United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink
Reply
 
Unread 21-08-2022, 07:11 PM
ragnorak
 
Default Takeaway Platform Prices

Evening all, just ordered an Indian takeaway from our local and looked at different platforms.

UberEats is giving us 20% off orders over £20 but only one indian restaurant taking part and it is pants so no good

JustEat it came to £45

Own website - used this as it was £35

It just struck me that the range we can be paying for the same item can be wildly different. Daughters chicken tikka biriani was £10.50 on Just Eat and Uber. Brutal stuff.

Going to knock it on the head, never used them too much but cannot justify it anymore. How is it where you are?
 
Unread 21-08-2022, 07:19 PM
armchair
 
Default

I miss cash and ringing up for deliveries.

Loads of restaurants I know hate justeat but the website is better for customers.
 
Unread 21-08-2022, 07:25 PM
elhombre
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnorak
Evening all, just ordered an Indian takeaway from our local and looked at different platforms.

UberEats is giving us 20% off orders over £20 but only one indian restaurant taking part and it is pants so no good

JustEat it came to £45

Own website - used this as it was £35

It just struck me that the range we can be paying for the same item can be wildly different. Daughters chicken tikka biriani was £10.50 on Just Eat and Uber. Brutal stuff.

Going to knock it on the head, never used them too much but cannot justify it anymore. How is it where you are?

it's all too easy...

these apps mean you can click away, Face ID with Apple pay, and you've dropped nearly 50 quid for food within 5 mins.

and as I've said in another thread, the quality of the food is never nearly as good as when you're in a restaurant, regardless of the type of food.... some of it really has been bobbins.

my mate is a proper hermit - he just sits at his computer/on his phone and orders food regularly for him and his wife and kids.... he runs up absolutely huge amounts every month.

I've deleted the apps and won't be using them again.... even McDs on uber eats is expensive.

I've saved a tonne of money not using them.
 
Unread 21-08-2022, 07:26 PM
92ToBury
 
Default

Just eat operate on a lower margin than Uber. Best value is to ring up and collect, or if you’re very close, they’ll often deliver for free, especially if you’re paying cash.
 
Unread 21-08-2022, 07:27 PM
Arnold Muhren
 
Default

I only use Just Eat to pick what I want then ring it through to the actual takeaway. The cut they take from each order is a pisstake.
 
Unread 21-08-2022, 07:29 PM
Mr_Ed
 
Default

I did the maths a year or two ago and worked out it was cheaper to get a taxi there and back to collect food than use one of the apps.
 
Unread 21-08-2022, 07:30 PM
NedKelly
 
Default

Ordered a McDonald’s breakfast with a pal recently and it was disgusting - cold and almost stale tasting. Much prefer picking things up in person. A couple of local places use their own drivers so happy to order straight through them as it normally arrives still pretty fresh.
 
Unread 21-08-2022, 07:56 PM
Finport Red
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnorak
Evening all, just ordered an Indian takeaway from our local and looked at different platforms.

UberEats is giving us 20% off orders over £20 but only one indian restaurant taking part and it is pants so no good

JustEat it came to £45

Own website - used this as it was £35

It just struck me that the range we can be paying for the same item can be wildly different. Daughters chicken tikka biriani was £10.50 on Just Eat and Uber. Brutal stuff.

Going to knock it on the head, never used them too much but cannot justify it anymore. How is it where you are?
Always go and collect takeaways, rather than have them delivered. At least you know your dinner hasn’t taken the scenic route.

Almost never in my platforms though. A teatime disaster if you go over on your ankle.
 
Unread 21-08-2022, 08:01 PM
elhombre
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Always go and collect takeaways, rather than have them delivered. At least you know your dinner hasn’t taken the scenic route.

Almost never in my platforms though. A teatime disaster if you go over on your ankle.



that's where I am going wrong.
 
Unread 24-08-2022, 12:43 PM
windy waffles
 
Default

Had pie and chips from the chippy yesterday x 2, curry sauce, mushy peas and battered sausages. £19 if I order through their own website with delivery. Just Eat wanted to charge £27.

They literally stick £3 on each serving of the pie and chips. Robbing c***s.
 
Unread 24-08-2022, 01:09 PM
elhombre
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Had pie and chips from the chippy yesterday x 2, curry sauce, mushy peas and battered sausages. £19 if I order through their own website with delivery. Just Eat wanted to charge £27.

They literally stick £3 on each serving of the pie and chips. Robbing c***s.
…and a can of diet tango
 
Unread 25-08-2022, 08:00 AM
windy waffles
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
…and a can of diet tango
Usually get Rio. Forgot to order.
 
Unread 25-08-2022, 08:34 AM
believe
 
Default

I’d say beer aside the cost of living in the uae is less than the Uk these days.

Takeaway food on talabat and Deliveroo is so cheap here when I see some of the prices mentioned. Deliveroo charge here is 4 aed I think which is less than a quid .
 
Unread 25-08-2022, 10:14 AM
TravellingRed
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I’d say beer aside the cost of living in the uae is less than the Uk these days.

Takeaway food on talabat and Deliveroo is so cheap here when I see some of the prices mentioned. Deliveroo charge here is 4 aed I think which is less than a quid .
I would imagine that's due to having an endless pool of extremely cheap labour you can exploit to your hearts desire.
 
Unread 25-08-2022, 10:21 AM
Bunker Buster
 
Default

Curry = collect (2 hour wait for delivery)

Chinese = collect, they don't have delivery....

Chippy = walk


I've never used a food app.
 
Unread 25-08-2022, 10:43 AM
silv
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I’d say beer aside the cost of living in the uae is less than the Uk these days.

Takeaway food on talabat and Deliveroo is so cheap here when I see some of the prices mentioned. Deliveroo charge here is 4 aed I think which is less than a quid .
What happens when you can pay slave labour wages I guess
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Takeaway Platform Prices
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rate My Takeaway armchair Food and Drink 94 30-07-2022 07:35 PM
Jose Mourinho sees the League Cup as platform for success fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 20-12-2017 02:00 PM
Manchester United's FA Cup triumph can be platform for success but in all areasÂ*there is room for fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 23-05-2016 05:40 PM
Hodgson believes England's solid start is a good platform fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 11-06-2012 11:20 PM
Take on the takeaway armchair Off Topic 12 16-02-2008 01:56 PM
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:56 PM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2022 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.