United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:02 PM
wee man

Default Who are United's greatest rivals ?

For me it's Liverpool but I am an OOT. Have often thought that for the locals it would always be city. Are Liverpool in that equation simply because of their success. If Shankly had gone to Everton instead and followed by Bob Paisley etc and had the same influence would they be thought of today as we think of the murderers ? Whereas city would always have been there simply because of their locality and this is "generally" the basis of a club's biggest rivals. I know there are exceptions -eg Barca/Madrid.

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:04 PM
scherben

Liverpool

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Krushkov

The Glazers

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Sloppy

Fc

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Rangers.

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:10 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherben
Liverpool
and the reason for them as opposed to city ?

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:11 PM
scherben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
and the reason for them as opposed to city ?
Coz city are shite

Liverpool do have some pedigree

and drove us all mental in the 80s

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:12 PM
believe

this is based purely on where you live. IE i live bang in the middle of manchester and liverpool so for me its the dippers everytime. however, having travelled with reds from the city itself it is clear that city are their most hated. etc.

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:12 PM
shuffle_like_sharpey

as an oot i'd also say liverpool. maybe it's because i don't have to listen to their fans every day but my feelings for city are more of derision/almost pity than pure hatred. they're like an annoying younger brother whereas liverpool genuinly are horrible horrible @#%&!s.

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:17 PM
carlosartorial

I suppose in football terms its Liverpool......but I hate City more.

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:17 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherben
Coz city are shite

Liverpool do have some pedigree

and drove us all mental in the 80s
as I said it's liverpool for me. But on the basis of what you say above will the generation just getting into football and United possibly think of chelsea as our greatest rivals. Surely it's irrelevant that city are shite - especially for local supporters. Regardless of how the other is performing Arse/Spurs, Rangers/Celtic, Bristols City and Rovers etc will always regard each other as their greates rivals. Surely success SHOULDN'T come into it - as long as there are regular matches between the 2.

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:20 PM
scherben

Quote:
as I said it's liverpool for me. But on the basis of what you say above will the generation just getting into football and United possibly think of chelsea as our greatest rivals. Surely it's irrelevant that city are shite - especially for local supporters. Regardless of how the other is performing Arse/Spurs, Rangers/Celtic, Bristols City and Rovers etc will always regard each other as their greates rivals. Surely success SHOULDN'T come into it - as long as there are regular matches between the 2.
I see the point

But look at Forest, they always see Derby, not Notts County, as their main rivals

Liverpool and United are very much alike. Great and famous; Huge followings from all over; wear red; and have shite neighbours

Liverpool hate us more than they hate Everton

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:21 PM
no fun

looking at the wider picture its liverpool, but if you live in manchester you do tend to have a hatred for city

so ...........

biggest rivals - liverpool

most hated - city

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Barca '91

I dont know how anyone can say they 'hate' Citeh like they 'hate' Liverpool...Citeh are there for our amusement

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:24 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca '91
I dont know how anyone can say they 'hate' Citeh like they 'hate' Liverpool...Citeh are there for our amusement
my dad was a blue, and used to give me stick.......i have a pathological hatred of them

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Barca '91

Fair one then I spose

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:26 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca '91
Sometimes I am amused by them. Mostly I just hate them.

Took the boy to a Wacky Warehouse gaff at the weekend as it was pissing it down. Big fat bertie comes in with his two feral kids, all three of them in div tops.....everyday (non) incidents like that are why I £#%&!ing detest/hate them.

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:26 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
looking at the wider picture its liverpool, but if you live in manchester you do tend to have a hatred for city

so ...........

biggest rivals - liverpool

most hated - city
throw this one back to you then. Which of the 2 do you hate to lose to the most ?

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:28 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
throw this one back to you then. Which of the 2 do you hate to lose to the most ?
Losing to City hurts far more than losing to Liverpool.

Unread 30-05-2007, 01:30 PM
MrBishi

I £#%&!ing hate city. I despise the Vermin, but city shade it.
Closed Thread