United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Money

Unread 12-03-2021, 04:57 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmes?
You reckon? Been looking at that possibility but worried about losses.

Are Hargreaves Lansdowne worth a look?
Vanguard are nice and easy. You could bung it in a S&Ss ISA on a tracker like S&P 500. Over the last 5 years, 10,000 would now be worth 21,000 without any additional deposits.

This reccomends an iShares S&P tracker as the costs are very low.

Not financial advice, value can go up and down.

Unread 12-03-2021, 05:00 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:

Premium bonds if you want it to be guaranteed not to make a loss in my opinion. Savings accounts at the moment are a complete waste of time, I've been paying the maximum off my mortgage I can without a fee (10%) and putting the rest in PB. I have some money in a fixed 3 year but I opened that before interest rates plummeted so I got 2.65% which still isn't great tbh.

Unread 12-03-2021, 05:10 PM
tatty

Be very very careful investing in equities with your timescales and loss aversion.

Twice since 2000 there have been stock market crashes of nearly 50% and a couple of other big drops of 25% plus.

You aren't going to get any sort of meaningful return so the Premium Bond suggestion isn't the worst, you might get really lucky but you'll still have your cash at when you come to need it.

Unread 12-03-2021, 05:44 PM
programmes?

S&P looks interesting.

Cheers

Unread 12-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:

vanguard, as per measley's post.

Unread 12-03-2021, 07:13 PM
Neo

Lightbulb

Quote:
S&P looks interesting.

Cheers
S&P is tipped at returning around 6% over 2021.

It's heavily weighted by Tech giants, many of which are seen as overvalued, so it could end up returning even less, and if there's a big correction after the madness of last year's growth, it could be a negative year.

The FTSE100 may be a better option, given the weighting in hospitality, which should see a decent rebound post-lockdown and through the summer. It's also seen as an undervalued index overall, unlike the S&P.

Unread 12-03-2021, 07:17 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
S&P is tipped at returning around 6% over 2021.

It's heavily weighted by Tech giants, many of which are seen as overvalued, so it could end up returning even less, and if there's a big correction after the madness of last year's growth, it could be a negative year.

The FTSE100 may be a better option, given the weighting in hospitality, which should see a decent rebound post-lockdown and through the summer. It's also seen as an undervalued index overall, unlike the S&P.
The FTSE100 is dominated by banks and oilers.

An uptick in inflation would be a tailwind for both so it could out-perform the S&P500 over the next few years.

In the op's position though he should be going nowhere near the markets.

Unread 12-03-2021, 07:22 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
The FTSE100 is dominated by banks and oilers.

An uptick in inflation would be a tailwind for both so it could out-perform the S&P500 over the next few years.

In the op's position though he should be going nowhere near the markets.
He's looking short term, so probably right.

Unread 16-11-2021, 02:41 PM
armchair

Quote:
Dear [redacted],
We're writing to let you know that we are making some changes to your account terms and conditions, and they will come into effect from 15 February 2022.

These changes are to do with negative interest rates and how we may apply them in the future to personal customers (Consumers) who hold current and deposit accounts with us. A Consumer, in this case, means any individual that has an Account for personal use, not connected with their trade, profession or business.
email from the bank