United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-03-2023, 01:00 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
I dont think they do despise them TBF. Most clubs in the last league they were in hardly begrudged them as they recognised that they'd love to be in the same position. OK they wanted them out of their division to stop skewing it but they pretty much wished them well.

Also - how's it cheating?

Its only like a local businessman £#%&!ing the cash in the old days, its just we live in a more global world.

How else is the kind of upward mobility going to happen? Do lower league clubs not get a fairytale shot?
Could apply that logic to city...

Unread 28-03-2023, 01:04 PM
est.1878

No game tension reaching a peak here

NGT™

Permission to use under license

Unread 28-03-2023, 01:13 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Could apply that logic to city...
You could indeed - and it's the argument City fans use. I would say its slightly different, in that:

Wreham owners dont have a questionable human rights record and are not 'state/sports washing'.

City have, depsite this amazing lottery ticket win, still cheated.

Unread 28-03-2023, 01:14 PM
guerreiro

Fergie in a funny skit with Mac and Deadpool. What’s not to like about that?

Unread 28-03-2023, 01:24 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
You could indeed - and it's the argument City fans use. I would say its slightly different, in that:

Wreham owners dont have a questionable human rights record and are not 'state/sports washing'.

City have, depsite this amazing lottery ticket win, still cheated.
Also, afaik, Wrexham haven't been signing massively inflated sponsorship deals with companies theyalready own or setting up third party companies to double pay their players and managers.

I can only wish Wrexham well. Why not?

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:00 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Also, afaik, Wrexham haven't been signing massively inflated sponsorship deals with companies theyalready own or setting up third party companies to double pay their players and managers.

I can only wish Wrexham well. Why not?
They might not own it, but there's no way TikTok would sponsor a National League side if they weren't owned by a pair of Hollywood actors tbf

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:05 PM
dunk

Aviation Gin is their main sponsor too, owned by Ryan Reynolds.

The only thing they’re guilty of so far is using their status and fame to push the club on, which I don’t think you can blame or hate them for. Every club below the Prem wishes they had similar owners, and they’ve been pretty smart about it tbf.

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:08 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
They might not own it, but there's no way TikTok would sponsor a National League side if they weren't owned by a pair of Hollywood actors tbf

There's also no way Manchester United football club would play a team of that status in America either but.....

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:12 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Aviation Gin is their main sponsor too, owned by Ryan Reynolds.

The only thing they’re guilty of so far is using their status and fame to push the club on, which I don’t think you can blame or hate them for. Every club below the Prem wishes they had similar owners, and they’ve been pretty smart about it tbf.
From what I've seen, they seem decent blokes, but they're routinely paying players wages at least 2 leagues above where they are. It's disingenuous for people to say that this doesn't give them an unfair advantage that they wouldn't have ordinarily had. Notts County are doing very well to be keeping up with them tbf.

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:16 PM
dunk

Which they can do because they’re generating more money due to raising the profile of the club.

Unless they’re obviously cooking the books as the noisey neighbours have since day one, difficult to complain. Every club that climbs the leagues does it by paying better and getting better players than the rest

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:17 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

There's also no way Manchester United football club would play a team of that status in America either but.....
Yeah they’re definitely not the ”status” of Real Salt Lake or San Jose Earthquakes.

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:18 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Unfair mate. Heard Fergie is currently recording a promo video for the exhibition game v Dorking Wanderers in Tokyo

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:26 PM
puressence

NEVILLE AND HIS CREW HAVING BEEN DOING THE WREXHAM MODEL FOR TEN YEARS MUST HAVE MISSED THE OUTRAGE MEMO THEN ..

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:29 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
NEVILLE AND HIS CREW HAVING BEEN DOING THE WREXHAM MODEL FOR TEN YEARS MUST HAVE MISSED THE OUTRAGE MEMO THEN ..
You must've done as I've got exactly the same opinion about them, too. And Fylde, lower down.

I bet Neville is fuming at the publicity Wrexham get compared to Salford though

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:43 PM
Patty_b

Like the video, agree with what others have said about what they're doing not being a great thing in the grand scheme of things. Nothing against them personally though, they seem like decent guys.

Also, didn't Wrexham get messed about with another previous owner that almost killed the club?

Swings and roundabouts.

Unread 28-03-2023, 02:50 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
Of course, but it's a club that has its own TV show. That's going to attract sponsors. It's still not cheating,

And surely they pay their players what they can in order to get more success? We have a wage bill nearly 10x that of Brentford.

Wrexham have won the lottery no doubt and I can understand other clubs wishing they'd won it instead. But this is a world away from what's happening at City.

Unread 28-03-2023, 03:14 PM
Fat Al

I'll have to check the family archives but I seem to recall that my great-great grandparents were born in Ruabon, which is a few miles from Wrexham.
I reckon that's good enough to get me a seat on the bandwagon.

Unread 28-03-2023, 03:17 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
I'll have to check the family archives but I seem to recall that my great-great grandparents were born in Ruabon, which is a few miles from Wrexham.
I reckon that's good enough to get me a seat on the bandwagon.
Mark Hughes is from there, I used to go at site near there Chirk, had my dinner at a castle every day...
Wore a burger king crown

Unread 28-03-2023, 04:25 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Like the video, agree with what others have said about what they're doing not being a great thing in the grand scheme of things. Nothing against them personally though, they seem like decent guys.

Also, didn't Wrexham get messed about with another previous owner that almost killed the club?

Swings and roundabouts.
They've had a few awful owners but yeah, one tried to sell everything to do with the football club and wanted to build hotels or houses where the Racecourse is. It's not like they were spending madly for years and then it caught up with them, it was the total opposite.

Unread 28-03-2023, 06:40 PM
ragnorak

enjoyed the show and looking forward to season 2. i give as much of a shit about the haters as i am sure the wrexham fans do. love always sunny and mythic quest is excellent as well and the two owners do seem to genuinely want to leave the club in a better position, whats not to love?

that bit about the birds above did put me in mind of these:

Closed Thread