United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Money

Unread 14-03-2021, 11:36 PM
n48

My basic understanding is that there's value in certain crypto currencies because of the technology behind them whereby they can facilitate certain improvements in financial transactions. There's plenty of balls behind it too I admit.

Unread 15-03-2021, 02:04 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He says the funniest things ever about nfts in this vid

https://youtu.be/2WZtaFQXGZQ

I can't spoil it. It's one of the funniest things I've heard in years and is funnier if you heard the first video.
"JOSE, YOU'RE AN NFT NOW, GO!!"

Unread 19-03-2021, 09:35 PM
armchair

Unread 01-05-2021, 09:01 AM
Switching Off

Disaster girl just made half a mill

https://gizmodo.com/disaster-girl-fi...erv-1846772804

Unread 01-05-2021, 09:35 AM
waynes ear's

Overly Attached Girlfriend made more

Unread 01-05-2021, 09:37 AM
Ethers

I canít get my head around the concept of this tbh. Just sounds like a load of balls.

Unread 01-05-2021, 12:45 PM
utd99

Someone somewhere is getting scammed again. Seems to be a theme with the next generation that theyíre paying real money for things that have no real value outside of perception. Either that or itís money laundering.

Unread 01-05-2021, 01:02 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Someone somewhere is getting scammed again. Seems to be a theme with the next generation that theyíre paying real money for things that have no real value outside of perception. Either that or itís money laundering.
Not sure how that can be pinned on the 'next generation'. It's a pretty accurate description of Art and many other things that have existed for centuries.

Unread 01-05-2021, 08:14 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Not sure how that can be pinned on the 'next generation'. It's a pretty accurate description of Art and many other things that have existed for centuries.
real Art is real pictures, they have a value, albeit not one you may agree with... but it is real and people pay for it . NFT stuff is bizarre, does it even exist?

Unread 01-05-2021, 08:15 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
real Art is real pictures, they have a value, albeit not one you may agree with... but it is real and people pay for it . NFT stuff is bizarre, does it even exist?
as far as i know there's some sort of digital signature in it that proves it's original or something.

Unread 01-05-2021, 08:22 PM
armchair

Americans have always loved this kind of thing. Baseball cards. Nintendo cards. They love collectables. I think the current nfts are bullshit but they are just the first itineration of a concept. How much do people pay for skins in games? nfts are a way to own a limited edition of a virtual item. Say there was an ALL-TIME GREAT Maradona available to but in fifa buy only a small number available. A rare pokemon. etc etc. It's still evolving.

Money has always been about rarity. That's why we had the gold standard even though gold isn't that useful.

Unread 01-05-2021, 09:21 PM
tatty

I didn't get the internet or crypto when they first started so i'm wary of mocking NFT's but I just don't see it.

Seems like a money pit that even a 17th-Century Dutchman would laugh at.

Unread 01-05-2021, 09:22 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I didn't get the internet or crypto when they first started so i'm wary of mocking NFT's but I just don't see it.

Seems like a money pit that even a 17th-Century Dutchman would laugh at.
There Never Was a Real Tulip Fever
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ver-180964915/

Unread 05-05-2021, 02:27 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Americans have always loved this kind of thing. Baseball cards. Nintendo cards. They love collectables. I think the current nfts are bullshit but they are just the first itineration of a concept. How much do people pay for skins in games? nfts are a way to own a limited edition of a virtual item. Say there was an ALL-TIME GREAT Maradona available to but in fifa buy only a small number available. A rare pokemon. etc etc. It's still evolving.

Money has always been about rarity. That's why we had the gold standard even though gold isn't that useful.
While youíre right that those things donít exists in the real world, you can at least see the utility or perceived value, even if itís only within the realm of a video game, plus theyíre usually a few bucks. Do these things have any utility or exclusivity at all? What are these hundreds of thousands of real world dollars actually securing?

Unread 05-05-2021, 05:16 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
While youíre right that those things donít exists in the real world, you can at least see the utility or perceived value, even if itís only within the realm of a video game, plus theyíre usually a few bucks. Do these things have any utility or exclusivity at all? What are these hundreds of thousands of real world dollars actually securing?
Fantasy sports online. If you have common cards for every player but then rare cards that score bonus points, they become more sought after. Sorare.com are already doing it.

Unread 18-05-2021, 08:37 AM
Switching Off

Long read but real world use case for NFTs.

https://adnanzzz.medium.com/an-altco...e-8e99e49514e2

Unread 18-05-2021, 09:52 AM
Patty_b

I still think it's a bit stupid, but thinking about it it's not really a new thing.

If I add up the value of my Steam, PSN, Nintendo and any other game libraries I have then it's a stupid amount of money. And I don't actually own a single thing in any of them, I just have a license to download and play the game, and that license can be revoked at any time. At least with NFT's someone would have the exlusive ownership of the original.

Maybe one day if the internet get heavily regulated then anyone with exclusive ownership of an NFT would have the right to persue anyone reproducing it without their permission.

Unread 22-05-2021, 02:32 PM
utd99

Scams have taken on a whole new dimension since the advent of the internet.

Unread 26-05-2021, 06:47 AM
waynes ear's

it appears Gamestop are getting into NFT's

https://nft.gamestop.com/

Unread 26-05-2021, 08:19 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
it appears Gamestop are getting into NFT's

https://nft.gamestop.com/

If anybody has that sort of expertise they should be getting on to United, or Raiola. Once they start getting into it theyll be a lot of money to make.