United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-03-2021, 01:44 PM
Tronics

step in the right direction but disappointed with the personnel chosen

Murtough has been at the club since 2013 and this is genuinely the first times i’ve ever heard his name, which is concerning. he’s clearly a company man, so he’s not going to ruffle any feathers or push for anything new. which is what we needed.

i love Fletcher as a player but why is he anywhere near this role? what credentials does he have for it? why isn’t he going out there and making a name for himself first, getting some experience before being given such a seemingly massive job? it doesn’t make any sense

maybe i’m in the minority, but we are Man United we should be aiming to hire the best in class in these positions, not giving away “jobs to the boys” because it’s convenient and no-one else would be willing to work under this structure.

i just don’t get how we could be linked with the likes of Monchi and Paul Mitchell but then end up with these two...

Unread 10-03-2021, 01:47 PM
Neo

Football

Van Der Sar was such an obvious and realistic choice.

Did he even get an interview?

Unread 10-03-2021, 01:50 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Van Der Sar was such an obvious and realistic choice.

Did he even get an interview?
Baring in mind van der sar went to university to study the role and educate himself about it . Darren fletcher on the other hand spent 3 months as academy coach was moved to first team then a couple months later moved to the board room.

Matt judge and no doubt Ed Woodward are still on transfers and contracts. The fact that he has been here since 2013 and only just appointed as DOF speaks volumes seeing as they’ve spent the best part of 2 years looking for one. If he was that good as an obvious choice he would have been appointed long ago. He is a yes man for Ed Woodward and the glazers

Unread 10-03-2021, 01:52 PM
Tronics

oh and Matt Judge is still involved?!?’

come on, we are not a serious club and never will until the Glazers leave and that doesn’t look like it will happen anytime soon, £#%&!ing hell

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:06 PM
puressence

Paging tronics /marlo

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:14 PM
92ToBury

Gives someone for Woodward to sack without risking upsetting the Ole cart.

Promotion from within without truly stating how far his remit should be.

Should be a simple matter of splitting football and brand management.

Woowar gets brand management, a DoF gets the football management side, looking after day-to-day operations at both Carrington and Old Trafford, with some overlap with the merchandising side at both venues. Biggest problem is that Woowar is happy where he is, lording it comfortably out of his depth.

While Woodward remains as overall head and the Glazers remain, things won't change unfortunately.

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Ronny

I for one am cautiously optimistic, both have football backgrounds and should have the trust of both the football side and financial side.
The club has always had the money letting accountants make the football descions have got us in this mess.
Woodward has to trust the football side this summer.
Our dealings could go a long way to returning us to the top.

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:25 PM
utd99

This place ffs.

‘I have no idea what’s going on, but I object to it in the most strenuous manner.’

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:30 PM
Cream

Hahahaha.

Yes men Utd.

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:34 PM
utd99

Anything that places more distance between Woodward and a football pitch I’m in favour of.

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:41 PM
ZiggyStardust

It’s a bit worrying that after extensive search the best candidates were actually already at the club
Suspicion of cheap yes men but I’ve always liked Fletcher when he’s been a pundit
Seems to know what he’s talking about

Never really heard of this Murtough before but at least he’s had football administrative roles in the past
Let’s see how he gets on but at least he’s not a £#%&!ing agent like who Arsenal now have overseeing the football side of their club

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:43 PM
Chris Quayd

Mbappe incoming

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:45 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
This place ffs.

‘I have no idea what’s going on, but I object to it in the most strenuous manner.’
tbh two roles where we are supposed to be scouting the world for football talent, and one has already been here for 8 years and the other hasn't played or coached at any other club than this one.

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:47 PM
utd99

Yeah, ‘cause I heard Mbappe and his agent are looking for assurances on who the DoF is and exactly what what their responsibilities are before making a final determination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
tbh two roles where we are supposed to be scouting the world for football talent, and one has already been here for 8 years and the other hasn't played or coached at any other club than this one.
So what? We have no idea what their roles are, how they work or what they can add/improve outside of what the Mail tell us, yet we’ve already determined it’s a fail. People do realise I hope that someone hired at the same time as Moyes was manager doesn’t actually make them Moyes right?

Too many people have fallen in love with this DoF job title without knowing anything about what a DoF actually does, or how they interact harmoniously with a manager.

Getting Woody away from footballers is a good start imo.

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:55 PM
windy waffles

What shit appointments.

No change then...

Jobs for the boys.

Unread 10-03-2021, 02:57 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
What shit appointments.

No change then...

Jobs for the boys.
Jesus.

Why not just make Raiola DoF.

Unread 10-03-2021, 03:00 PM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
This place ffs.

Absolutely. Tbph I don't even know what a director of football is, I think he identifies transfer targets. As for Fletchers role as technical director, nope, don't care and not a £#%&!ing clue do I have either. All I know about him is he randomly shits himself.

But I'm outraged anyway. Disgraceful appointments.

Unread 10-03-2021, 03:03 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Great. We've promoted the team chauffeur to Director of Football.

Unread 10-03-2021, 03:13 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny
I for one am cautiously optimistic, both have football backgrounds and should have the trust of both the football side and financial side.
The club has always had the money letting accountants make the football descions have got us in this mess.
Woodward has to trust the football side this summer.
Our dealings could go a long way to returning us to the top.
Yep

Step in the right direction imo.

Unread 10-03-2021, 03:15 PM
tatty

Now we have appointed one you'd hope it will become a fixture, unless Nagelsmann prefers not to work with one.
Closed Thread