United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Should Greenwood be allowed to play for us again?
Yes 41 33.33%
No 82 66.67%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:27 PM
dunk

They did charge him

The testimony the key witness was due to provide was sufficiently important to the case that once removed it was no lounger feasible to take it to court.

He was charged, date was set for November IIRC. Therefore the case must’ve been sufficiently strong for them to push for a conviction ?

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:30 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Whether he serves prison time is for the criminal courts

Utd’s decision to keep him or get rid of him isn’t based on whether he is found guilty or innocent in a court of law
It’s a judgement call based on all the information they have at hand

You can try to play mental gymnastics with this as much as you want but it’s a very simple situation
Either you think those pictures and audio were faked or they are real
There is no in between

If they are real then he is clearly a physically abusive rapist and should have nothing to do with the club ever again

As far as I’m concerned they are clearly real and not faked because if they were faked we would have heard about it by now as it wouldn’t be that hard to figure out
That's a false dichotomy. They're not the only options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
They did charge him
They didn't!

If they'd charged him he'd be going to court.

They arrested him (i think). They interviewed him. That's it.

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:31 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
That's a false dichotomy. They're not the only options.

They didn't!

If they'd charged him he'd be going to court.

They arrested him (i think). They interviewed him. That's it.
He was charged. Court date set for November ‘23 in October. Charges dropped due to the witness dropping out.

Mason Greenwood charged with attempted rape and assault https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-63272019

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:31 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
They did charge him

The testimony the key witness was due to provide was sufficiently important to the case that once removed it was no lounger feasible to take it to court.

He was charged, date was set for November IIRC. Therefore the case must’ve been sufficiently strong for them to push for a conviction ?
How do you know this? Have the police or CPS said it?

Police bail?

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:32 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Realistic prospect of a conviction.

And no one is 'found innocent' after a trial in England and Wales. It's a binary result.
This isn't Law it's English 101.

To be found' innocent requires a determination eg a process that sets out rules.

MG is clearly legally innocent until proven otherwise but as he hasn't entered the determination phase he hasn't been 'found ' innocent.

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:36 PM
dunk

Quote:
How do you know this? Have the police or CPS said it?

Police bail?
Yes. He was charged. The reason for charges being dropped were given as such.

Mason Greenwood charged with attempted rape and assault https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-63272019

Have you any idea what the £#%&! is going on?

Mason Greenwood: Trial date set for Manchester United player https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-63699399

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:36 PM
redhegemony

And was re arrested on suspicion of breaching bail conditions.

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
And was re arrested on suspicion of breaching bail conditions.
Quote:
The controlling and coercive behaviour charge relates to a period between November 2018 and October 2022, where Mr Greenwood is alleged to have made threatening and derogatory comments towards the complainant, as well as accessing and monitoring her social media accounts.
Innocent.

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:39 PM
NedKelly

grinchers right now

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:40 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Innocent.
What a guy

Stick him up front to bang in some goals for us

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:46 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:

Oh yeah.

Don't even remember that.

Literally got no memory of that happening.

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:46 PM
dunk

So you’ve been arguing for a week that he should play again under the impression that he’d just had a quick chat with the old bill a year ago?

Remind me not to enlist you in any potential legal defence.

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:49 PM
Bunker Buster

Talking

Jesus grinchy.....

Isn't this literally your job aswell ...

FFS

Unread 05-02-2023, 06:50 PM
redhegemony

I'd imagine the CPS asked all those questions as to who it was etc of the victim before charging him.

Unread 05-02-2023, 07:51 PM
westcoastvan

At any rate, even with charges dropped his premier career is done (most likely)

There would be too much media scrutinity, bad press, and potential loss of sponsers if he returns. I can't imagine even a regulation side taking him on

....so probably best for people to concentrate on the upcoming game, he's the past.

Unread 05-02-2023, 07:59 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Quote:
They did charge him

So are you suggesting that the primary basis of the case against him was going to be hearsay from an individual and that the CPS weren’t confident that the tape and photos could get them a conviction?

Doesn’t sound like they had a massively incriminating case against him if that’s true.

Again, I should point out I’m in no way defending Greenwood. At the very best he’s clearly an unpleasant character, but I’d have hoped that to take such a high profile case to court they’d be reliant on more that just one individual testimony.

Unread 05-02-2023, 08:01 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Samurai
So are you suggesting that the primary basis of the case against him was going to be hearsay from an individual and that the CPS weren’t confident that the tape and photos could get them a conviction?

Doesn’t sound like they had a massively incriminating case against him if that’s true.
More that the evidence (pics and audio) was in the public domain and therefore could prejudice the case, I believe, so they needed testimony on top of it. All DV and Rape cases pretty much fall apart without witness testimony I’d have thought.

Doesn’t mean the incidents never occurred and the person wasn’t guilty of carrying them out.

I’d have thought the pics and audio made this case extremely odd, had they not gone public it could’ve properly £#%&!ed him.

Unread 05-02-2023, 08:04 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Quote:
More that the evidence (pics and audio) was in the public domain and therefore could prejudice the case, I believe, so they needed testimony on top of it. All DV and Rape cases pretty much fall apart without witness testimony I’d have thought.
Just edited my post a bit to clarify where I was coming from.

Unread 05-02-2023, 08:05 PM
dunk

May have been more than one and all withdrew? Victim and the friend that released it..

Unread 05-02-2023, 08:05 PM
My Name is Heath

Exclamation

<Insert your opinion here>

Hope that is ok.
Closed Thread