United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:28 AM
borsuk

Football fergie on the debt, transfers and diouf

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]Glazer debt has not tied my hands, says Sir Alex Ferguson

Sir Alex Ferguson admitted that injury to Wayne Rooney would leave Manchester United threadbare in attack. Photograph: Tom Jenkins

Sir Alex Fergusontoday launched a forthright defence of the policies of the Manchester United owners, the Glazer family, and insisted that the club's spiralling debt had no bearing on his refusal to enter the transfer market during the January window.

The United manager was adamant he had money to spend if he so wished and said the club's plans to raise £600m via a bond issue to help tackle their £699m debt were a positive development that would strengthen the financial position.

"The bond issue is a good thing for the club; I think anything that helps with repayment of debt is a good thing," he said. "There is debt there but it has never interrupted my plans for the team at any stage. I don't have any concerns about the financial situation. I have absolutely no issue at all with the club's finances and I am really confident about that."

He added that his day-to-day running of the club had not been impaired by Old Trafford's burden of debt, which has increased from £540m in 2005, the year the Glazer family took control from the old plc. In the year up to June 2008 United paid £69m in interest alone.

Despite widespread scepticism, Ferguson maintained that the first instalment of the £81m United will receive for the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid last summer is still available to him.

"No, believe me, there is no impact," he said. "I have all the money I need; the money is available. If I wanted to buy someone, I could get the money. The concerns are down to the fact that I have not moved in the transfer market but that is nothing to do with the Glazers, it is simply because I am not going to pay £50m for a striker who is not worth it."

In the past, Ferguson has joked that he was unconcerned by the way the Glazers have loaded United with debt because he would not be around to deal with the consequences. He has always backed the family whom he has found easier to deal with than the plc board and who, unlike Roman Abramovich at Chelsea and the Abu Dhabi United Group who run Manchester City, have not interfered in the transfer market.

He added that he has long been suspicious of the January window. "I don't see any diamonds there," he said. "We struck lucky with Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra but it took them time to adjust. But you can't guarantee it and you are limited when you are looking for players to play in Europe [because they are cup-tied]. I don't see a player who could make a difference in terms of value and ability."

However, Ferguson did acknowledge that if anything happened to Wayne Rooney between now and the end of the season, it would put an enormous strain on United's already limited striking resources.

In this case, he admitted, the champions would feel Ronaldo's loss sharply. "That is a possibility," he said. "It is true that we don't have great options if Rooney were to get injured, in the sense that we do not have top quality like Ronaldo, who could play anywhere, of course.

"We have brought in the boy Mame Diouf [from the Norwegian club Molde] and we will be looking to involve him at Birmingham, and I think it is a good time to do it. He's quick and he's got a magnificent spring in the air for someone of 5ft 10in. He has a good intelligence, a good feel for the game. We have done well to get the kid. He may just do well straight away. But everyone keeps missing the point because the most important thing is to get our centre-backs fit again."

While no date has been set for Rio Ferdinand's return from a persistent back injury, Ferguson does expect Vidic to be available in 10 days' time following his late withdrawal before United's FA Cup third-round defeat by Leeds United that left his manager nonplussed. "I can tell you now that Vidic felt a bit of a problem with the nerve going down the right side of his leg and it had been a problem for him," Ferguson admitted. "He didn't feel confident about playing the game but we have the problem under control."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...chester-united

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Coracao

I look forward to summer.

'No value in the market, due to the World Cup'.

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM
waynes ear's

£#%&! off Fergie

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
dunk

Quote:
Despite widespread scepticism, Ferguson maintained that the first instalment of the £81m United will receive for the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid last summer is still available to him.

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
waynes ear's

it was paid in one £80 million lump sum.

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
it was paid in one £80 million lump sum.
Allegedly, hence the

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:51 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Allegedly, hence the

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Allegedly, hence the
He never mentioned installements though. That is something that the journalist appears to have randomly added, despite there being little evidence of it and contradicting everything said thus far.

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:53 AM
redwhiteandblack

It saddens me that he allows himself to be used in this way. He should have told the Glazers to speak to the press themselves.

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He never mentioned installements though. That is something that the journalist appears to have randomly added, despite there being little evidence of it and contradicting everything said thus far.
Interesting. My understanding was it was all in 1 lump sum. Can't understand how or why the journo would make such a specific mistake.

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblack
It saddens me that he allows himself to be used in this way. He should have told the Glazers to speak to the press themselves.

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Interesting. My understanding was it was all in 1 lump sum. Can't understand how or why the journo would make such a specific mistake.
You evidently know little about journalists in general and football "journos" in particular then (of course, I know you do)

Unread 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM
42ndstreet irregular

Burnley 1 United 0
Mickeys 2 United 0
Chelsea 1 United 0
Beskitas 1 United 0
Villa 1 United 0
Fulham 3 United 0
Leeds 1 United 0

The defence needs to be fit as soon as possible that is very true.

If we could have put the ball in the net just once in 5 of those games though we wouldn't have lost. And if memory serves me right we had plenty of opportunities in all 5 of those 1-0 defeats. It wasn't the defence that lost us those games.

I think it shows how threadbare we already are if we are including Diouf today. Hopefully he really is the new Ole and if he is it will prove to be a masterstroke on Fergies behalf again. The Glazers will also be even more grateful that he will have kept the shit away from their door a bit longer.

At the moment we are great in some games but when the chips are down how confident are you of the team this season to pull back one goal never mind two. Tottenham, city to an extent and Moscow do spring to mind but to me when we really need it we seem to missing the spark or heart to get back into games that we have been spoilt with in the last 17/18 seasons.

Unread 09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Gorilla Monsoon

I don't think it shows we're threadbare by including Diouf. We could have a bench of Welbeck and Owen, there's no real need to include the lad unless Fergie thinks he has something to offer.

Lets face it, if this was an era that didnt include doubts over our finances and the Glazers, and Ferguson included a young lad called Diouf, after bigging him up in the press all week, you'd all be shitting yourselves with excitement over him, not slating him before he's even had a chance.

Unread 09-01-2010, 11:57 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
Lets face it, if this was an era that didnt include doubts over our finances and the Glazers, and Ferguson included a young lad called Diouf, after bigging him up in the press all week, you'd all be shitting yourselves with excitement over him, not slating him before he's even had a chance.
Fact.

Unread 09-01-2010, 11:59 AM
42ndstreet irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
I don't think it shows we're threadbare by including Diouf. We could have a bench of Welbeck and Owen, there's no real need to include the lad unless Fergie thinks he has something to offer.

Who has slated the lad on this thread I really hope that he is what he is being hyped up to be by Fergie.

Owen is shit. Welbeck needs confidence. Berbs really needs confidence (he'll get there though imo). Is Kiko still alive? At the moment I have confidence in one forward to put the ball in the net. FFS Fergie admits it himself that we would struggle without Rooney. So that leaves us threadbare.

It no doubt would be a different view on things without the debt or Glazer. But the debts and Glazer are here. I would have a different view on paying the bills if I won the lottery, but sadly I haven't so the bills still need to take up the bulk of my money.

Unread 09-01-2010, 12:00 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndstreet irregular
Who has slated the lad on this thread I really hope that he is what he is being hyped up to be by Fergie.

Owen is shit. Welbeck needs confidence. Berbs really needs confidence (he'll get there though imo). Is Kiko still alive? At the moment I have confidence in one forward to put the ball in the net. FFS Fergie admits it himself that we would struggle without Rooney. So that leaves us threadbare.
Injured, has been for about 2 months, hopefully given him time to do some decent weight sessions .

Unread 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM
42ndstreet irregular

Quote:
Injured, has been for about 2 months, hopefully given him time to do some decent weight sessions .
Phew. I was just about to say RIP in peace

Unread 09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
In 76 now this is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndstreet irregular
Burnley 1 United 0
Mickeys 2 United 0
Chelsea 1 United 0
Beskitas 1 United 0
Villa 1 United 0
Fulham 3 United 0
Leeds 1 United 0

The defence needs to be fit as soon as possible that is very true.

If we could have put the ball in the net just once in 5 of those games though we wouldn't have lost. And if memory serves me right we had plenty of opportunities in all 5 of those 1-0 defeats. It wasn't the defence that lost us those games.

I think it shows how threadbare we already are if we are including Diouf today. Hopefully he really is the new Ole and if he is it will prove to be a masterstroke on Fergies behalf again. The Glazers will also be even more grateful that he will have kept the shit away from their door a bit longer.

At the moment we are great in some games but when the chips are down how confident are you of the team this season to pull back one goal never mind two. Tottenham, city to an extent and Moscow do spring to mind but to me when we really need it we seem to missing the spark or heart to get back into games that we have been spoilt with in the last 17/18 seasons.
We can talk about If's all day. Im sure Chelsea fans say the same about their defeats and draws that have cost them points
The team selections at Anfield and Chelsea cost us the most and Burnley would have been a lot different if Carrick had scored that penalty.
As you mention, it was the inablity to score that cost us them games.
In some of them we had 3 strikers on the pitch and missed sitter after sitter, or seen shots hit the pots, be cleared off the line and keepers having the game of their lives (Friedel and Jensen to name but two).

Its not always a case of pointing to the strikers, but to the movement around them. Valencia plays better with Rafael, as Rafael gets forward and takes a marker away from valencia.
Berbatov plays better with attacking wingers and full backs, he holds the ball, draws in two defenders and gives the ball out wide, against leeds he never had that option till valencia came on, but the back up from Neville was never coming.

I wasnt that confident last season that we would pull a goal or two back, but having Ronaldo always gave you a chance.

The injuries we have had to our defence have been disasterous. Its gone from a situation where we have had 2 decent defenders for every position in defence, to having no defenders at all. I doubt any club would cope with that for and given the numbers out, it would be foolish to buy a back up, as it would just lead to an overburden when fit. (Given that strong rumours indicate that Vidic will go in the summer, despite him saying its rubbish. He only stayed this summer as Fergie wouldnt sell him and Ronaldo in the same year. Also strong rumours that Rodwell will arrive in the summer).
We havent played what would be classed as a first X1 since Moscow in May 08.

Theres nothing to loose with Diuf. You can compare to Ole as he came from the Norweigan league and looking at Ole's signing it was a gamble at the time.
We also signed Ronny Johnson who was a superb signing. But if people are already asking for Ole like performances, then they are asking to much already.

What we need to do, is get Macheda and Wellbeck out on loan to a Championship club for the rest of the season. Perhaps Fergie Jnr being at Preston might open that door. Currently, neither player is good enough for the first team and lacks experience.

Unread 09-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I look forward to summer.

'No value in the market, due to the World Cup'.

That'll be the firt thing we hear.

He says there are no diamonds or players that'll make the difference, but that isn't likely to change in 6 months.

I think we might just get a winger in the summer, and the hope internally will probably be that Kuszczak or For Foster replaces Van der sar.
Closed Thread