United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:16 AM
24hr Leavesey

Ribery will cost less than Nani, seems a bigger goal threat from what I've seen and is much more likely to adapt over here. Seems like the sensible option to me.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater
come on resident insider...

no sitting on the fance..

what do you know phil?
I'm not a £#%&!ing insider.

Not heard much. The only bit of info I've had in recent weeks is that Morten Gamst was being looked at and until a few backs back the main striking target was Huntelaar. Only thing holding up a move was Utd flirting with 'other' options. Worries me tbh, a scenario similar to Berbatov last year. We ended up with £#%&! all.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:18 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Ribery will cost less than Nani, seems a bigger goal threat from what I've seen and is much more likely to adapt over here. Seems like the sensible option to me.
I'd have Ribery in a heartbeat.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I don't mind, Ronnie's better on the left for me.
Don't agree with that. I think he's more effective on the right.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:19 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Also, Rooney comes in from the left. Evra supports well, almost like a winger at times.
If Nani is comfortable there too then having two right sided players who are comfortable coming in from the left means there's no real urgency to acquire a strictly left sided winger.

But we do need a winger.
Yup we need a winger, I don't have a huge preference as to who as I've not seen enough of the players linked.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:20 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Don't agree with that. I think he's more effective on the right.
Fair enough, I don't think there's ahuge amount in it either way and he plays fairly central these days whichever side he starts from.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:24 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Yup we need a winger, I don't have a huge preference as to who as I've not seen enough of the players linked.
I think it's slim pickings too.

As opposed to strikers where I can think of 3 or 4 I'd happily have here.

Ribery is the one who stands out, for me.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Fair enough, I don't think there's ahuge amount in it either way and he plays fairly central these days whichever side he starts from.
Oh I know but I just think he looks more effective coming in from the right.

It's just my opinion but I'd like us to sign a wide player who can maintain the width and hug the touchline. It's all well and good cutting inside but it can create problems to the attacking play. Makes it very narrow. We can't always rely on Evra and Gary to make the overlapping run.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:27 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:

It's just my opinion but I'd like us to sign a wide player who can maintain the width and hug the touchline. It's all well and good cutting inside but it can create problems to the attacking play. Makes it very narrow. We can't always rely on Evra and Gary to make the overlapping run.
Stewart Downing?

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Am I the only one who thinks it wouldn't be a good idea to have another flair player who doesn't put in any work tracking back?
I could be way off but I'm presuming that Nani is your typical Portugese winger.

If dreams were to come true I'd like to see Schweinstieger or someone like him at United. Offers more balance and has a good delivery.

This post has been pointless but I just thought I'd share it with y'all.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Am I the only one who thinks it wouldn't be a good idea to have another flair player who doesn't put in any work tracking back?
I could be way off but I'm presuming that Nani is your typical Portugese winger.

If dreams were to come true I'd like to see Schweinstieger or someone like him at United. Offers more balance and has a good delivery.

This post has been pointless but I just thought I'd share it with y'all.
It may be pointless but I do agree with that.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:33 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Trouble with that would be how it would fit in with the current 4-3-3 system? If we signed a wide player isn't he likely to play the left side of a 3 that Rooney currently fills?

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:34 AM
violater

i think we need a winger full stop..

last season we had no one worthy of bringing on as a sub and could change the game..

i know some of you love ole but lets be serious here..

we need a winger and a striker before we need a defensive midfielder....

saf loves to always buy extra players in poisitons we are not desperate in..

when we needed midfielders he was buying lb's and goalkeepers.

no we need a winger and striker we have been chasing another lb and a defensive midfielder.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:35 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
I've never understood why any type of player isn't expected to track back, it's a requirement of modern wing play. For it to be regarded a 'skill' almost is a bit off, it's basically discipline and concentration.

Maybe Fergie wants a young 'un in like Nani to instill tracking back at a young age.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Trouble with that would be how it would fit in with the current 4-3-3 system? If we signed a wide player isn't he likely to play the left side of a 3 that Rooney currently fills?
You could aregue if that's the system we'll be playing we won't sign a winger because Giggsy will rotate with Rooney as one of the three, and Rossi could be further back up.

I think it'll be 4-2-3-1 next season but then you might have a similar problem.

Puerta at Sevilla was being looked at earlier in the season. Graham Hunter did suggest a few weeks back that a move to the Premiership could be on and was being closely followed by a team in the North West.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
I've never understood why any type of player isn't expected to track back, it's a requirement of modern wing play. For it to be regarded a 'skill' almost is a bit off, it's basically discipline and concentration.

Maybe Fergie wants a young 'un in like Nani to instill tracking back at a young age.
Yes but he had Ronaldo at a young age too and Ronaldo just can't be arsed tracking back. I'm not having a dig at Ronnie but if he did put in a bit more hardwork he'd be better off for it.

Figo did the same thing and I'm pretty sure Simbrosa doesn't care unless he has the ball either.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Whalefish

Not many folk rate him but I'd quite like Utd to sign Malouda. Always liked the look of him. Ribery would be my preferred arrival though.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:41 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Not many folk rate him but I'd quite like Utd to sign Malouda. Always liked the look of him. Ribery would be my preferred arrival though.
Dippers are linked with Malouda in the Mirror today.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:42 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Yes but he had Ronaldo at a young age too and Ronaldo just can't be arsed tracking back. I'm not having a dig at Ronnie but if he did put in a bit more hardwork he'd be better off for it.

Figo did the same thing and I'm pretty sure Simbrosa doesn't care unless he has the ball either.
I think Fergie knows this, maybe that is why we tried to get Bale. Convert to a winger and the defensive instincts are already in place.

Unread 29-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Dippers are linked with Malouda in the Mirror today.
They're linked with pretty much everyone atm. I think only Pompey are linked to more players.

Rick Parry has been quoted that they're looking at Simao again.
Closed Thread