United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-06-2020, 12:55 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Just offering a different take. He isn't shite he is actually still very good and still saves us many times.

People thinking Henderson can come in and comfortable number 1 are deluded. His first mistake and the sharks will be circling.
This.

Unread 26-06-2020, 12:55 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Disagree, he's young and English and everyone loves to say he's better than he is. He was at fault for 2 of the Newcastle goals at the weekend but nobody mentioned it. The Richie one was atrocious. His ceiling is nowhere near the levels DDG has consistently reached for us.

Dave's had a dip, it's Ole's job to get him through it.
I was going off the stats, the stats for keepers show that Henderson has outperformed De Gea in almost every metric this season.

Stats aren't everything obviously, but even just watching games I'd put Henderson in above De Gea without a second thought. De Gea has made some awful mistakes himself this season.

The only reason De Gea is the keeper he is today is because we had faith in him at a young keeper and let him play. Henderson is a better keeper than De Gea was at the same age, get him in and let him play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
People thinking Henderson can come in and comfortable number 1 are deluded. His first mistake and the sharks will be circling.
Same thing happened to De Gea back in the day, imo Henderson looks more mentally strong than De Gea. Can't keep him wrapped up in cotton wool forever.

Unread 26-06-2020, 01:35 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
If we didn't have another realistic alternative then i'd be saying lets suck it up and keep going with DdG.

But we have an excellent replacement who has proven himself in the PL and is knocking on the door for England.
That's not saying much though is it?

How tall is Hendo? That's the deciding factor here. Under 6 foot 4 and it's not looking good imo. He needs to be a giant of a man to succeed.

Checked. 6' 2" 🙈

Unread 26-06-2020, 01:57 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Henderson will never be the keeper DDG is imo. Think how good VDS was in his later years. Ole needs to get DDG back to his best, he's a match winner when on form in the way that very few keepers are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6FjkWQBBg

I would cash in on Henderson or sign him up long term and send him on loan for 5 years.
He likely won't be a better shot stopper, as DDG is probably one of the best I've seen. However, Hendo is ahead of him in other areas.

The best situation for all is that Hendo goes on loan again next year. Once he becomes England #1, which is likely inevitable, we will have a decision that needs making. I think we can only loan him out for another year.

Unread 26-06-2020, 02:00 PM
Dr Stranger

Henderson has performed him, but so have a lot of keepers, because De Gea has has a poor year.

The question isnt if he's better than de Gea on current form, it's will he be as good as de Gea in his prime.

Unread 26-06-2020, 02:05 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Henderson has performed him, but so have a lot of keepers, because De Gea has has a poor year.

The question isnt if he's better than de Gea on current form, it's will he be as good as de Gea in his prime.
The question is whether he will be as good as DDG over the next 5 years.

Unread 26-06-2020, 02:40 PM
windy waffles

Reckon Henderson will be Ben Foster MK II.

Club too big for him.

Basing this on absolutely nothing than my own stupidity.

Unread 26-06-2020, 03:02 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Reckon Henderson will be Ben Foster MK II.

Club too big for him.

Basing this on absolutely nothing than my own stupidity
You don't need this disclaimer. We already know.

Unread 26-06-2020, 03:23 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
The question is whether he will be as good as DDG over the next 5 years.
Which De Gea though, because I think there's a valid concern that he's going backwards.

Unread 26-06-2020, 03:23 PM
Lok

There's no hiding as a goalkeeper at a top club. You either sink or swim.

In other positions you can be dropped for a bit and can work your way back into form. It's hard to think of many goalkeepers who have been dropped and then made it back into the team.

Managers stand by them and continue to play them until they lose faith. As soon as they've lost faith, it's over.

Ole might be the type of manager that will give Henderson a try. But it's a massive risk. You'd have to stand by him for 2 years and it would be a critical 2 years for Ole in his own career. It's hard to imagine he would take such a risk.

Henderson might look great at Sheffield but it's a completely different job to United.

If Ole loses faith in De Gea, you'd imagine he'd try and sign a proven goalkeeper.

Unread 26-06-2020, 03:28 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Which De Gea though, because I think there's a valid concern that he's going backwards.
Yes, but the choice between De Gea and Henderson has nothing to do with DDG's peak. It is about the future.

If neither of them are good enough going forwards, we will need a new goalkeeper.

Unread 26-06-2020, 06:40 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
You don't need this disclaimer. We already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
There's no hiding as a goalkeeper at a top club. You either sink or swim.

In other positions you can be dropped for a bit and can work your way back into form. It's hard to think of many goalkeepers who have been dropped and then made it back into the team.

Managers stand by them and continue to play them until they lose faith. As soon as they've lost faith, it's over.

Ole might be the type of manager that will give Henderson a try. But it's a massive risk. You'd have to stand by him for 2 years and it would be a critical 2 years for Ole in his own career. It's hard to imagine he would take such a risk.

Henderson might look great at Sheffield but it's a completely different job to United.

If Ole loses faith in De Gea, you'd imagine he'd try and sign a proven goalkeeper.
Got one sat on his bench pal...

Unread 27-06-2020, 09:10 PM
rubbernecker

Yup

Unread 27-06-2020, 09:18 PM
utd99

Mindset isn’t a constant though, it can change if doubt creeps in. We need to worry about next season, not the last six. Nothing is written in stone, but DDG needs to snap the £#%&! out of it.

Unread 27-06-2020, 09:38 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Mindset isn’t a constant though, it can change if doubt creeps in. We need to worry about next season, not the last six. Nothing is written in stone, but DDG needs to snap the £#%&! out of it.
Yeh he's had a dip but I have faith that he'll deliver . Don't buy into the whole digging out a player whose form drops a bit , not saying you are either BTW , but I feel that truly great players always come good.He has it in him and now he has to deliver which I believe will

In the meantime I remember those times where he has delivered and back him on that basis rather than be swayed by pundit rating chasing

Unread 27-06-2020, 09:41 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Got one sat on his bench pal...
This aged well

Unread 27-06-2020, 11:17 PM
red in cumbria

Thought for a moment this thread had been bumped because of contract issues, and that might explain his recent dip in form.

Unread 14-07-2020, 09:52 AM
Vedder

I’ve loved him over the years but I’m really beginning to despise this shithouse @#%&!. I hate how much of a fanny he is, him and Lindelof make me sick. Soft @#%&!s

Unread 14-07-2020, 11:07 AM
windy waffles

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
I’ve loved him over the years but I’m really beginning to despise this shithouse @#%&!. I hate how much of a fanny he is, him and Lindelof make me sick. Soft @#%&!s
It's time to pass the baton...

Unread 14-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Dr Stranger

He was never the most vocal, but that isn't offset by a sense of calm with him. Someone like VDS was quiet, but had a composure that permeated.

The better we get, the less he has to do, the more his temperament come into question.

His highlight reel in recent seasons is as good as any keeper we've ever had, but the hallmark of a United keeper is that capacity to pull off saves when you've had nothing to do for most the 90 mins.

He struggled when he first came and he's struggling now. His best spell was when we were at our shittest, when he had more to do.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt last season, but he's been poor again this year. Some of it is individual errors, but more worryingly, the goals last night reflected his flaws as a keeper: poor distribution, questionable judgement and staying routed to his line.

I think the club will stick with him because we've got other areas to sort out and they probably never envisaged being in a situation where we would have to replace him for reasons other than Real Madrid

Did any of us?

But there's only so long a keeper can make basic errors before the cost becomes too much.

We've seen the likes of Barthez suffer that fate, so De Gea isn't beyond it.
Closed Thread