United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic

Unread 29-05-2022, 12:44 AM
f.e.a.r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony View Post
What about all the poisonous insects and snakes etc? And a bit hot?
In the 16 years I've lived here I have only seen two snakes when camping. Both were on the road and slithered off quickly as I approached.

Flies can be a problem at certain times of the year, especially those big fat March flies that bite. I wear long sleeves and a head-net when it gets really bad, douse myself in Bushman's insect-repellent and use bug spray in the tent.

Hot? It's winter here now. I expect sub-zero overnight temperatures next month when I'm in the Simpson Desert with daytime reaching around 20 degrees. Perfect camping weather.

Unread 29-05-2022, 12:47 AM
Sapien

With no fun on this one. Sounds great in theory but no, f*** that for a game of soldiers

Unread 29-05-2022, 08:47 AM
Hyman_Roth

Lots of challenges if you're so soft to not be able to live without your comforts for a very short while but there is nothing like waking up by a mountain tarn on a clear morning with the whole place to yourself.

Would prefer that to waking up in a pampered 5 star hotel (always with a stupid amount of cushions on the bed) any day of the week.

Unread 29-05-2022, 09:14 AM
jem

dads' camp hasn't happened in at least five years. thank f***. I'm sure it's lovely when you're on your own, but not so much when you are everyone's pack horse and chef.

not sure about aussie spiders and crocs, but kayaking round abel tasman with dolphins and camping on beaches at night was fun.

Unread 30-05-2022, 12:00 PM
suedeshoes

Camped somewhere the other night and going to another place on Thursday. For both, the Internet says you're not allowed to camp but people do. Who's job is it to stop people and could they ever be arsed?

My tent is a bit camouflaged so they won't see me anyway.

Unread 30-05-2022, 12:04 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes View Post
Camped somewhere the other night and going to another place on Thursday. For both, the Internet says you're not allowed to camp but people do. Who's job is it to stop people and could they ever be arsed?

My tent is a bit camouflaged so they won't see me anyway.
perentage of farmers with shotguns - 98pc

Unread 30-05-2022, 12:11 PM
suedeshoes

I wouldn't camp on private land. Local authority-owned stuff is fair game though.

Unread 30-05-2022, 12:15 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
Lots of challenges if you're so soft to not be able to live without your comforts for a very short while but there is nothing like waking up by a mountain tarn on a clear morning with the whole place to yourself.

Would prefer that to waking up in a pampered 5 star hotel (always with a stupid amount of cushions on the bed) any day of the week.
this....

zenith for me waking up 15m from the shore of lake maggiore , zipping up and dawn swimming

5star hotel staff hate every single guest...

Unread 30-05-2022, 12:17 PM
Coracao

Can't think of much worse.

Unread 30-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
this....

zenith for me waking up 15m from the shore of lake maggiore , zipping up and dawn swimming

5star hotel staff hate every single guest...
Overpriced weeklong hotel stays are out, modern Airbnb houses for a month are in

est.1878

Quote:
I wouldn't camp on private land. Local authority-owned stuff is fair game though.
sounds like you have it sussed. are they just worried about fires.

my brother does winter wild camps in scotland. minus temps, hammocks between trees and open air sleeping. has some sort of emergency GPS alert system. keeps going back...

Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao View Post
Can't think of much worse.
wonder why

I'm the same, slept in more f***ing holes in woods, mountains and deserts to last a Life time...

Unread 30-05-2022, 12:19 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
Overpriced weeklong hotel stays are out, modern Airbnb houses for a month are in
a month !

@jez

Unread 20-06-2022, 11:33 PM
suedeshoes

Loving this wild camping business. Done 4 nights in 4 different spots now. All around the Snake Woodlands and one up Kinder Scout. Amazing vibes. Dutch army surplus is the best kit. Guinness the best sustenance and peace and quiet the best respite.

If anyone has any decent spots to recommend I'm all ears.

Unread 21-06-2022, 12:21 AM
tatty

Quote:
Loving this wild camping business. Done 4 nights in 4 different spots now. All around the Snake Woodlands and one up Kinder Scout. Amazing vibes. Dutch army surplus is the best kit. Guinness the best sustenance and peace and quiet the best respite.

You’ve got me in the mood to get my cot bed out in the back garden to sleep under the stars.

Unread 21-06-2022, 08:29 AM
puressence

Im off camping for 5 nights tomorrow in a field with 200k others

Unread 21-06-2022, 08:31 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence View Post
Sounds awful. Hope you’re in the posh section.

Unread 21-06-2022, 09:07 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Can you get phone signal /WiFi there these days?

Awareness: bad rep every 10th time you live post or mention it starting now

Quote:
Try ennerdale

Unread 21-06-2022, 09:13 AM
NedKelly

Quote:

Unread 21-06-2022, 09:18 AM
no fun

Quote: