United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Unread 26-05-2022, 08:06 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Is an armed optic how you want your children to grow during their education ?
It gets kids used to being around guns and instils the narrative that they need them to be safe. Some people would see that as a big win

Unread 26-05-2022, 08:19 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Is an armed optic how you want your children to grow during their education ?
I suppose depending on the state, a lot of those kids would have already grown up around guns anyway so it may not be such a shock to them to see armed guards at schools.

Not that it's a good idea in any way, shape or form. It's staggering that it's got as far as it has that people are proposing it as a solution

Unread 26-05-2022, 08:39 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I suppose depending on the state, a lot of those kids would have already grown up around guns anyway so it may not be such a shock to them to see armed guards at schools.

Not that it's a good idea in any way, shape or form. It's staggering that it's got as far as it has that people are proposing it as a solution
It's already happening in a lot of places isn't it?

Unread 26-05-2022, 08:40 AM
dinger

American schools should have one entrance / exit only, steel mesh on all windows & pillboxes either side of the entrance manned by good guys with guns 24/7 , even during school holidays. 'Murica f*** Yeah!

Unread 26-05-2022, 08:54 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Never mind armed guards or even arming teachers, ARM THE CHILDREN!

This is a serious view of extremely influential lobbyists and elected representatives

What passes for American 'culture' is a plague on the planet.

Unread 26-05-2022, 12:23 PM
atticusgrinch

After Hungerford, semi-auto rifles bigger than .2 banned.

After Dunblane, handguns banned.

These nutters have a Dunblane or Hungerford every week.

The US is broken. This is what happens when you leave the empire before being civilised properly.

Unread 26-05-2022, 12:37 PM
My Name is Heath

Getting pelters on Facebook for daring to suggest Americans should question why this happens chiefly in America

So far I’ve had comments re:

1) supporting abortion
2) I’d be speaking German if not for Americans - I replied to that comment in German
3) stay in my lane because I’m not ‘murican
4) schools need armed guards and if only they’d had an armed team at the school etc etc.

Crazy. I didn’t even mention banning guns / changing the constitution etc. i just said something has to change otherwise this Danse Macabre will just go on and on.

Also….if you have armed guards at schools …won’t the crazies just move onto shooting at sports events, libraries, cinemas or wherever there are no armed guards? By that logic won’t every public place have armed guards?

Would never visit US. Up there with Libya etc on places I’d avoid.

Unread 26-05-2022, 12:41 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Getting pelters on Facebook for daring to suggest Americans should question why this happens chiefly in America

1) supporting abortion
2) I’d be speaking German if not for Americans - I replied to that comment in German
4) schools need armed guards and if only they’d had an armed team at the school etc etc.

Crazy. I didn’t even mention banning guns / changing the constitution etc. i just said something has to change otherwise this Danse Macabre will just go on and on.

Also….if you have armed guards at schools …won’t the crazies just move onto shooting at sports events, libraries, cinemas or wherever there are no armed guards? By that logic won’t every public place have armed guards?

Or they turned up expecting armed guards.

The nutcase that went on the racist rampage the other week came up against an armed guard. That didn't do much good.

Unread 26-05-2022, 12:47 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Or they turned up expecting armed guards.

The nutcase that went on the racist rampage the other week came up against an armed guard. That didn't do much good.
It’s baffling - and the logic really doesn’t stand up. Life isn’t a Liam Neeson movie.

Also… the stay in your lane comments. Has any country stuck its beak into the affairs of another as much as America in the last 100 years?

It really is the country with the greatest things on the planet (NASA is peak human imho) and some of the worst.

Unread 26-05-2022, 01:16 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
After Hungerford, semi-auto rifles bigger than .2 banned.

After Dunblane, handguns banned.

These nutters have a Dunblane or Hungerford every week.

The US is broken. This is what happens when you leave the empire before being civilised properly.
This.

It's systemic over 250 years or so. Religion. Guns. Big Pharma. Politics. Would take generations to fix. They won't even try though. A woman on Fox today saying he solution is to get more God into people's lives. The decline will continue. The deeper you examine, the more it feels like the last dregs of a civilisation fighting to find the bottom. The end of America.

Unread 26-05-2022, 01:28 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
This.

It's systemic over 250 years or so. Religion. Guns. Big Pharma. Politics. Would take generations to fix. They won't even try though. A woman on Fox today saying he solution is to get more God into people's lives. The decline will continue. The deeper you examine, the more it feels like the last dregs of a civilisation fighting to find the bottom. The end of America.
Put simply: it’s a good idea that got out of hand.

Unread 26-05-2022, 01:35 PM
Buck

The abortion debate over there is really quite bizarre to watch from the outside. It's not a topic of controversy anywhere else. You can personally disapprove of it and maybe some politicians if they had their personal way would try to change the law over here but it would not be possible for them to do so. Yet for a sizeable amount of people over there it is a single issue vote clincher. I was reading about it a few weeks ago and how it has been driven by evangelicals which makes me wonder how they reconcile that with the fact abortion is legal in Israel.

Unread 26-05-2022, 01:57 PM
Fat Al

Quote:

1) supporting abortion

The shooter was in the school for between 40 mins to an hour before the Police were able to "contain" him. Trained Police officers, not some Rent-A-Cop.

Unread 26-05-2022, 02:05 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Put simply: it’s a good idea that got out of hand.
Yes. Or a good idea that failed to keep up with the times.

The second amendment makes perfect sense as a defence against tyranny when the army is carrying muskets. Not so much with drones and nuclear warheads. Now it's just an excuse to own as many guns as you'd like.

And yet there are those in power - including on the Supreme Court - that insist the Constitution be interpreted literally in it's original context.

Unread 26-05-2022, 02:19 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
The shooter was in the school for between 40 mins to an hour before the Police were able to "contain" him. Trained Police officers, not some Rent-A-Cop.
It’s incredible. I blame Hollywood. They honestly seem to think every other dude is Liam Neeson or The Rock.

Unread 26-05-2022, 02:37 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Yes. Or a good idea that failed to keep up with the times.

The second amendment makes perfect sense as a defence against tyranny when the army is carrying muskets. Not so much with drones and nuclear warheads. Now it's just an excuse to own as many guns as you'd like.

And yet there are those in power - including on the Supreme Court - that insist the Constitution be interpreted literally in it's original context.

Unread 26-05-2022, 02:39 PM
jem

Quote:
you'd be speaking better english, if not for americans.

I suspect your witzig response was wasted on them. I have an american colleague with a german name he can't even pronounce correctly.

Unread 26-05-2022, 02:59 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
you'd be speaking better english, if not for americans.

I suspect your witzig response was wasted on them. I have an american colleague with a german name he can't even pronounce correctly.

Colleague? Underling surely

I’m still getting pelters on FB but now I just thank them for their service and it takes the heat out of things.

Unread 26-05-2022, 03:53 PM
92ToBury

Big pharma, what could possibly go wrong?

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom...misusing-them/

Unread 26-05-2022, 04:55 PM
Zorg

If they didn't act after Sandy Hook, they won't act now. The fact that large numbers of people apparently started believing in some sort of bizarre hoax with actors playing the parents... I mean Christ alive. It's just beyond mental.
So an 18 year old buying machine guns and slaughtering children isn't going to do a damn thing to change their minds. It would mean Americans accepting that they have a particular problem no other country on Earth does.