United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Spiffy

What massive transfers have Liverpool been involved in? Even when at their peak, they never really wowed the world by signing a superstar.

Unread 29-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Cantona's collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
What massive transfers have Liverpool been involved in? Even when at their peak, they never really wowed the world by signing a superstar.
Oh right sorry, if thats what we are going off then perhaps Chelsea are the biggest side in the world

Unread 29-05-2007, 11:39 AM
koppas

I didn't say transfers was important - I just meant as a WHOLE package.

Unread 29-05-2007, 11:45 AM
red red robbo

What I don't understand is, why has there not been a "who do you think is the worlds biggest @#%&!" thread yet

808state

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
I didn't say transfers was important - I just meant as a WHOLE package.
But that's where it gets difficult. Clubs like Liverpool have won vast amounts of trophies, but have never made a 'huge' tansfer. They also have never had vast crowds - even when they were winning everything / boring everyone to death in the 80's, they struggled to fill Anfield. Again, trying to find a club that has 'everything' limits you to a handful of clubs - United, Real Madrid and Milan.

I also think you're concentrating on Europe alone - teams like Boca, Penarol, Al Ahly Cairo - all have virtually everything you have listed as being 'the whole package', but on a smaller scale to the European sides.

koppas

Boca would be up there.

Unread 29-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantona's collar
Oh right sorry, if thats what we are going off then perhaps Chelsea are the biggest side in the world
As has been said, it is part of the package. Liverpool have never been able to go up to their rivals and take their best players off them, like Real did with Figo for example. They've not broken any transfer record for decades as far as I'm aware. It's not the be all and end all but you can't claim to be the world's biggest club unless you have signed the best players in their peak.

Unread 29-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Cantona's collar

Transfers and money count for £#%&! all in accessing how big a club as far as im concerned.
A clubs status is measured by results and fan base.

Quote:
As has been said, it is part of the package. Liverpool have never been able to go up to their rivals and take their best players off them, like Real did with Figo for example. They've not broken any transfer record for decades as far as I'm aware. It's not the be all and end all but you can't claim to be the world's biggest club unless you have signed the best players in their peak.
Thats us out of the running then.

Unread 29-05-2007, 11:48 AM
edwin

Surely Celtic.

No other club could take a billion fans to a UEFA cup final

Unread 29-05-2007, 11:54 AM
The Return of JC

1. Us
2. FC United

Unread 29-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Sloppy

Club foots are the biggest Id say

Unread 29-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

If you're going on trophies, Juve are a bigger club than United.
28 League championships, 9 Italian Cups, 2 European Cups, 1 Cup Winners Cup, 3 UEFA Cups.

Unread 29-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Manchester United, Liverpool and Madrid have the biggest number of fans worldwide, Milan's record in europe is fantastic granted but their fan base doesn't compare to the 3 mentioned.

As for Barcelona, i would be intrested to know why people think they are one of the biggest clubs in the world, yes they are a great side but their European record is pretty poor (as is ours).

Liverpool's european cup record also speaks for itself.
Well actually Barcelona and Juventus are well up there with the number of fans and supporters clubs... but then again, so are Benfica, Rangers and Celtic.

But really what £#%&!ing use is a JCL in Hong Kong ?, what does it really matter who he/she supports on any given day if they're never going to go to the ground and actually support the team...

It's the law of diminishing returns.

Match going red from wherever is worth 3 occasionally attending reds who may buy their kids the latest kits.. who are worth 50 oversees fans of the Daveed Beckingham, Georgie Charlton mould..

Unread 29-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Thats us out of the running then.

Rooney? Veron? Andy Cole? Keane? All these were undoubted stars before we went in for them. OK Veron may have failed but at the time it was a monumental transfer.

Unread 29-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Cantona's collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Well actually Barcelona and Juventus are well up there with the number of fans and supporters clubs... but then again, so are Benfica, Rangers and Celtic.

But really what £#%&!ing use is a JCL in Hong Kong ?, what does it really matter who he/she supports on any given day if they're never going to go to the ground and actually support the team...

It's the law of diminishing returns.

Match going red from wherever is worth 3 occasionally attending reds who may buy their kids the latest kits.. who are worth 50 oversees fans of the Daveed Beckingham, Georgie Charlton mould..
Spot on, the sad thing is our club cares more for the JCL in Hong Kong and the occasional red who spends money in the megastore than it does the fans who go week in week out for the majority of their lives.

Unread 29-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Spot on, the sad thing is our club cares more for the JCL in Hong Kong and the occasional red who spends money in the megastore than it does the fans who go week in week out for the majority of their lives.
True.. but the match going read is seen as "a given".. a fully exploited source of revenue.. JCL's are seen as untapped revenue streams..

It would've been good to have massively boycotted a Cup Match and just given them a gentle reminder not to take the MGR's patronage and therefore dosh for granted.

Unfortunately with new cup-scheme in place, this is no longer an option.

Unread 29-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Cantona's collar

Quote:
Rooney? Veron? Andy Cole? Keane? All these were undoubted stars before we went in for them. OK Veron may have failed but at the time it was a monumental transfer.
Out of those 4 only two of them can be classed as major signings (in the sense that it is meant on this thread)

Are you trying to say that some kid in Madrid was saying "£#%&! me, Man United have just signed Andy Cole"?
Where they £#%&!, no one had heard of Keane or Cole outside of the UK when we signed them.

Unread 29-05-2007, 01:12 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Liverpool had 5 good cup runs, that doesn't make them a big club. Not in my ever so humble opinion.
One of the daftest things I've ever read on this forum. How do you explain their 18 titles then? "Tsk, only 18 good years since they formed...shite!"

Unread 29-05-2007, 01:14 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
As for Barcelona, i would be intrested to know why people think they are one of the biggest clubs in the world, yes they are a great side but their European record is pretty poor
They've reached 5 European Cup finals, winning two of them. Not to mention having won every European trophy. Not a bad European record at all and certainly alot better then ours.

Cruyff, Maradona, the Dream Team and the Camp Nou are just four reasons why Barca are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Unread 29-05-2007, 01:17 PM
poppy

It's easy to define who's the biggest club.

They sell the most shirts.

Simple.
Closed Thread