United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Flowers of Manchester

Default Winning the group

will mean avoiding Rome and that shithole of a place for the 4th time in 2 years

cant be mithered with the buses 3hrs prior to KO etc etc that goes with going there.

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Bunker Buster

Its important to win your group.....

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers of Manchester
will mean avoiding Rome and that shithole of a place for the 4th time in 2 years

cant be mithered with the buses 3hrs prior to KO etc etc that goes with going there.
Why? Will winning the group mean we won't get to the final?

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:16 PM
marlo

we have to win our group but then if we do, id hate for us to get drawn against inter.

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
we have to win our group but then if we do, id hate for us to get drawn against inter.
Who would you support?

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Who would you support?

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Flowers of Manchester

means we avoid playing Roma

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
The Watcher

Doesn't it also mean we play the first leg at home? Always preferred it like that. And it means we'll avoid Barca for now!

Knowing our luck, we'll win the group but manage to get drawn against Real Madrid or Inter

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Doesn't it also mean we play the first leg at home? Always preferred it like that. And it means we'll avoid Barca for now!

Knowing our luck, we'll win the group but manage to get drawn against Real Madrid or Inter
2nd place teams play the first leg at home.

Sloppy

Can we draw Chelsea or Arsenal?

Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
not until the quarters.

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Who would you support?

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:26 PM
wonky no

there isn't anyone to fear in europe is there? can't underestimate anyone but we must be the team most feared in europe.

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:26 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
No can't draw domestic opposition in first knock out round.

Why the fear of Madrid, £#%&! me there are tougher ties out there and I would love to see Ronaldo score to knock them out.

They need the money from the champs league to afford him and as things stand in the Spanish league they won't qualify next year....

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:30 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
there isn't anyone to fear in europe is there? can't underestimate anyone but we must be the team most feared in europe.
played celtic twice, aalborg once and villarael.

beaten celtic at home,drawn with villerael
drawn with villarael and celtic away (scoring one goal)

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:30 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
2nd place teams play the first leg at home.
That was a typo. Meant "away". I'm always more confident of getting a result when we play the first leg away. We did every KO last season and look how that turned out

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:33 PM
wonky no

Quote:
played celtic twice, aalborg once and villarael.

beaten celtic at home,drawn with villerael
drawn with villarael and celtic away (scoring one goal)
you think thats our standard? you have some wonderful surprises ahead.

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:35 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
you think thats our standard? you have some wonderful surprises ahead.
if we are judging teams this season in europe we are hardly a force to be reckoned with.

we will improve i reckon.

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:39 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergieslovechild
Why the fear of Madrid, £#%&! me there are tougher ties out there and I would love to see Ronaldo score to knock them out.

They need the money from the champs league to afford him and as things stand in the Spanish league they won't qualify next year....
I'd rather not play one of the big sides in the 2nd KO stage. Qtr/Semi finals when we're hitting our peak is fine. Having said that, I agree with hollowman that we've been very average in Europe so far.

It'll take something special to knock out Barca this year. They'll have La Liga wrapped up by the time the knock out rounds begin and will be in a far better position to rest/prepare players for midweek games then the likes of us, Chelsea, Inter etc who'll all be involved in tight League campaigns.

Unread 09-12-2008, 11:42 PM
wonky no

Quote:
if we are judging teams this season in europe we are hardly a force to be reckoned with.

we will improve i reckon.
one or two injuries, though. i love being underestimated. inter have no legs. barca are a great side but beatable. madrid are shocking, chelsea look very wobbly at home and liverpool are to thin squad wise to sustain a fight on both fronts. the rest are much of a muchness.
Closed Thread