United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 25-07-2022, 08:00 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Did you buy the disks from the same place at the same time?
That's serious levels of paranoia

Unread 25-07-2022, 08:02 PM
Sharders

For my company we use 3 off site servers, housed in different cities. Each one of them is backed up 3 times too by a third party. Have a local 10 TB HD that I take literally everywhere with me and another one in a fire proof safe in the floor of my barn.

Unread 25-07-2022, 08:11 PM
pc6090

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Did they fire you?
No. Strictly speaking it wasn’t my fault. It was a firmware bug (we were warned but somehow we forgot &#128580 I did make a shit load of overtime on it

Quote:
Told you. I can't understand why people spend all that time/money/effort on backups, yet never actually test their viability
After a couple of days outage we worked out we could recover things from our standby database but that meant copying the entire database across the WAN. All in all a weeks outage in the run up to our peak operations. I wasn’t exactly popular but didn’t even get a warning, mind you I once accidentally unplugged a SAN in our data centre whilst doing a power migration. Amazingly I’m still working there.

Unread 25-07-2022, 08:40 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
That's serious levels of paranoia
We bought some new big NAS drives at work recently. Got the drives from 3 different suppliers (prolly still the same batch from the manufacturers tho )

Unread 25-07-2022, 09:00 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharders
fire proof safe in the floor of my barn.
What do you keep in your barn?

Unread 25-07-2022, 09:37 PM
Sharders

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
What do you keep in your barn?
Nothing really. It's a basically a ruin with half a roof. Got a couple of old scrambler bikes in there, an old gun rack and a chicken coop with 6 chickens. Bought it and a quarter of an acre of land off the farmer next door dirt cheap with grand plans to convert it. There's a bomb and flood proof safe in the concrete floor.

Unread 25-07-2022, 09:40 PM
suedeshoes

Will the chickens and the 10 TB HD be OK if the bomb goes off?

Unread 25-07-2022, 09:48 PM
Sharders

Quote:
You're right, I better put the chickens in the safe too

Unread 26-07-2022, 10:24 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
We bought some new big NAS drives at work recently. Got the drives from 3 different suppliers (prolly still the same batch from the manufacturers tho )
Which disks did you go for?

Quote:
I wonder what he has on that 10TB disk and why he carries it everywhere...

Unread 26-07-2022, 10:34 AM
Sharders

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
I wonder what he has on that 10TB disk and why he carries it everywhere...
It's a photo and bio of every chicken born.

Unread 26-07-2022, 10:35 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharders
It's a photo and bio of every chicken born.

Unread 28-07-2022, 11:40 PM
utd99

When you enable one drive does it automatically change the pathing to every folder on your desktop? f***ing microsoft…now I remember why I hate them. So invasive. I only re-enabled it to learn power automate.