United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 28-09-2022, 08:35 AM
Mr_Ed

Default Whatís the best weather app?

Iím a bit geeky at times and had a meteoearth subscription for a few years but theyíve stripped it right back so I canít see wind flow, weather patterns forming in the Atlantic etcÖ

Anyone got any good recommendations for this? Iíve got AccuWeather which is OK but doesnít give much by way of decent 10 day forecasts and the like.

Feel this thread could drop like a stone

Unread 28-09-2022, 09:29 AM
Poop

Look out the f***ing window

Unread 28-09-2022, 09:42 AM
Seamus

Unread 28-09-2022, 09:48 AM
armchair

They can't accurately forecast weather more than a few days ahead.

Unread 28-09-2022, 10:01 AM
Arnold Muhren

I just use the Met Office home page. And as said, anything more than few days forward is akin to throwing runes.

Unread 28-09-2022, 10:23 AM
Ethers

Itís really not. Several different models were predicting the summer heatwave about ten days in advance.

Unread 28-09-2022, 10:28 AM
Drexl

Just listen to what your body is telling you imo

Unread 28-09-2022, 10:46 AM
Sparky***

I use the BBC one. Its pretty mediocre tbh

Unread 28-09-2022, 10:56 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
I use the BBC one. Its pretty mediocre tbh
I feel it has got considerably worse since the BBC ditched the Met Office as the source of their weather data.

Unread 28-09-2022, 10:57 AM
Baron

The missus has the paid for Dark Skies app that is infinitely better than the BBC or Met ones.

It was acquired by Apple a while ago, the app is now showing a notification that it will stop working in January & will be incorporated into the native iOS weather app that should mean you get a huge free upgrade (assuming you're not some Android belm obvs).

Unread 28-09-2022, 12:00 PM
Spock

windy.com is ok, lots of pretty colours and moving bits anyway. presume there is also an app for it

Unread 28-09-2022, 12:08 PM
FraUtd

Today Weather is fairly good, can configure different weather sources, including Dark Sky which is very good for 'hyperlocal' forecasts I think they called it.
Then they went to the iOS darkside, think some of third party API feeds will last longer than the Jan cutoff

If you really want to nerd out with forecasts though, have a look at Meteogram, ridiculously customisable.

Best you can get is an educated guess between a few diff forecasts, figure out what's best for your area, right pain when everything you wanna do is weather dependent!

Unread 28-09-2022, 12:54 PM
Baron

I saw one of those "I was today years old" videos where someone explained the difference between the "30% chance of rain" sort of forecast that we (mostly) interpret incorrectly.

i.e. we see "30% chance of rain" and think there's a 30% chance it will rain that day / hour or whatever - but it's actually stating it's 30% of that area that is expected to have rain. So the hyper localised stuff actually makes a massive difference to your expectations of rain. You could, if you have the data, ignore the expectation of rain if you are in the complete opposite area of that forecast and therefore head out with (more / some) confidence of what you expect.

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:01 PM
Bunker Buster

Never knew so many people checked the weather ....

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:24 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I saw one of those "I was today years old" videos where someone explained the difference between the "30% chance of rain" sort of forecast that we (mostly) interpret incorrectly.

i.e. we see "30% chance of rain" and think there's a 30% chance it will rain that day / hour or whatever - but it's actually stating it's 30% of that area that is expected to have rain. So the hyper localised stuff actually makes a massive difference to your expectations of rain. You could, if you have the data, ignore the expectation of rain if you are in the complete opposite area of that forecast and therefore head out with (more / some) confidence of what you expect.
This is new informationÖ thank you sir!

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:25 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

Thatís been debunked by the Met Office, itís isnít true.

ď Chance of precipitation

For example, a 70% chance of rain represents a 7 in 10 chance that precipitation will fall at some point during that period.

Chance of precipitation represents how likely it is that rain (or other precipitation: sleet, snow, hail, drizzle etc.) will fall from the sky at a certain time.Ē

Unread 28-09-2022, 01:47 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
windy.com is ok,
"said ages ago it was gonna rain"
"my man the wind showing them who's boss again. called it."

Unread 28-09-2022, 02:07 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
This is new informationÖ thank you sir!
Erm.. hold please caller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers View Post
Thatís been debunked by the Met Office, itís isnít true.

ď Chance of precipitation

For example, a 70% chance of rain represents a 7 in 10 chance that precipitation will fall at some point during that period.

Chance of precipitation represents how likely it is that rain (or other precipitation: sleet, snow, hail, drizzle etc.) will fall from the sky at a certain time.Ē
Can a man not trust anything on the internet?

I tried to find the video but only went on a rabbit hole - this is the sort of thing that clouds (lol) the argument...

Quote:
Meteorologists arenít in agreement on how to measure the Probability of Precipitation, aka that little percentage of rain on your weather app. Some use a formula for it ó PoP = C x A, where C stands for confidence and A stands for area. So if thereís a 50% chance of rain in 80% of a given area, your probability of rain becomes 40%.
I'm shit at maths so if there is any actual differentiation between the two statements is already overly confusing for me if I'm honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic View Post
"said ages ago it was gonna rain"
"my man the wind showing them who's boss again. called it."

Unread 28-09-2022, 03:33 PM
tatty

It depends what you need really but any of the apps with radar derived precipitation and thunderstorm data will give you an accurate actual and short-term forecast.

As others have said though, any longer duration and itís still a bit dark ages.

Unread 01-10-2022, 11:02 AM
windy waffles

AccuWeather.