A corporate cheerleader, always first in, a nodding dog, consistently sides with his boss over colleagues, probably leaves an apple on Ten Hag's desk in the morning.

A passion merchant, but when you analyse performance its utterly mediocre.

Bin.

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:34 PM
ZiggyStardust

Normally the phrase “second touch a tackle” for a player is an exaggeration but with The Scottish Player it’s actually the truth

He’s the unusual type of midfielder who doesn’t show for the ball and struggles to make over 20 passes a game

Back in Utd’s heyday under Fergie he would have played a couple of Carling Cup games and then been sold to Sunderland for 8 million quid or something

That period between our 03 and 07 titles was know as the Djemba Djemba years
These last 5 years must be known as the McFred years
Surely it isn’t much longer that we have to endure these f***ers

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:38 PM
armchair

He's tall and runs all game. Did he head the ball today? Did he cover back?

I do not know what kind of player he's supposed to be. He hides when he's supposed to make himself available for passes from the defence. He doesn't break up play. He can't pass. Can't tackle except for fouls.

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:44 PM
NedKelly

Squad player he shouldn’t be near the squad, let alone starting games ffs. Easily the worst midfielder at the club - even if he was on the bench he’s the kind of player that gets brought on to close out a game only to get sent off because that’s all he’s good at; running into opposition players at high speed and making a total tit of himself.

Hides from the ball when we’re in possession, doesn’t know what to do with the ball when he has it, lacks the intelligence and ability to do anything useful whatsoever. The fact that he can’t even get into the Scottish NT says everything. He just breeds panic throughout the rest of the team.

A genuinely bad footballer. I just hope today taught Erik that he has no place as a Manchester United player.

That backheel

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:44 PM
Neo

I don't dislike him, as its not his fault he keeps getting picked in starting XIs, and I personally think he's a good personality to have in the squad.

However, he absolutely should not be consistently starting big games for Manchester United.

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:46 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
He's like the guy in the office who constantly agrees with the manager, and is the master at saying all the right things. A corporate cheerleader, always first in, a nodding dog, consistently sides with his boss over colleagues, probably leaves an apple on Ten Hag's desk in the morning.

A passion merchant, but when you analyse performance its utterly mediocre.

Bin.
If Woodward was a footballer…

Unread 07-08-2022, 06:48 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I don't dislike him, as its not his fault he keeps getting picked in starting XIs, and I personally think he's a good personality to have in the squad.

However, he absolutely should not be consistently starting big games for Manchester United.
Pretty much this.

Squad player that comes in for the odd cup game, europa league home ties etc.

Unread 07-08-2022, 07:13 PM
Neo

Thumbs up

Just wanted to add that as an FYI, Armchair, I appreciated the Blackadder reference with the thread title. It hasn't gone unnoticed, at least not by me.

Unread 07-08-2022, 07:15 PM
armchair

Was more a MacBeth 'the scottish play' reference. Probably the same reference in Blackadder.

Quote:
According to a theatrical superstition, called the Scottish curse, speaking the name Macbeth The Scottish Player inside a theatre, other than as called for in the script while rehearsing or performing, will cause disaster.

Unread 07-08-2022, 07:15 PM
Stickman

always said he was shite.

Unread 07-08-2022, 07:18 PM
Neo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Was more a MacBeth 'the scottish play' reference. Probably the same reference in Blackadder.
It is.

Unread 07-08-2022, 07:23 PM
Sparky***

He tries but he's just nowhere near good enough to be starting in midfield for a premier league club.

He wouldn't get into any midfield of any club in the top half of the division. The reason he's still getting starts is because him and that ridiculous brazilian hobbit are the only two senior central midfielders we have left on the books.

The club have absolute hung the manager out to dry. They've not backed him at all and instead hung all their hopes on him being a miracle worker. Ten Hag is bearing the brunt of the previous managers chucking money at rubbish.

Unread 07-08-2022, 07:26 PM
Selhurst Samurai

It may well have been advantageous if the cart horse had got himself sent off.

At the very least he wouldn’t have been on the pitch to give the ball away for the opening goal by trying to blunder between two opponents.

He’s another people still talk about as though he’s a youngster. He’s £#%&!ing 26 in a few months. Just piss off.

Unread 07-08-2022, 07:38 PM
dinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Just wanted to add that as an FYI, Armchair, I appreciated the Blackadder reference with the thread title. It hasn't gone unnoticed, at least not by me.

Fletcher was called the Scottish Player on the old Red Issue private forum, handily enough when the name stuck he started to come good. I think the name was started by Jem or Redplanet

Unread 07-08-2022, 07:43 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Fletcher was called the Scottish Player on the old Red Issue private forum, handily enough when the name stuck he started to come good. I think the name was started by Jem or Redplanet
Fletch is ten times the player and wasn't even that good. Intelligent player though. Limited but not stupid.

I think he might have been called the scottish player on here at one stage. I know jem absolutely hated fletch. I wasn't on the private ri forum.
Closed Thread