United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:13 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
Go on keysie, tell'em
Keysie

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Delighted for you, mate. As I have said a couple of times since the game, it's all about opinions. That's why we're here.
U ok hun? x

Quote:
but Mourinho has gone from being a dubious prospect last winter to having unwavering belief for 95% of people, who wouldn't have anyone else.

I think that's called getting behind the manager of the club you support given the fact he's been in the job less than a year. Pretty sure that's what you were asking of people when LVG was at the helm and boring us all to death...?

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Bunker Buster

Siders absolutely burying whip here.....

Not nice to read...

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Siders absolutely burying whip here.....

Not nice to read...
buried.... check user cp.....

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
U ok hun? x

I think that's called getting behind the manager of the club you support given the fact he's been in the job less than a year. Pretty sure that's what you were asking of people when LVG was at the helm and boring us all to death...?
I'm not talking about getting behind him. That's for at the game. More just having total belief, despite the fact we're still quite average.

I genuinely wasn't arsed if you 'got behind' LvG pal. Sorry if that's a bit of a blow etc.

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Whip Hubley

Question

Quote:
I'm not talking about getting behind him. That's for at the game. More just having total belief, despite the fact we're still quite average.

I genuinely wasn't arsed if you 'got behind' LvG pal. Sorry if that's a bit of a blow etc.
why would I be arsed if you were arsed if I was arsed? odd

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
why would I be arsed if you were arsed if I was arsed? odd
You said I was asking people to get behind LvG. Don't recall doing so. Each to their own etc. Saffers spent all last season blaming LvG for every single thing, to the point that he became a huge Rooney fan after years of slagging him and to this day idolises Di Maria.

He's still my dawg

Game of opinions imo.

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
You said I was asking people to get behind LvG. Don't recall doing so. Each to their own etc. Saffers spent all last season blaming LvG for every single thing, to the point that he became a huge Rooney fan after years of slagging him and to this day idolises Di Maria.

He's still my dawg

Game of opinions imo.
True that

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
It was, even the now mythical opening minutes when we were pressing was nothing particular impressive. We weren't pressing to impose our style on Chelsea, we just wanted to disrupt, and stop them. Anybody would think we were a championship level team going up against a mighty opponent, it was disheartening.
I think there's an extent to which a high press is simplified a bit, perhaps because traditionally here defensive teams tend to just sit off almost completely. If you're looking to win it back as a team because you want to dominate the game in the opposition half, it's a proactive method. But if you have a low block and always ensure you keep a defensive shape and cover, while organising the pressing with three or four players, it's often more a disruptive tactic. When playing a narrow back four and wing-backs, it's usually the latter.

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
I think there's an extent to which a high press is simplified a bit, perhaps because traditionally here defensive teams tend to just sit off almost completely. If you're looking to win it back as a team because you want to dominate the game in the opposition half, it's a proactive method. But if you have a low block and always ensure you keep a defensive shape and cover, while organising the pressing with three or four players, it's often more a disruptive tactic. When playing a narrow back four and wing-backs, it's usually the latter.
Which given the result last time there, their form, our form, the fact it was a knockout cup game, our history there and various other factors was a perfectly reasonable strategy

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Keysie
Big Keyseh. Dick The Key. Keez. Always liked him

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:56 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Which given the result last time there, their form, our form, the fact it was a knockout cup game, our history there and various other factors was a perfectly reasonable strategy
Well we went cautious last time, albeit with not as many natural defenders. Having negated Liverpool at Anfield we went to Chelsea with a similarly defensive organisation, often dropping to the back six. We just managed to £#%&! it up within a minute by giving them a goal

Previous two seasons we went to Stamford Bridge on the front foot. And were very lucky - as everyone agreed - to not get better results. But tbh what disappointed me more was that with ten men we abandoned any attack. It's a cup tie - you might as well have a bit of a go.

Unread 15-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
But tbh what disappointed me more was that with ten men we abandoned any attack. It's a cup tie - you might as well have a bit of a go.
Against the best counter attacking side in the land, who are specifically set up that way? I'm all for a good attack pal but personally I think that would have been absolutely disasterous. I would have liked to see more in the last 10 or 15 minutes, absolutely, but I think most of the players were absolutely £#%&!ed by that stage. We've played about twice the amount of games they have in the last few weeks.

Unread 15-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Well we went cautious last time, albeit with not as many natural defenders. Having negated Liverpool at Anfield we went to Chelsea with a similarly defensive organisation, often dropping to the back six. We just managed to £#%&! it up within a minute by giving them a goal

Previous two seasons we went to Stamford Bridge on the front foot. And were very lucky - as everyone agreed - to not get better results. But tbh what disappointed me more was that with ten men we abandoned any attack. It's a cup tie - you might as well have a bit of a go.
nonsense. absolute drivel.

united were in russia 3 days earlier and went down to 10 men after half an hour pal. the fa cup was low priority compared to the game tomorrow night. and we had no fit strikers. none. zip. £#%&! knows how rashford put such an unbelievable effort in. and mhiki was very wisely sacrificed the second the game changed to a situation where he'd have to chase it.

from that moment it was about maintaining shape and hoping to hit on the counter. when kante scored did you seriously think we should open up a bit and force the team into chasing up and down the pitch ffs? of course you didn't. stop being ridiculous.

Unread 16-03-2017, 08:23 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

united were in russia 3 days earlier and went down to 10 men after half an hour pal. the fa cup was low priority compared to the game tomorrow night. and we had no fit strikers. none. zip. £#%&! knows how rashford put such an unbelievable effort in. and mhiki was very wisely sacrificed the second the game changed to a situation where he'd have to chase it.

from that moment it was about maintaining shape and hoping to hit on the counter. when kante scored did you seriously think we should open up a bit and force the team into chasing up and down the pitch ffs? of course you didn't. stop being ridiculous.
Hoping to hit them on the counter with six at the back, Fellaini and a half dead Pogba? Good luck with that

Quote:
Against the best counter attacking side in the land, who are specifically set up that way? I'm all for a good attack pal but personally I think that would have been absolutely disasterous. I would have liked to see more in the last 10 or 15 minutes, absolutely, but I think most of the players were absolutely £#%&!ed by that stage. We've played about twice the amount of games they have in the last few weeks.
So many excuses about the opposition being superior. Eddie Howe went into spoil mode with ten men at OT but at least he was keeping two forwards on to give a proper threat going the other way. And that was when he actually had a result to defend. I think Mou was just into full avoid embarrassment as priority mode.

Unread 16-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Hoping to hit them on the counter with six at the back, Fellaini and a half dead Pogba? Good luck with that

So many excuses about the opposition being superior. Eddie Howe went into spoil mode with ten men at OT but at least he was keeping two forwards on to give a proper threat going the other way. And that was when he actually had a result to defend. I think Mou was just into full avoid embarrassment as priority mode.

You should give it a try, pal

Unread 16-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Brave effort and out of this world tactics if LvG done it though....

Unread 16-03-2017, 10:16 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
You should give it a try, pal
Appreciate your recent attempts at post coaching pal, but you wanna do me a favour and kinda...

Unread 16-03-2017, 10:18 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Six at the back while losing. Nice.
Quote:
Madrid was still very much a counter attacking side. And a very very good one. But even then his time at Madrid is marked by being overly defensive in Europe in ties that knocked them out against Lyon and Dortmund. His big game pragmatism had worsened.

The FA Cup had to take lesser importance given how the schedule £#%&!ed us this week. But watching United with six at the back will never work for me. I expect to see it again before the season is out, but I just hope next season with even more talent it might change. Not counting on it, though.
Quote:
Yep, it's an issue of personal preference.

Six at the back will never do it for me. What's worse is that nobody covering the game is surprised either.
Quote:
It's not bias you nutcase I don't like Mouronhos style because I don't like stuff like six at the back. So when he does it and I say that's the type of shit I don't like, it's not resorting to a predetermined dislike. It's him doing the stuff I don't like.

This is a bizarre convo.
Quote:
The key point you're missing is that I don't like or dislike either of them.

I judge both, as I always have done, on their approach to the game. And given Van Gaal is 65 and Mourinho 54 I'm not sure why there'd be much change in the perception of either just because they've been managing United.

If LvG had played six across the back for the third time in a big game it'd have broken my heart
Quote:
You understand him doing it. I don't. Like I said to Tronics it's really just a matter of opinion. I never want to see it. We have been quite ropey for a while now in terms of performance level but I've not been going after the manager. But pulling out the 7-man defence is too much.
Quote:
I'm not judging what I'm seeing in front of me? Ok now your argument is making more sense to me. Before you were telling me that what I was seeing was acceptable or understandable. NoW you're telling me it didn't happen.

Unfortunately I did see six across the back and playing for a 1-0 defeat second half.

Like I say, if you are cool with that then fine. My only dispute is you suggesting my not liking it is inconsistency. I have never liked it and never will. You do your own ting pal.

Believe it or not I'm walking and typing. I think I'm doing well tbh
Quote:
With the right players, absolutely. Guardiola is showing that it works going forward in this league. They're electric.

But I haven't been criticising our approach this season. Mou's style will never really be my thing in all probability, but tonight we went six across the back and tried to foul Hazard out of the game. It's up to you what your take is, but I'll never big that up.

Not sure where that is tbh. It is more Greenwich or Lee side?
Quote:
They scored 50 goals between them last season.

You'd have loved Pip Neville last night pal. "I don't see how United can possibly score. They need penalties."

Glad we sacked off all the negativity around the gaf, though

United played that match on the front foot. City came to spoil. Unlucky not to win it when we hit the bar late on.

Far more respestable than six at the back and taking turns to kick the oppo best player, tbf.

Weird because I was just out with three reds who all thought last night was quite embarrassing.

I don't come on here for reality, mate
Quote:
Quote:

Anybody know how many we (apparently) played in defence the other night? ffs

Unread 16-03-2017, 10:29 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Anybody know how many we (apparently) played in defence the other night? ffs

You're not slipping that little one in there, God love ya.