United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 26-09-2022, 04:03 PM
Sloppy

Default NASA is set to smash a multi-million dollar satellite into an asteroid tonight

NASA is set to smash a multi-million dollar satellite into an asteroid in the name of science on Monday evening.

The Dart spacecraft will hit the small asteroid that is seven million miles from Earth at around 14,000 miles per hour.

Despite the incredible speed, scientists predict the impact will only create a crater tens of metres wide.

The size of a small vending machine at 1,570kg, the spacecraft will slam into roughly five billion kilograms of asteroid and hopefully slightly change its orbits of a neighbouring much larger asteroid.

Should the mission be a success NASA hopes to shave ten minutes off Dimorphos's (the target asteroid) 11-hour and 55-minute orbit of the much larger Didymos.

The test is being used to demonstrate that if a dangerous asteroid ever threatens Earth, humanity would stand a chance of preventing its impact.
Due to its relatively small predicted impact on Dimorphos's orbit should the same technique be used to direct an asteroid away from Earth the satellite would need to be launched 10-20 years in advance of the predicted collision date.

The project was launched last autumn and cost around £300 million.
For all its notions of the first test of its kind and sci-fi tropes, Dart is a fairly low-tech satellite.

Dart (short for Double Asteroid Redirection Test) is essentially a battering ram with a camera attached.

When and how can you watch Dart hit the asteroid?

NASA says it will start livestreaming Dart's collision course with the asteroid from 6pm (ET) - 11pm (GMT) in the UK.

It predicts the satellite will hit the asteroid at around 7.14pm (ET) - 12.14am (GMT) in the UK.

NASA will host the stream on their Facebook, Twitter and YouTube for members of the public to watch.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-09-26/...teroid-tonight

Unread 26-09-2022, 04:05 PM
Drexl

Thumbs up

Bom bom bom, satellite of SMASH

Unread 26-09-2022, 04:06 PM
Poop

Be quite funny if they got their calculations wrong and sent it hurtling towards earth

Actually, maybe it wouldn't

All depends what country it would smash into I guess.

Unread 26-09-2022, 04:11 PM
est.1878

So our best plan is to launch something 10/20 years from when it's needed? Wouldn't a big one become visible just weeks before impact? (citation : few Holywood movies I've half watched )

Unread 26-09-2022, 04:17 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
Wouldn't a big one become visible just weeks before impact?
Oh my !!!

Unread 26-09-2022, 04:22 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
Oh my !!!
keep talking,,,

Taurid meteor shower keeps me up at night... (not like that...)...

Unread 26-09-2022, 05:42 PM
Finport Red

I wasnít aware vending machines came in different sizes. Surely for an important test like this a large one, like the one down the bus station that took £2 off me and never gave me the bag of crisps I wanted, wouldíve been a better, and more fitting, candidate?

Unread 26-09-2022, 08:21 PM
dunk

Iím not sure a small vending machine weighs 1570kg tbf.

Unread 26-09-2022, 09:10 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
Iím not sure a small vending machine weighs 1570kg tbf.
Depends on how many £2 coins itís got in it, I suppose. And whether itís bothered giving people the confectionery they wanted.

Unread 27-09-2022, 06:02 AM
Bunker Buster

What a load of shit, woke women screaming at freeze frame shit live feed......

"Oh mhay gard....are we going to hit iiiiiiit"

Maybe ? You've only set the course god knows how long ago ...

Shite....

Unread 27-09-2022, 06:34 AM
Drexl

LIES! that's a zoomed-in Ferrero Roacher

Unread 27-09-2022, 06:37 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
LIES! that's a zoomed-in Ferrero Roacher

Why's it still freeze frame footage in this day and age.

Go pro cornered the market for live streaming, why are NASA still sending VHS out ?

Unread 27-09-2022, 06:42 AM
Drexl

Quote:

Go pro cornered the market for live streaming, why are NASA still sending VHS out ?
It's barmy innit? And why would you not send up a "mothership" with multiple bombs?

A) you can watch what happens with each deployment
B) you can send a second or a third if the first doesn't work

FRED > NASA

Unread 27-09-2022, 07:37 AM
Switching Off

Quote:

Its 7 million miles away mate. Tbe wifi out there is spotty.

It's better than the CCTV GMP release btw.

Unread 27-09-2022, 07:40 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off View Post
Its 7 million miles away mate. Tbe wifi out there is spotty.

It's better than the CCTV GMP release btw.

It's not good enough mate.... Space X would have made a right royal show of it ...without the need for leaping biden women doing tick tock dances in the control room...