United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Money
Reply
 
Unread 11-01-2022, 08:59 PM
Tory Dave
 
Default

Gold is turd. If you bought in 2011, youíd only just have broke even over the last couple of years. If you bought at the top in 1980 youíd have waited until the 2000s to get back in the green, how the hell can that be deemed a good hedge against inflation.

BTC has done about 11000% in just over a decade .
 
Unread 11-01-2022, 09:24 PM
Neo
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
bitcoin is finite, but crypto that replicates every aspect isn't. what's the point?
There isn't another crypto that replicates BTC though. It's the foundational cryptocurrency with the biggest and most established blockchain. It's arguably become the biggest single brand of anything on the planet. The point of alt coins is pure speculation IMO. Altcoins are essentially gambling similar to that of a game of roulette in the casino.

I don't see the outrageous 1000x gains in BTC happening again, hence why so many people chasing those big gains are seeking them out in alts, such as the Doge and Shiba Inu mania we saw last year.

BTC should be seen as a separate part of the crypto space to altcoins IMO. They are not the same thing.
 
Unread 11-01-2022, 09:31 PM
Tory Dave
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
There isn't another crypto that replicates BTC though. It's the foundational cryptocurrency with the biggest and most established blockchain. It's arguably become the biggest single brand of anything on the planet. The point of alt coins is pure speculation IMO. Altcoins are essentially gambling similar to that of a game of roulette in the casino.

I don't see the outrageous 1000x gains in BTC happening again, hence why so many people chasing those big gains are seeking them out in alts, such as the Doge and Shiba Inu mania we saw last year.

BTC should be seen as a separate part of the crypto space to altcoins IMO. They are not the same thing.
I would de-couple Eth from all other alt coins too now.
 
Unread 11-01-2022, 10:55 PM
tatty
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory Dave
Gold is turd. If you bought in 2011, youíd only just have broke even over the last couple of years. If you bought at the top in 1980 youíd have waited until the 2000s to get back in the green, how the hell can that be deemed a good hedge against inflation.

BTC has done about 11000% in just over a decade .
Long-term research has shown that an allocation of around 5% to gold within a portfolio reduces volatility and increases returns.

It is a little counter-intuitive given gold's performance, but because it marches to its own drum, and often shines during market distress, it is well worth considering.
 
Unread 12-01-2022, 12:21 AM
jem
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
There isn't another crypto that replicates BTC though. It's the foundational cryptocurrency with the biggest and most established blockchain. It's arguably become the biggest single brand of anything on the planet. The point of alt coins is pure speculation IMO. Altcoins are essentially gambling similar to that of a game of roulette in the casino.

I don't see the outrageous 1000x gains in BTC happening again, hence why so many people chasing those big gains are seeking them out in alts, such as the Doge and Shiba Inu mania we saw last year.

BTC should be seen as a separate part of the crypto space to altcoins IMO. They are not the same thing.
not really an answer to the question "what's the point?" is it?
 
Unread 12-01-2022, 12:47 AM
Neo
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
not really an answer to the question "what's the point?" is it?
Donít think I understand your original question then, Jem. Assumed you meant ďwhatís the pointĒ in Bitcoinís finite supply if it can be replicated by an infinite supply of altcoins. If so, Iíve tried to explain that these altcoins arenít actually replicating Bitcoin in any way.

If you were asking ďwhatís the pointĒ in Bitcoin as a whole, then thatís a much more complex question, and one of many answers, I believe, is that itís incorruptible nature helps create a monetary system devoid of much of the issues that blight a traditional fiat-based system, thus creating a much fairer, more transparent system where the individual reclaims autonomy of their financial freedom from the monopoly of centralised banking.
 
Unread 12-01-2022, 12:57 AM
Tory Dave
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Long-term research has shown that an allocation of around 5% to gold within a portfolio reduces volatility and increases returns.

It is a little counter-intuitive given gold's performance, but because it marches to its own drum, and often shines during market distress, it is well worth considering.
Honestly, and Iím not sure on the forum appetite for a Tory-off, but I just donít see it with Gold. It looks an asset you really have to be buying when looking at long-term charts. Like I say, if you FOMOíd in at the top in 2011, itíll have taken you the best part of a decade to get your dollar value back, thatís shambolic.

I have dabbled in PaxG in the cryptoverse which is essentially a stable coin pegged to the value of gold. If there is some kind of staking made available I would consider as Iíd at least then get returns on it. The price action was the financial asset class equivalent of watching United though.

Stop listening to Peter Schiff Tatters.
 
Unread 12-01-2022, 01:02 AM
tatty
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory Dave
Stop listening to Peter Schiff Tatters.

It's Modern Portfolio Theory, which isn't actually that modern because Harry Markowitz came up with it in the 1950's.

The gold isn't there as a returns engine as such, it is there because of its (often) negative correlation to equities.

I am aware of Schiff and his anti-crypto views, I don't share them.
 
Unread 12-01-2022, 01:28 AM
Tory Dave
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
It's Modern Portfolio Theory, which isn't actually that modern because Harry Markowitz came up with it in the 1950's.

The gold isn't there as a returns engine as such, it is there because of its (often) negative correlation to equities.

I am aware of Schiff and his anti-crypto views, I don't share them.
Donít mind the Schiffmeister to be fair. He is a bit of a windbag on Twitter but he comes across as a pretty ok lad in interviews. Iím sure his son is a massive Bitcoiner .

Iím going to have to do some more research. Iím too one-dimensional when I look at these things.
 
Unread 22-01-2022, 11:42 AM
Lok
 
Default

Brutal.
 
Unread 22-01-2022, 12:18 PM
waynes ear's
 
Default

Time to buy
 
Unread 22-01-2022, 12:19 PM
Lok
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Time to buy
I'm waiting a little longer. A lot of this seems to be coming from the uncertainty over US interest rates. I think we could see another 20% in the next week.
 
Unread 24-01-2022, 06:04 PM
Tory Dave
 
Default

Literally everything has been red for f***ing weeks now. How is this even possible??
 
Unread 24-01-2022, 06:48 PM
The Stella Fella
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory Dave
Literally everything has been red for ****ing weeks now. How is this even possible??
You re the expert pal you tell us thickos pls
 
Unread 24-01-2022, 06:49 PM
Sapien
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory Dave
Literally everything has been red for ****ing weeks now. How is this even possible??
Stage 2 - Anger
 
Unread 24-01-2022, 07:49 PM
TravellingRed
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory Dave
Literally everything has been red for f***ing weeks now. How is this even possible??
It's the tory's best friend, the invisible hand of the market.
 
Unread 24-01-2022, 08:11 PM
Neo
 
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Some talk of 10k USD but that may tie in with the 100k BTC that never happened.

Sitting tight with mine for the time being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
ETH down nearly 20% since the day of this post.

Horsehead Ed, the crypto sage.
Make that 40%.

#HorseHeadEd
#CryptoSage
 
Unread 24-01-2022, 09:42 PM
Mr_Ed
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Make that 40%.

#HorseHeadEd
#CryptoSage
Playing the long gameÖ I sleep well.
 
Unread 18-03-2022, 09:43 AM
Mr_Ed
 
Default

Anyone gone in on Apecoin? Went up on Coinbase yesterday and went from £0.76 and is now at £12
 
Unread 18-03-2022, 11:00 AM
Stickman
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Anyone gone in on Apecoin? Went up on Coinbase yesterday and went from £0.76 and is now at £12
One of my good mates who has a mutant ape NFT got awarded a few thousand of these and is sitting on 18k off that alone today.
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Altcoins
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boxing - 2021 Coracao Other Sports & Fitness 1323 01-01-2022 02:00 PM
The UFC 2021 ScarFace Other Sports & Fitness 195 12-12-2021 11:13 PM
6 Nations 2021 redhegemony Other Sports & Fitness 156 27-03-2021 12:16 AM
foty 2021: official* post of the year 2021 reminder thread jem Site Info, Suggestions & Feedback 16 16-02-2021 10:21 PM
foty 2021: official* thread of the year 2021 reminder thread jem Site Info, Suggestions & Feedback 6 05-02-2021 08:32 PM
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:10 PM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2022 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.