United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-05-2021, 10:41 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Because people are jealous of City. Not much more to it than that.
If nothing else he’ll work harder than £#%&!ing Martial.

Unread 23-05-2021, 10:48 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
If nothing else he’ll work harder than f***ing Martial.
So would I but we shouldn't be signing me either.

Unread 23-05-2021, 11:06 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
So would I but we shouldn't be signing me either.
Just watch the guy play one full game and we’ll talk again.

Unread 23-05-2021, 11:17 AM
Pop

Quote:
Just watch the guy play one full game and we’ll talk again.
Sounds like too much hard work. Is there a youtube compilation video of his highlights? It'll probably be short.

Unread 23-05-2021, 11:28 AM
20LEgend1999

The goal that caused his manager to break down in tears. Look forward to him having a similar effect on Ole.

Unread 23-05-2021, 11:28 AM
Coracao

If we're buying one attacker, needs to be someone to come into the strongest XI

Unread 23-05-2021, 11:30 AM
Sparky***

i love how this thread has racked up all these posts based off nothing but some random twitter rumour

Unread 23-05-2021, 11:30 AM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
https://streamable.com/an8bou

The goal that caused his manager to break down in tears. Look forward to him having a similar effect on Ole.
Ryan Bertrand seems to like him

Unread 23-05-2021, 11:32 AM
20LEgend1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
i love how this thread has racked up all these posts based off nothing but some random twitter rumour
Are you questioning the reliability of Mike McGrath's Transfer Notebook?

Unread 23-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Jack Duckworth

looking forward to the 'welcome to manchester: daniel william john ings' thread

Unread 23-05-2021, 12:31 PM
Stone Monkey

Much rather have Ings than Martial in the squad. Be a good back up to Kane.

Unread 23-05-2021, 12:35 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Monkey
Much rather have Ings than Martial in the squad. Be a good back up to Kane.
I’d rather have Martial, I think.

Unread 23-05-2021, 12:54 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I’d rather have Martial, I think.
Shock.

You’d have him retire here at 34 having run a grand total of 16 yards.

Unread 23-05-2021, 01:08 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Shock.

You’d have him retire here at 34 having run a grand total of 16 yards.
To be clear, I don’t want either.

Unread 23-05-2021, 01:39 PM
utd99

Quote:
To be clear, I don’t want either.
It’s funny, because people like to reserve the right to moan about the quality of the squad but then when it comes to recruitment not think about the squad at all. If Ings is low-risk, low investment, and is prepared to start out as third choice striker for a top team in the Champions League and take his opportunities as they arise, how does that not improve our squad?

Rashford’s not a CF, Greenwood is a work in progress and Martial is not going to be happy as a back up. Atm if Cavani gets injured we have no ready made CF to turn to. We’ve seen what happens when the drop off in quality to a back up is so stark with Harry Maguire, so why not try to address that while we can. Most third choice squad strikers are Giroud, Origi, Welbeck quality, so if we can have better insurance why not do it? Having Greenwood learning from two hard working, veteran centre forwards on how to play the position can’t be a bad thing.

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting Ings is an alternative to Kane or Haaland.

Unread 23-05-2021, 01:47 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
It’s funny, because people like to reserve the right to moan about the quality of the squad but then when it comes to recruitment not think about the squad at all. If Ings is low-risk, low investment, and is prepared to start out as third choice striker for a top team in the Champions League and take his opportunities as they arise, how does that not improve our squad?

Rashford’s not a CF, Greenwood is a work in progress and Martial is not going to be happy as a back up. Atm if Cavani gets injured we have no ready made CF to turn to. We’ve seen what happens when the drop off in quality to a back up is so stark with Harry Maguire, so why not try to address that while we can. Most third choice squad strikers are Giroud, Origi, Welbeck quality, so if we can have better insurance why not do it? Having Greenwood learning from two hard working, veteran centre forwards on how to play the position can’t be a bad thing.

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting Ings is an alternative to Kane or Haaland.
Don’t really disagree with any of that, but I think the make-up of our forward line is more like a selection of forwards with different qualities. Cavani is probably a nailed on starter now, but across the season, you could make a case for any of them being in or out of the side. We have a range of forwards with different qualities, rather than first choices and back ups. I think a bigger priority is Sancho. We need someone right sided who can play from the right who isn’t Dan James. Cavani, Greenwood, martial and Rashford can all play centrally and having Sancho would free up more options for the other forwards.

I’m not convinced Ings is good enough to step up either tbh. I’m a ure he’ll work hard and he knows where the net is these days, but just IMO, I’d rather leave it and focus on other areas of the pitch.

If he was one of five or six signings, okay, but we all know that won’t be the case.
Nothing against the guy, but doesn’t appeal to me. Pass.

Unread 23-05-2021, 01:54 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
If we're buying one attacker, needs to be someone to come into the strongest XI
this. It would be an atrocious buy imo.

all this squad player willing to work is great but ultimately a waste of money. Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood, maybe a youth player promoted. That's enough squad depth. What we really need is a 25+ goals a season first-team striker. Which is very likely not going to be Danny Ings. And even if it was, I doubt he sees signing for us to sit on the bench as the career move he is looking for.

Unread 23-05-2021, 02:37 PM
utd99

Unless he believes in himself and thinks he can force his way in by scoring goals given an opportunity. Plenty mocked us buying Cavani; funny how he’s come to be seen as our only top quality, ready made centre forward, eh?

Anyway, if people are happy to see us go into big games off the back of a major injury with only the quality of Bailly or Axel to turn to, or have Ole play the same 15 players all season, who am I to say differently?

Unread 23-05-2021, 02:42 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Unless he believes in himself and thinks he can force his way in by scoring goals given an opportunity. Plenty mocked us buying Cavani; funny how he’s come to be seen as our only top quality, ready made centre forward, eh?

Anyway, if people are happy to see us go into big games off the back of a major injury with only the quality of Bailly or Axel to turn to, or have Ole play the same 15 players all season, who am I to say differently?
To my point earlier though, it wouldn’t be a case of ‘back up’. We have a good forward line and if we add Sancho, there’s plenty of options and quality.

I think we can all agree that the quality of CBs and CMs isn’t good enough at first choice eleven, never mind back up or overall options.

Unread 23-05-2021, 06:57 PM
utd99

Quote:
To my point earlier though, it wouldn’t be a case of ‘back up’. We have a good forward line and if we add Sancho, there’s plenty of options and quality.

I think we can all agree that the quality of CBs and CMs isn’t good enough at first choice eleven, never mind back up or overall options.
Of course it would. He would undoubtedly come in as a squad player and if he can force his way unto the first team based on performance good for him and good for us.
Closed Thread