United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts
Closed Thread

Unread 09-02-2021, 12:21 AM
jem

accidentally watched safe this w/e. avoid.

unsympathetic characters, poor script, bad acting, ridiculous plot twists - of the kind where it's trying to be clever, but isn't, and it still needs people acting out of character to pull it all together. steaming pile of excrement.

if some stupid c*** that you wouldn't bother having a conversation with recommends something, it's going to be shite, isn't it?

at least traces had molly windsor.

sorry, this is meant to be recommend some good tv. sports and the news. there you go.

Unread 09-02-2021, 02:57 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
accidentally watched safe this w/e. avoid.

unsympathetic characters, poor script, bad acting, ridiculous plot twists - of the kind where it's trying to be clever, but isn't, and it still needs people acting out of character to pull it all together. steaming pile of excrement.

if some stupid c*** that you wouldn't bother having a conversation with recommends something, it's going to be shite, isn't it?

at least traces had molly windsor.

sorry, this is meant to be recommend some good tv. sports and the news. there you go.
Yeah, it wasnít great.

Watched most of that Danish submarine murder thing on Iplayer.

Pretty good considering they leave out the killer. The cadaver dogs part is mental. Capt Nemo showing up

Unread 09-02-2021, 03:05 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Anyone like Schitt Creek?

Watched the first and enjoyed it.

2nd episode of ZeroZeroZero done. Brilliant.
Schitts Creek is funny for a while but it's basically the same joke for abut 100 episodes. Same as most American sit coms. Couldn't be arsed after half a season.

ZZZ is quality, although loses it a bit when they end up in the desert. The Mexican segments were by far the best.

Unread 09-02-2021, 08:47 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Schitts Creek is funny for a while but it's basically the same joke for abut 100 episodes. Same as most American sit coms. Couldn't be arsed after half a season.

ZZZ is quality, although loses it a bit when they end up in the desert. The Mexican segments were by far the best.
Yeah pretty much this. The Mexican bits were fantastic, the Italian bits were good (but no Gomorrah) and the other bits got progressively less interesting as it went on.

Good, but not great would be my verdict.

Unread 09-02-2021, 09:28 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

just stumbled across 'a very english scandal' with hugh grant, hugh granting it up as liberal leader jeremy thorpe. mini series of 3 episodes, first one very good.

prior to that spent a week trawling through netflix and amazon. tried zero zero zero, chess bird, the right stuff... bag o shite!

Unread 09-02-2021, 10:05 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Anyone like Schitt Creek?

Watched the first and enjoyed it.
It's wonderful. But it rubs a lot of people up the wrong way as it isn't "laugh out loud" hilarious - people seem to go into it with expectations of a riotous LOL-a-thon for some reason . It's a lovely little show about family, performed by family (Johnny, David & Twyler are all immediate IRL family) that has a bunch of improv chucked in. It's endearingly charming and I don't think too many other shows have the same close-knit feel. Eminently giffable as well.

Watched more of Ramy - highly recommended.

Unread 09-02-2021, 07:24 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
just stumbled across 'a very english scandal' with hugh grant, hugh granting it up as liberal leader jeremy thorpe. mini series of 3 episodes, first one very good.

prior to that spent a week trawling through netflix and amazon. tried zero zero zero, chess bird, the right stuff... bag o shite!
You're just about the first person I've come across who didn't like it

Agree that the Thorpe drama-doc is good.

Unread 10-02-2021, 11:13 AM
Neo

Halfway through Season 2 of Pose. Good show; not sure if it's as emotionally hard-hitting as season 1, and some of the fringe characters aren't developed very much, but it does a great job at exploring the horrific impact of the **** epidemic in late 80s/early 90s New York.

As an aside, re-watched the first ever episode of Deadwood last night, as it was showing on Sky Atlantic. f*** me, there was more in that one hour than there is in the entirety of seasons in 99% of other TV trash.

Greatest show ever made. Just the dialogue alone merits that title. This throwaway scene where we're introduced to Al and Ellsworth is just so good. "You conniving heavy-thumbed motherfu..."

Unread 10-02-2021, 11:39 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
It's wonderful. But it rubs a lot of people up the wrong way as it isn't "laugh out loud" hilarious - people seem to go into it with expectations of a riotous LOL-a-thon for some reason . It's a lovely little show about family, performed by family (Johnny, David & Twyler are all immediate IRL family) that has a bunch of improv chucked in. It's endearingly charming and I don't think too many other shows have the same close-knit feel. Eminently giffable as well.

Watched more of Ramy - highly recommended.
My mother has taken to watching Schitt's. The only other sitcom I've seen her enjoy is Everybody Loves Raymond.

I started watching M Night Shitelyman's 'Doll Baby' on Apple.
Peculiar first episode. Not sure I'm all that interested in where it's going.

Unread 10-02-2021, 11:50 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
My mother has taken to watching Schitt's. The only other sitcom I've seen her enjoy is Everybody Loves Raymond.

I started watching M Night Shitelyman's 'Doll Baby' on Apple.
Peculiar first episode. Not sure I'm all that interested in where it's going.
i got a year trial of this.

you pay, what? 4-5 quid a month.

seems most of the stuff you have to pay for even when you're already paid for it.

Unread 10-02-2021, 11:55 AM
armchair

Thinking of getting into "The First 48." I think it may have been recommended on here in the past.
Quote:
The First 48 follows detectives from around the country during these first critical hours as they race against time to find the suspect. Gritty and fast-paced, it takes viewers behind the scenes of real-life investigations with unprecedented access to crime scenes, autopsies, forensic processing, and interrogations.
On it's 22nd season.

Unread 10-02-2021, 11:55 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre

seems most of the stuff you have to pay for even when you're already paid for it.
Apple didn't get to be the richest company on the planet by accident

Unread 10-02-2021, 11:57 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Apple didn't get to be the richest company on the planet by accident
some of their stuff is excellent

i really enjoyed their Beastie Boy's documentary.

Unread 10-02-2021, 12:06 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
some of their stuff is excellent

i really enjoyed their Beastie Boy's documentary.
I'm sure their products are as well. But they have perfected the ability to get people to pay way more for them than they would probably like

Unread 10-02-2021, 12:22 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
I'm sure their products are as well. But they have perfected the ability to get people to pay way more for them than they would probably like
"The company's service sector has a profit margin of nearly 60 percent"

Disgraceful bunch of bastards. Pay your taxes you c***s.

(said the moron with the Iphone...)

Unread 10-02-2021, 12:31 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Thinking of getting into "The First 48." I think it may have been recommended on here in the past.

On it's 22nd season.
Very absorbing show.

Really does make you wonder how a TV show can get access to such intimate detective work.

There's literally a camera crew following detectives around as they investigate murders.

Unread 10-02-2021, 07:21 PM
Time For Heroes

Watched series 1 of Lodge 49 on Amazon last week. Pretty good, entertaining fare about a bum who finds a lodge ring, somehow joins up and gets involved in everyone's lives. Some excellent peripheral characters too (English guy and corporate woman especially).

Unread 10-02-2021, 07:32 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair

On it's 22nd season.
Decent. Sky 156 has lots of stuff like this. Loving Homicide Hunter with Joe Kenda in the afternoons while working from home, although starting to see the odd repeat now

Unread 10-02-2021, 07:52 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Halfway through Season 2 of Pose. Good show; not sure if it's as emotionally hard-hitting as season 1, and some of the fringe characters aren't developed very much, but it does a great job at exploring the horrific impact of the **** epidemic in late 80s/early 90s New York.

As an aside, re-watched the first ever episode of Deadwood last night, as it was showing on Sky Atlantic. f*** me, there was more in that one hour than there is in the entirety of seasons in 99% of other TV trash.

Greatest show ever made. Just the dialogue alone merits that title. This throwaway scene where we're introduced to Al and Ellsworth is just so good. "You conniving heavy-thumbed motherfu..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7uaFhs9wrY
Yes Neo
The best show in the history of the medium. Just poetry. Watching three episodes back to back was like being in a bath with a ball of opium. Loved the movie to end it the other year too.

Unread 10-02-2021, 08:40 PM
Cream

Quote:

The Apple + tab has all the free Apple Original stuff.

There isnít much. But itís growing.

Defending Jacob is v good.
Thereís an alternative telling of the moon landings thatís good, youíll probably like it coz itís science.
The Morning Show is meant to be alright, I watched a couple of episodes.

Oh and thereís The Servant. M Night Shite supernatural horror. People seem to like that.
Closed Thread