United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-05-2013, 09:30 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
the further down the line you go, the more blurred the past will become and the circumstances surrounding their short term hyper investment tactics.

Chelsea have been benefiting from Roman's billions for 10 years now. Hard to imagine but people in their late teens and early 20s probably won't remember the chelsea that we all grew up with. To them Chelsea are an established 'big' club now, not a pretty small/average sized club that was financially juiced to achieve a standing in the game that it would otherwise have never got anywhere near.

What blows my mind really is that so little is said about it now. That the desire is so great to not 'rock the boat' or damage the premier league's 'global brand' by labeling Chelsea and City's achievements as cheapened. It's virtually never debated on Sky or any major television network, it's all just accepted as 'part of the game' and practically encouraged. Sky absolutely love the fact that these shady foreign types are ploughing money into tin pot clubs like City, it makes for great excitement every transfer window and helps them sell their channel.

The fact of the matter is - if we weren't around then the whole league would be a carve up between city and chelsea every £#%&!ing year. it would be like La liga.
Yep. Fergie's worked bloody wonders tbh. Won the league in 5 of the last 7 years, the other two lost by a point and goal difference in the other two. With what those two plastic shite clubs have spent, that's £#%&!ing outstanding

Unread 16-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Zorg

Quote:
the further down the line you go, the more blurred the past will become and the circumstances surrounding their short term hyper investment tactics.

Chelsea have been benefiting from Roman's billions for 10 years now. Hard to imagine but people in their late teens and early 20s probably won't remember the chelsea that we all grew up with. To them Chelsea are an established 'big' club now, not a pretty small/average sized club that was financially juiced to achieve a standing in the game that it would otherwise have never got anywhere near.

What blows my mind really is that so little is said about it now. That the desire is so great to not 'rock the boat' or damage the premier league's 'global brand' by labeling Chelsea and City's achievements as cheapened. It's virtually never debated on Sky or any major television network, it's all just accepted as 'part of the game' and practically encouraged. Sky absolutely love the fact that these shady foreign types are ploughing money into tin pot clubs like City, it makes for great excitement every transfer window and helps them sell their channel.

The fact of the matter is - if we weren't around then the whole league would be a carve up between city and chelsea every £#%&!ing year. it would be like La liga.
True that. The media have been absolutely delighted to have more 'elite' clubs () to play with and they've grabbed the opportunity with both hands. You expect it from some quarters but what I find bonkers is when people who've been in the game a long time talk about city and Chelsea as if they've always been this 'big'.

Wasn't there someone a few months ago who said 'no disrespect to Ajax, but you want big clubs like city in the champions league'. Yes that's right, Ajax have no European pedigree and man £#%&!ing city are the giants in that scenario

Same with PSG - they're now being systematically described as one of Europe's top clubs, when they're not even the biggest in France ffs. Marseille were always the glamour club and even Lyon have more pedigree than them, but a load of money comes along and suddenly we all have to pretend they're the massivest team ever

Unread 16-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
True that. The media have been absolutely delighted to have more 'elite' clubs () to play with and they've grabbed the opportunity with both hands. You expect it from some quarters but what I find bonkers is when people who've been in the game a long time talk about city and Chelsea as if they've always been this 'big'.

Wasn't there someone a few months ago who said 'no disrespect to Ajax, but you want big clubs like city in the champions league'. Yes that's right, Ajax have no European pedigree and man £#%&!ing city are the giants in that scenario

Same with PSG - they're now being systematically described as one of Europe's top clubs, when they're not even the biggest in France ffs. Marseille were always the glamour club and even Lyon have more pedigree than them, but a load of money comes along and suddenly we all have to pretend they're the massivest team ever

Well it annoys us can you imagine what it's like for teams such as Arsenal, Everton, Spurs and dare i say, Liverpool? Teams who otherwise would be on the cusp of a top 3 or 4 finish every year, run their club properly, live within their means.. but instead now you have these two £#%&!ing abominations who have completely decided to forego the whole tedious "building success over a number of years" process and instead just gone from mediocre plodders to champions league teams overnight. They completely skewed the transfer market just as it was beginning to even out after the mental years in the early 00's. And not only that the pair of them show such a huge degree of arrogance and total disrespect for other teams. Employing the likes of kenyon and gary cook to run their affairs and piss everyone off with their total lack of awareness and tact.

Unread 16-05-2013, 10:20 PM
barca99

Quote:

Sad but true. Teams in years to come with a 'great history' will have all been bought. Youre right about younger people seeing chelsea as a 'big club' 10 years of trophys is enough to see to that. Just very frustrating that united have gone about things as best they can while teams like chelsea swan along with a rich owner and hoover up aload of trophys. Fewer and fewer clubs will be run the 'right way' and those that arnt will most probably get left behind.
Like you say they dont mention the money now, wonder if it will be brought up in the future when talking about chelseas success, i very much doubt it

Unread 16-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Jez Quigley

Default For me

3 English teams are big clubs.

Us, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Spurs just miss out and then I consider Villa, Everton and Newcastle bizarrely enough.

Unread 16-05-2013, 10:34 PM
ziggyman17

will be interesting to see what happens to city and chelsea when the owner dies or gets bored... hopefully both clubs go bang..
I know two brothers both in their 50's and chelsea fans all their lives and they have convinced themselves that they have always been a huge club.. these boys are well into their football but the blindness they show to this is silly.. they always say well utd have been spending millions for years.. not mentioning that utd has no sugar daddy to hoover up all the best players..

Unread 16-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
will be interesting to see what happens to city and chelsea when the owner dies or gets bored... hopefully both clubs go bang..
I know two brothers both in their 50's and chelsea fans all their lives and they have convinced themselves that they have always been a huge club.. these boys are well into their football but the blindness they show to this is silly.. they always say well utd have been spending millions for years.. not mentioning that utd has no sugar daddy to hoover up all the best players..
We are rich because we are successful. They are successful because they are rich

Simple as that.

Unread 17-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
We are rich because we are successful. They are successful because they are rich

Simple as that.
Is that entirely true? We never fell behind the verm in the 70's and 80's because of our support and the fact that the money got spread evenly between the teams.

So Forest and Derby could win the league (even Leeds is 92) not long after they'd been promoted.

Have I answered my own question? Who knows... I'm pissed.

Unread 17-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Bernard

Quote:

Simple as that.

Only Utd/Arse/Granny Stabbers have the 'right' to win the league as they are 'big clubs'? Complete football snobbery.

The game as always been that way? Money has always 'talked' Forest & Derby etc spent a lot of doller comparatively in the 70's & 80's

Iam not getting in the 'big clubs' argument anyway, its silly.
I have not got the intelligence to defend my self from the cogent reasonable arguments put forward, and ive been on the end of some real rapier like wit on this thread, so iam getting out now before i get burnt again.

Peace n love

Unread 17-05-2013, 12:04 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
3 English teams are big clubs.

Us, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Spurs just miss out and then I consider Villa, Everton and Newcastle bizarrely enough.
Aside from newcastle I think that's the pre sky "big six" who were instrumental in the creation of the premier league. motwyw

Unread 17-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Aman27deep

Quote:
We are rich because we are successful. They are successful because they are rich.
That's a well put sentence, and I find it to be 100% correct.

Unread 18-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Pop

*shudder*

Unread 18-05-2013, 04:13 PM
red in cumbria

Just as well as I didn't log on here whilst eating
Closed Thread