United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-05-2007, 10:43 PM
UnitedRoad

Default GOLDEN DAYS STANDING ON UNITED ROAD IN THE 80's

Anyone used to stand at the end near the away fans and get in at about midday just to give them shit about their silly hats, being billy bunter or having ugly birds and that? meet up at the chippy at 11, game of footy on the forecourt til gates open.

Some real legends back then - Big Phil from Stretford, Little Andy, Pete with his maroon leather jacket, Terry the cockney with the big chin, Big Andy who was huge then lost a load of weight and ended up selling badges on Warwick Rd, Little John from Gorton - these were proper reds. Home and Away week in week out. - Port Vale in the League Cup was hilarious, all on a special bus and we catch a copper having a piss in a bush, special trains, Twiggy's coach from Old Trafford for away games, getting chased across a service station bridge on the way back from Norwich in Fergie's second game by an Alsatian.

There was another lad who ran with us who got absolutely crushed by a lorry on his bike and still turned up being held together by metal pins.

I remember Big Phil making up Ooh Ah Paul McGrath at Hull away as well.

Now THAT is a £#%&!ing terrace anthem...These boys made today's self proclaimed 'uber-reds' an embarrasment.

Conga down United Road against Charlton when it was half £#%&!ing empty

£#%&!ing great days. We always won £#%&! all but it was a proper laugh

Unread 22-05-2007, 10:46 PM
denis lawless

and the meat n potato pies in the corner shop over the railway footbridge were fukn superb

Unread 22-05-2007, 10:50 PM
arch stanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedRoad
Anyone used to stand at the end near the away fans and get in at about midday just to give them shit about their silly hats, being billy bunter or having ugly birds and that? meet up at the chippy at 11, game of footy on the forecourt til gates open.

Some real legends back then - Big Phil from Stretford, Little Andy, Pete with his maroon leather jacket, Terry the cockney with the big chin, Big Andy who was huge then lost a load of weight and ended up selling badges on Warwick Rd, Little John from Gorton - these were proper reds. Home and Away week in week out. - Port Vale in the League Cup was hilarious, all on a special bus and we catch a copper having a piss in a bush, special trains, Twiggy's coach from Old Trafford for away games, getting chased across a service station bridge on the way back from Norwich in Fergie's second game by an Alsatian.

There was another lad who ran with us who got absolutely crushed by a lorry on his bike and still turned up being held together by metal pins.

Now THAT is a £#%&!ing terrace anthem...These boys made today's self proclaimed 'uber-reds' an embarrasment.

yes and have got the "coinage" scars to prove it

Unread 22-05-2007, 10:52 PM
punk_football

Quote:

rub it in why don't you,

I have been born a generation to late

Unread 22-05-2007, 10:58 PM
UnitedRoad

Default i remember

john from gorton getting hit by a coin in a game once...he'd ran across United Road and offered out the whole of the Coventry end who he and we all knew wouldn't have been able to hear him (which was FUNNY AS £#%&! - but I guess you had to be there) and a little bit later a coin came flying over and we all saw it and ducked except little John who got @#%&!ted with it, but not too bad...£#%&! me it shouldn't have been funny but we were pissing it...

Unread 22-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Nostalgic Post

United Road was £#%&!in quality

"no-mans land" the pen the dibble used to leave empty between us and the away fans

coins, darts, Yorkie Bars getting launched

Buying your scran through the fencing at half-time

The piss running down the steps to the bottom

United Road was a movement, and it was a pleasure to be part of it until the scouse @#%&!s spoilt it for everyone....

Unread 22-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Prideofalleurope

I am too young

Unread 22-05-2007, 11:25 PM
arch stanton

[quote=UnitedRoad;338279]Anyone used to stand at the end near the away fans and get in at about midday just to give them shit about their silly hats, being billy bunter or having ugly birds and that? meet up at the chippy at 11, game of footy on the forecourt til gates open.

come a come a come a come a come a united road ,united road[united roaaad/QUOTE]

Unread 22-05-2007, 11:32 PM
acanofcant

We are the scoreboard, the scoreboard paddock.

Unread 22-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acanofcant
We are the scoreboard, the scoreboard paddock.
Splitters!

Unread 22-05-2007, 11:37 PM
redsouthy

Those were the days my friend.

I feel a song coming on

Unread 22-05-2007, 11:40 PM
UnitedRoad

Default i'm really hoping

some of the other lads from those days will see this and remember some of the other stories and mad things about that time

Unread 22-05-2007, 11:46 PM
acanofcant

Remember playing Newcastle they only brought about 300, paddock all singing when the boat comes in, Geordies all pissing themselves laughing.

Unread 23-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
john from gorton getting hit by a coin in a game once...he'd ran across United Road and offered out the whole of the Coventry end who he and we all knew wouldn't have been able to hear him (which was FUNNY AS £#%&! - but I guess you had to be there) and a little bit later a coin came flying over and we all saw it and ducked except little John who got @#%&!ted with it, but not too bad...£#%&! me it shouldn't have been funny but we were pissing it...

WUM

Unread 23-05-2007, 12:36 AM
UnitedRoad

Default no mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy
WUM
100% true..

any way, SKAG TRENDY THOUGHT HE KNEW JUST WHAT TO DO , I WAS ONLY 17 AND I WAS OUT SCREWING THE BREW

Unread 23-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Who bought Maxi "Chipmunk" crisps from the sellers wandering round the perimeter of the pitch?

Gobbing on the photographers behind the goal (where the £#%&! have they all gone?)

"I'll meet you outside the Souvenir Shop". (Last words after the pub on Friday night)

Somehow "I'll meet you in the Evolution Lounge at the North West Quadrant for sushi" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Unread 23-05-2007, 09:07 AM
puressence

utd rd ..

big andy do you still see him ..

and utd rd was £#%&!ing mint , for those jcls you dont know what you missed

Unread 23-05-2007, 09:12 AM
shyteds

Having a beer AND watching the game.

Use to clear a space then ask the opposing fans if they would like to “Fill the gap, fill the gap”

Anyone remember the game where you had a few empty pens between United road and the away fans which then had a load of Celtic fans brought in. Can’t remember who we played that day but it looked bizarre as hell.

The kids sat at the front, the dads with their mates not to far away.

The mad rush when a pen near the away fans would be opened to united fans.

Unread 23-05-2007, 11:30 AM
HarkNowHear

Smiler smiler give us a wave

aaah the memories

Unread 23-05-2007, 11:38 AM
UnitedRoad

Default big Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
utd rd ..

big andy do you still see him ..

and utd rd was £#%&!ing mint , for those jcls you dont know what you missed
I haven't seen him in years...First time I saw him after he'd lost all that weight I thought he had £#%&!ing cancer or something. It was unreal. He used be huge and then I think he spent a Summer in Greece or something and just went on a super diet, literally must have lost 10 stone. Lovely lad. Him and little john had a bit of a set to on a twiggy coach once which was hilarious - john was pretty game but big andy was the size of a house! jesus
Closed Thread