Closed Thread

Unread 11-12-2018, 09:41 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Apparently the bloke accused of the racism is saying he shouted “ MANC @#%&!”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...black-one.html
He probably did.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to scream racist abuse at a player from the front row of a game with hundreds of cameras and televised to millions of people in 2018.

Unfortunately, social media has already adjudged him to be racist so he'll probably lose his season ticket.

Unread 11-12-2018, 09:48 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Shut the £#%&! up you sanctimonious @#%&!.

You despise our manager despite never meeting the man. £#%&!ing hypocrite.

I don't despise him personally at all. In fact I've said several times that I don't think he's a bad bloke and I think he's genuinely depressed.

Taking an actual dislike to a non-entity of a lad like Sterling is just sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
Im not widening anything. Im attempting to broaden a few minds by the application of some thinking skills but that’s all.

Sterling is the one who mentioned “the media”, and the fools on here are have taken that up and run with the claim that “the media” is “institutionally racist”. Both of which are much bigger claims than your ‘one or two journalists’. Meanwhile, you can’t conflate actual real life actually and demonstrably racist incidents with the evidence and fact free claim that black footballers receive negative publicity because of racism.

As for the cop out phrase ‘racist undertones’ that’s simply another back stop for when those wishing to claim racism can’t find any actual racist content.
At this point they then develop the magical ability to divine what was in the author’s thoughts when he penned the article with no overt racism “what he means is this (insert racist theory).

That this style of ‘argument’ is gaining acceptance stems from Foucault and deconstructionism with his insistence that all social relations are based on power not truth. People are used to idiots ‘feeling’ they can make unsubstantiated claims with no thought for accuracy that even an unbelievably privileged millionaire can generate sympathy for his oppression at the hands of power structures simply by playing the race card.
So you don't think covert racism exists? Especially in this modern day, unless it's clear blunt then people must be imagining it?

Sterling comes across as lad who really wants to improve his game. I'm sure he'd rather not have to address this shite, let alone invent it.

Unread 11-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Clownbones

Asking for facts and scientific evidence when discussing a newspaper article/headline, which centres around tone, seems disingenuous.

Aside from literally labelling him with some racist tag (which no newspaper would do) what would you consider evidence, Irk? (I'm genuinely asking too. Not being a dick.)

Papers, as clumsy as they are, rarely go around overtly stating their opinion/position. It's how they manage to get away with so much shit and hide away like the sniveling shits they are.

They let their position bleed through, bit by bit, which the odd choice of word here, the odd bit of framing there.....leading to exactly the kind of Foden example that started this whole thread. And not just on the issue of race. On anything.

Can we 'prove' they're being racist? Probably not, but outside a KKK rally, where do you see something as overt as calling someone a .
.... You know..... It's more subtle than that. Very hard to prove, but equally, I don't think sterling's accounts and examples of similar articles with very different tones depending on the race of the subject should simply be dismissed as %@#$&!s .

These are the discussions that need to be had . Sterling should be able to say this without being dismissed. People should be allowed to question whether the racism exists to the degree people suggest without being labelled ignorant and racist before the conversation even gets going.

Unread 11-12-2018, 11:20 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
but outside a KKK rally, where do you see something as overt as calling someone a .
.... You know.....
Stamford Bridge

Unread 11-12-2018, 11:22 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Stamford Bridge
The penalty area at the kop

Unread 11-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Stamford Bridge
What's the difference?...

Unread 11-12-2018, 11:23 AM
andyroo

Quote:
The penalty area at the kop
Legally that was part of Uruguay for the day so it was all right.

Unread 11-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
some guy shouted racist abuse at him in public, maybe he's not right about the media being institutionally racist but what's the harm in calling them out? The media is more biased than the gen pop imho. Maybe they should look at themselves.
The alleged racial abuse was a headline news item (on the radio at least). That would appear to suggest that the media is in fact anti-racist out of all proportion.

'Brexit on the brink, multi billion pound rail project falters, random man may have shouted bad word at footballer'.

Quote:
Apparently the bloke accused of the racism is saying he shouted “ MANC @#%&!”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...black-one.html
Somebody mentioned that in the match thread. I reviewed the footage and thought: there's no way they will be able to prove otherwise. Police are still reviewing video footage - no arrests made - bet there won't be any either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
So you don't think covert racism exists? Especially in this modern day, unless it's clear blunt then people must be imagining it?

Sterling comes across as lad who really wants to improve his game. I'm sure he'd rather not have to address this shite, let alone invent it.
It would appear that the 'clear and blunt' racism may in fact have been imagined, by Sterling.

Quote:
‘I was completely out of order, but I’ve lost my job and my season ticket now so everybody’s got what they wanted. So why can’t they leave me alone?’
The poor £#%&!er.

Quote:
Several of Mr Wing’s neighbours instantly identified him from CCTV footage and matchday photographs.

One said: ‘It’s mortifying to think somebody capable of that could be living along your street.’

Another said: ‘We need to stay out of this and think about our young son, but it’s unbelievable to think the man we just heard about on television might be a neighbour of ours.’

A third neighbour described Mr Wing as a ‘scumbag’.

They posted a pic of his house btw.
This... racist newspaper.

Unread 11-12-2018, 12:18 PM
ZiggyStardust

There clearly is a strong sub conscious racism in society and especially in the media towards black people however I don't think that's the main reason that Sterling has been targeted by the likes of the Daily Mail as otherwise surely Rashford or Lingard would come in for the same treatment but they don't

Let's be honest this hate campaign against Sterling started when he made the unforgivable and almost sacrilegious decision to force a move away from Liverpool to City

If he had gone from Southampton to City does anyone think he'd have got half the abuse

Unread 11-12-2018, 12:20 PM
silv

Similar to Pogba, he has a certain style that people find offensive. I do think a lot of people don't like to see young black men do well especially if they are extravagant.

Unread 11-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Similar to Pogba, he has a certain style that people find offensive. I do think a lot of people don't like to see young black men do well especially if they are extravagant.

He looks a @#%&!. So does Pogba.

It's not because they're black. It's because they're young, rich and have garish taste. Foden etc... piss me off equally.

I feel so old.

Unread 11-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Buck

Neville worked with Sterling. Interesting listen

Unread 11-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Asking for facts and scientific evidence when discussing a newspaper article/headline, which centres around tone, seems disingenuous.

Aside from literally labelling him with some racist tag (which no newspaper would do) what would you consider evidence, Irk? (I'm genuinely asking too. Not being a dick.)

Papers, as clumsy as they are, rarely go around overtly stating their opinion/position. It's how they manage to get away with so much shit and hide away like the sniveling shits they are.

They let their position bleed through, bit by bit, which the odd choice of word here, the odd bit of framing there.....leading to exactly the kind of Foden example that started this whole thread. And not just on the issue of race. On anything.

Can we 'prove' they're being racist? Probably not, but outside a KKK rally, where do you see something as overt as calling someone a .
.... You know..... It's more subtle than that. Very hard to prove, but equally, I don't think sterling's accounts and examples of similar articles with very different tones depending on the race of the subject should simply be dismissed as %@#$&!s .

These are the discussions that need to be had . Sterling should be able to say this without being dismissed. People should be allowed to question whether the racism exists to the degree people suggest without being labelled ignorant and racist before the conversation even gets going.
All of that.

Unread 11-12-2018, 12:51 PM
Cream

So Clownbones, Ziggy and Neville are focussing strongly on tone... interesting.

I'd love to be able to disprove the tone argument but of course, tone can't be disproved. Nor proved. It can only be asserted. OK.

Incidentally, Neville didn't provide a single example of racial abuse that separated the criticism levelled at Sterling from the sort levelled at Beckham, Rooney, Gazza.

But the sheer tone... blood curdling.

Unread 11-12-2018, 01:31 PM
thatsfuctit

talksport getting a bit of a kicking along with the Sun pundits on the show

All part of the Murdoch empire incidentally
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...leroy-13710466

Unread 11-12-2018, 01:32 PM
no fun

Shouldnt we be starting a campaign to recognise the hurt and distress we are feeling due to “Manc” being used as a derogatory term?

I can think of a city not too far from here that would be seething and shaking with rage if it had been them

Unread 11-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
So Clownbones, Ziggy and Neville are focussing strongly on tone... interesting.

I'd love to be able to disprove the tone argument but of course, tone can't be disproved. Nor proved. It can only be asserted. OK.

Incidentally, Neville didn't provide a single example of racial abuse that separated the criticism levelled at Sterling from the sort levelled at Beckham, Rooney, Gazza.

But the sheer tone... blood curdling.
9 minutes on

Unread 11-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

I don't despise him personally at all. In fact I've said several times that I don't think he's a bad bloke and I think he's genuinely depressed.

Taking an actual dislike to a non-entity of a lad like Sterling is just sad.

There will be racists who hide their racist attitudes. Until tbey do something overtly racist there is no problem. Judging an act that contains no overt racism to be covertly racist on no evidence is just silly.

Unread 11-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
His argument, such as it is, hinges on the rehabilitation aspect. Ashley Cole was never going to reach hero status, he's a £#%&!ing full back. Raheem Sterling might one day, but so far he's achieved nothing for England.

Rooney became England's leading goal scorer of all time. Beckham scored the last minute goal that qualified England for the Euros. Gaza performed out of his skin in Euro 96.

'So when you look at the evidence, it becomes quite blatant'.

Wrong.

Unread 11-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
talksport getting a bit of a kicking along with the Sun pundits on the show

All part of the Murdoch empire incidentally
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...leroy-13710466
So what you're saying here is... Irk is the Secret Footballer?
Closed Thread